Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Definitely seems like this week has seen new cases per day plateau which is good news, positivity rate seems to have fallen a bit this week as well, from a high of 15.2% on Sunday to 8% today.

R has been estimated as between 0.9 to 1.3.... 

Hopefully we see further progress and the beginnings of a reduction in case load through the next week, and a ramping up of vaccination numbers.

48 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Sturgeon mentioned takeaways today when talking of more restrictions.

They were never under any restriction before although the big chains all closed for a while voluntarily.

Almost all chippies, kebab shops etc have been open throughout.

Is it not what was being talked about the other day, restricting takeaways from walk-in orders and only allowing deliveries (maybe even stopping collections of any kind)?

6 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:
The media seem determined to get fitba stopped judging by the last couple of days briefing.

Its difficult to argue why it should continue at the moment, imo

112 people in the 66 English football league clubs tested ahead of the FA Cup weekend have tested positive, plus 40 from the Premier League earlier in the week. Steve Bruce of Newcastle has probably been the most vocal on questioning if games go ahead (he has had two first team players missing for over a month due to effects of Covid), and he says it's "morally wrong" to keep playing.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55590296

43 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Looking at the graph of London it seems to have started to grow towards the end of August, beginning of September; then seems to have tailed off again a wee bit at the end of October, then since then has shot up like a rocket.

That's a right mystery, so it is.

An over weight Garry O'Connor in his Morton strip.....

Anyway by the same token, as to which you're alluding,  the numbers therefore should be coming down just now then? I'm not seeing that myself

Just now, Steven W said:

An over weight Garry O'Connor in his Morton strip.....

Anyway by the same token, as to which you're alluding,  the numbers therefore should be coming down just now then? I'm not seeing that myself

Can you think of anything in particular that had a lot more social mixing two weeks before a return to school in January that didn't happen two weeks before a return to school in August and October?

Definitely seems like this week has seen new cases per day plateau which is good news, positivity rate seems to have fallen a bit this week as well, from a high of 15.2% on Sunday to 8% today.
R has been estimated as between 0.9 to 1.3.... 
Hopefully we see further progress and the beginnings of a reduction in case load through the next week, and a ramping up of vaccination numbers.
Hospital numbers, whilst obviously not good are promising in terms of admissions against ICU numbers. Maybe points to the treatments developed over the last few months being quite effective and leading to better outcomes. Except that deaths are high. Cant quite fathom that out.

Treatability is probably the least talked about way out of this mess which is quite odd really when you think about it.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Hospital numbers, whilst obviously not good are promising in terms of admissions against ICU numbers. Maybe points to the treatments developed over the last few months being quite effective and leading to better outcomes. Except that deaths are high. Cant quite fathom that out.

Treatability is probably the least talked about way out of this mess which is quite odd really when you think about it.

Yeah, if you look up the Scot Gov modelling papers, the forecasts for hospitalisations are pretty much up the centre line, but ICU admissions are  consistently well under the central forecast.

Yeah, if you look up the Scot Gov modelling papers, the forecasts for hospitalisations are pretty much up the centre line, but ICU admissions are  consistently well under the central forecast.
I suppose it has to be either treatment success or the virus mutation. There has always been chat about mutation tending towards greater transmission/lesser severity. I guess that will all be getting looked at.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
2 minutes ago, renton said:

I suppose it has to be either treatment success or the virus mutation. There has always been chat about mutation tending towards greater transmission/lesser severity. I guess that will all be getting looked at.

I think the icu trend predates the new variant being widespread. I think, certainly, the Dexamethazone treatments are working to reduce severity.

Just now, renton said:

I think the icu trend predates the new variant being widespread. I think, certainly, the Dexamethazone treatments are working to reduce severity.

Good news. Those other two reported the other day are said to work well with dexamethasone aswell. 

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Can anyone see any way or reason that scotland won't just be like London within weeks?

I think the modelling I’ve seen was estimating between 2900 and 8300 (worst case scenario) people in hospital by 1/2/2021.

As it stands we are slightly more biased to the worst case scenario but not by much which is good. But even 3000 odd in hospital is 25% of all beds which is not good.

That being said the NHS is currently continuing with all elective work so thats good. Plan I believe is to carry on with that until it reaches a point that its not feasible or safe. 

tl:dr 

image.gif.4aabd14a438103541a8a9f230d09967b.gif

NHS Scotland ^^^

Can anyone see any way or reason that scotland won't just be like London within weeks?

Because Scotland’s most populous area was put into tier 4 for pretty much the whole of December whilst London was allowed to go radge for 3 weeks?

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Yes. We're well behind where London was three weeks ago. Cases aren't as high, aren't rising as quickly and our lockdown came in much quicker.

Is there any way or reason to think we will be? 

Maybe. I don't recall feeling frightened/panicked in March/April though,but there was certainly a strangeness to it then that I don't feel now. I wish I did. I don't like the notion of a sense of acceptance.
My mood has swung wildly at times during all this. Much of the time I just plod on but then, every so often, the enormity of what we are living through and what and who we are missing, strikes me and that leaves me, even just a minute or two, feeling utterly bereft. 
Do others ever feel the same? 
I was coping fine, but the announcement of lockdown just before Xmas floored me mentally even though I knew it was coming. That and some quine fucking me about hasn't helped. Just got to take it one day at a time, easier said than done though.

Northern, Southern and Isthmian leagues in England taking a vote on terminating the season and null and voiding it....
The National League looks to have no chance of being completed unless they keep going right into the summer.

They are playing a 44 game season and the most anyone has played so far is 17 games. Dover have only played 10.