Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Moomintroll
I might go for a walk. I want to see what it's like outside when there aren't any people around.
As long as you only do it once a day.

Just now, Moomintroll said:
4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
I might go for a walk. I want to see what it's like outside when there aren't any people around.

What about wanking in public?

19 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The key workers thing is correct, as is keeping trains running. Problem is they haven’t even defined key workers yet so until a business is told to shut down they won’t. End result, jam packed trains today.

Id expect this response from a third world country. I’d wager we have paid experts who study and have planed for such an event. Surely outbreaks would be put on a scale and plans drawn up to deal with each type of event. Even if it was a small localised outbreak like Ebola there should have been travel bans and testing put in place. China didn’t lockdown millions for a laugh, it was a major event months back and still we continued on as if nothing was wrong. Our response has arguably been the worst of any western nation.

The herd immunity and immediate u-turn says to me that they weren’t following any scientific advice of note and had schemed up some bizarre advice that went against WHO guidelines plus what you saw happening in China, Italy and Iran.

I would have thought that cobra or high level meetings would have input from the very best scientists in the uk rather than political advisers and also there would be a voting system in place where you must follow facts and evidence and show no political bias.

It seems like this Cummings p***k has had too much of a say.

The Tories, Labour, the SNP, the DUP and Sinn Fein. The Chief Medical Officers of all four administrations. The Chief Scientific Adviser and Scotland's National Clinical Director. They're all in the pocket of Cummings, are they? He's a pantomime villain here.

Haven't you noticed that all four administrations have followed the same policies at almost exactly the same times, and used the same language when they do so? Cobra is not in charge of Scotland, SGoRR has that role here. Devolution is a real thing.

Responses to a flu pandemic have been extensively modelled and prepared for since 2009. This includes regular exercises. But a contingency plan only sets up the command structures, the logistics and gets you through the first few days. After that you have to react to events.

The so-called herd immunity plan was based on sound epidemiological data at the time. They thought, given the known R0 and mortality rate, they could let it work through the population while protecting the vulnerable, without massive economic carnage. What they hadn't realised until the Imperial College paper was how many people would become ill enough to need ICU care before recovering - that was going to overwhelm the NHS no matter what.

It's far, far, far too early to say which countries have got this right or wrong. Epidemiologists say it's very likely there will be further waves of Covid-19. Imperial College concluded that the suppression model would take 18 months of restriction being on for two-thirds of the time to be effective. We're not even at the end of the beginning.

People have created the narrative that the government have made a mess of this because that's what they want to believe is true. 

Guest Moomintroll
I just can't see how they can be informed enough to make blanket decisions about whether someone's work is or isn't essential.
Seems to be Emergency Services, NHS Staff, Teachers, Food Production, Supply & Retail & Pharmaceuticals will be the main ones. Agree that it is an extremely massive grey area as to what is essential, for example, Vets?

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I was just thinking that. I could go out in the morning then later in the afternoon, plod would never know.