Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well clearly you could shut absolutely everything, couldn't you?

Only leave the house for medical appointments or absolutely essential work, supermarkets do delivery only etc etc. And who knows, maybe that's the right answer in the current circumstances. But there broadly seems to be agreement across society that we don't need to be as draconian as that, and a balance needs to be struck. Finding that balance is difficult.

Yeah, that's what countries who got on top of it did, also completely shut your borders.  It would be much better than this dragging on and on and on and on and over 100k dying. But our government chose a different path.

53 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

You can choose to wear a mask if you want but its irrelevant as your mask doesn't protect you, its protects the people around you. So if the people around you are not wearing masks, and they're not, you are risking your life every time you go to work.  Its not fair to ask someone to do that.

You'll probably find that quite a few folk are nervous about this and potentially a couple of people wearing masks would start a bit of a landslide. That's whta happened at my wife's work and now they all wear masks. When she started back, no-one did

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

A factory or similar is not a public building. If you were the only person in 30m2 I don't think it would be proportional to demand they wear a mask.

The employer clearly feels there is no risk to staff as I said before they must have every measure other than face coverings in place on the factory floor and masks will be worn in communal areas which is law so clearly there is basic level of protection.

This, a blanket rule mandating masks at all times in every work place would be silly and unenforceable. 

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

A 'leave it to the employer to work it out' strategy that helps explain why we are where we are now.

The claim that the onus should be on the employee to contact union officials/philpy them to HSE is utterly ridiculous. This is a pandemic impacting every part of life, it is not a top shelf stacked too heavily. Unions have insufficient power to make changes (even the teachers failed to secure a credible working environment) and the HSE is not equipped to swoop on every workplace in the middle of a pandemic.

The SG should absolutely be prescriptive about what is required in an indoor (and outdoor) workspace respectively. They have been prescriptive about how many people you can mix with from another household for months so what makes the far more risky workplace environment magically exempt?

The HASAWA has placed the responsibility on both employer and employee to manage significantly more dangerous working conditions than covid for decades though. Having been used to working under that act, why cant employers be reasonably expected to do what is neccessary, employees expected to follow said guidance, and the HSE to be contacted in the event of a failure to do so? 

Like 101 said, it's a bit different for employers. For me that can reasonably be expected to be told what constitutes "covid secure" and act to make that happen. 

38 minutes ago, hk blues said:

In my place we have to wear both a mask and a visor - it's shite but the rules are there to protect us.  Sure, we can tell them to F***K off but then expect to be paying fines on a daily basis and don't expect to be going to a shop or such anytime soon as you won't get in.  Just yesterday I was on a local jeepney and one of the passengers wasn't wearing his mask - the driver on the jeepney next to ours at the traffic lights told him to put it on.  Here, it's even required in cars when there are no passengers. When we're walking within our community very few people wear them (including myself) which shows people only comply because they have no choice, not because they think it's safer.    

This is brilliant, this is the kind of attitude we need here or we'll never get on top of it. But it has to come from govt, not people like Cummings undermining compliance. 

I know Gary Neville talks a lot of shite at the best of times, wonder where he is getting the line that people will only be allowed out once a week. Full scale anarchy if that “rule” was introduced 
0AE77D8E-39DA-48D2-ADD5-4AB0E8CEB46F.thumb.jpeg.d07435898b9c65ff398a9346d60034b6.jpeg
You do realise people in Spain managed 7 weeks without even being allowed out for exercise without anarchic behaviour ?

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
I know Gary Neville talks a lot of shite at the best of times, wonder where he is getting the line that people will only be allowed out once a week. Full scale anarchy if that “rule” was introduced 
0AE77D8E-39DA-48D2-ADD5-4AB0E8CEB46F.thumb.jpeg.d07435898b9c65ff398a9346d60034b6.jpeg

You do realise people in Spain managed 7 weeks without even being allowed out for exercise without anarchic behaviour ?

You're right, but that was in March. The UK Gov could have done something similar, but chose not to.

People are now tired and fed up with restrictions, and the level of acceptance and compliance is lower in general.

That's not to say it won't happen, just that the public mood is different now.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Good for them. Personally I couldn’t stay indoors for more than a day. I’d hope they would make an exemption for those suffering from poor mental health 

19 minutes ago, coprolite said:

This is highly disingenuous. 

Your original post was also bemoaning factories being open. It was obvious from the context and my post that i was taking exception to that complaint, not the subsequent 3 pages of you shifting the goalposts to mask wearing, which is a far more reasonable complaint. 

If they are obviously unsafe then there's a breach of legislation. 

No its not, if the legislation does not mandate masks they are not in breach of them by not wearing them.  That patently means their workplace is obviously unsafe, but they're still not in breach of legislation.

You completely swerved my question then why a workplace deemed unsafe in March is apparently safe now with infections circulating at a higher level than in March. It doesn't matter though I'm not really interested in your opinion on that.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This, a blanket rule mandating masks at all times in every work place would be silly and unenforceable. 

Pish, they've done it all over the world and its worked fine. Did you not read the post from the guy in the 
Phillipines?  There's a reason we are the most infected country on earth you know.

12 minutes ago, madwullie said:

You'll probably find that quite a few folk are nervous about this and potentially a couple of people wearing masks would start a bit of a landslide. That's whta happened at my wife's work and now they all wear masks. When she started back, no-one did

He does but there's a lot of idiots and kids work there, its made no difference. He's raised it with the owner etc as is friendly, they've said until govt mandates it they won't be doing it. 

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

0AE77D8E-39DA-48D2-ADD5-4AB0E8CEB46F.jpeg

No idea where he's getting it from but the rules in England are already that people can only go out for exercise once a day, whereas there is no limit been set in Scotland.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The HASAWA has placed the responsibility on both employer and employee to manage significantly more dangerous working conditions than covid for decades though. Having been used to working under that act, why cant employers be reasonably expected to do what is neccessary, employees expected to follow said guidance, and the HSE to be contacted in the event of a failure to do so? 

Like 101 said, it's a bit different for employers. For me that can reasonably be expected to be told what constitutes "covid secure" and act to make that happen. 

Again that's nonsense mate, not one of us alive has ever seen significantly more dangerous working conditions than Covid. Never before could a colleague walking five feet away from you kill you. That's just drivel.

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

No its not, if the legislation does not mandate masks they are not in breach of them by not wearing them.  That patently means their workplace is obviously unsafe, but they're still not in breach of legislation.

You completely swerved my question then why a workplace deemed unsafe in March is apparently safe now with infections circulating at a higher level than in March. It doesn't matter though I'm not really interested in your opinion on that.

The workplace is less safe without masks, not obviously unsafe (just because it doesn't have masks). 

It's not a question just of whether it is safe or not but an overview of what the costs and benefits are of it being open. The situation now is different from March as is the level of knowledge about transmission. 

The infection rate seems to be stabilising, and the vaccine is on its way. Closing down the entire economy to the extent they did in March when they didn't have a clue what was happening, to stop the hospitals going beyond capacity, would be an overreaction. As would having a blanket rule on 24/7 mask wearing in every work place whether needed or not.