Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC News - Covid: Doctors want to keep some measures after 19 July
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57703959

The BMA would also like, amongst other things, for boxing to be banned and for all smoking in cars to be banned so it's not a given that they get their way on everything.

The BMA would also like, amongst other things, for boxing to be banned and for all smoking in cars to be banned so it's not a given that they get their way on everything.
Those two sound like better public health measures than their proposals in the BBC article !

Todays daily news from Batshit Thailand.
We have run out of vaccines, it seems the company which makes the AZ vaccine in Thailand (a company owned by the King, which has never made a vaccine in it puff before), doesn't know what it doing. 
A hospital director from Thonburi Hospital, has also tried to purchase Moderna vaccine and was told he couldn't as it's only the Thai government which can place orders for Covid medication. 
Moderna were then contacted to see  what Thailands  order is. 
We have never made an order.  It also turns out we have never made an order for Pfizer either.  
This all happened yesterday, and today we made our first order for Moderna, well we have put a draft together to make an order, which has to be approved.
Also the PM was photographed in Phuket, with no mask and sitting around with his fellow generals having a jolly.
With Boris and Co. in charge it amazes me that our vaccine programme didn't turn out like this.

On 30/06/2021 at 16:03, Gnash said:

It's an interesting point but if we were close achieving herd immunity it would be difficult for the virus to be spreading so rapidly as it is at the moment.  That will happen eventually of course, I suspect it will be more like a few months rather than a few weeks.  The reduction in transmission for the Delta variant is significantly less than for the original strain (which is what the vaccines are based on), so some vaccinated people are still getting it, albeit in a much milder form.

As you suggest though, the main thing is the stress on the health system and then ultimately the number of deaths, neither of which is causing a big problem at the moment.

Except if you're the one that's dead.

On 01/07/2021 at 10:08, Michael W said:

If I was putting together a caricature of the biggest w****r in Britain, it probably would be an estate agent from Essex. 

Blue suit, red tie, shit haircut and that fucking accent

"I fink this house has well good potential innit." 

That's not an accent, that's just the way they speak, ken, like?

On 01/07/2021 at 11:10, Ron Aldo said:

I'd love to know how a respiratory virus can give you the shits.

You've never heard the phrase "after 60 minutes so and so was breathing out of his arse"?

On 01/07/2021 at 11:21, Snafu said:

Yeah, I've put on a stone in weight since the start of 2020.

Quite a few people I know have fared even worse.

I'm now 12.5 stone, the heaviest I've ever been, probably put on half a stone since lockdown.

On 01/07/2021 at 20:11, Billy Jean King said:

It started at 50% capacity but is gradually being ramped up to 100% for next weekend. Also it's 50% complex capacity not necessarily individual courts.

Absolute NAP that Wembley will be upped to capacity if England beat Ukraine. Amazing how it's "safe" when it suits !

Quite so.

On 01/07/2021 at 23:03, Distant Doonhamer said:

They won't all be idiots or subservient robots. It's perfectly understandable that some people are really struggling with this given the messages they've had  around Covid over the last 18 months.

Edit to add I'm not for a moment saying that's what we should be doing. We need to continue to bin the restrictions given the huge success of the vaccines. It's not that simple for some people though.

It'll have to be when everything's binned.

21 hours ago, The Master said:

And if his response to high cases is simply “open a window”, that’s a fairly significant (and positive) shift from him. 

Even just a few weeks ago he’d have been talking about keeping an eye on things, considering measures etc. 

And talking to the guys to see what they think.

20 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Do you count 8 weeks from the day of your first jab?  If so then I’d be due it on Tuesday.  No letter yet and seeing as I deliver the post to my own house I can hardly blame the mail.

Check your bin.

18 hours ago, super_carson said:

Burnham is clearly using this to further his own political ambitions.  In the grand scheme of things, a mayor doesn't wield a huge amount of power but by making statements like this, exploiting Sturgeon's cock-up with the Manchester travel ban publically and continually picking fights with both the SG and Westminster he increases his political capital.  

He's a bit of a cock, really.  

He's a politician

52 minutes ago, SoapMactavish said:

Its a basic infection control measure in the place you are probably most likely to pick the virus up short of walking into ITU. There is limited space in the ED’s due to having to still have red/green areas and the fact we are still getting significant numbers of  Covid +ve folk into ED. You could still carry it and there may be folk in A&E who are neutropenic or on Chemo as well who are exceptionally high risk so its to protect them as well.

This is likely to always be the case in hospital for the forseeable and to be honest its actually a good thing as it stops maw, paw and the entire family appearing in as some folk seem to do. (not a dig) 

Hopefully your wee one is okay. 

This all makes perfect sense other than having no idea on the medical terms and acronyms.

Gonnae dumb it down in future for the P&B massive please? 

10 hours ago, dave258 said:

Are they f**k, its closer to 30%. Been up and down from London a few times and about 10 people in a carriage on average. 

One person to every row on LNER. 

Scotrail has never had seats blocked out apart for staff. First bus recently took away the seat covers.

17 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

This all makes perfect sense other than having no idea on the medical terms and acronyms.

Sorry! Neutropenic is basically someone without a functioning immune system, ususally due to chemotherapy or stuff like that. 

17 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

ITU - International Telecommunication Union

ED - East Dunbartonshire

A&E - Arts and Entertainment Network

HTH - here/happy to help

1 hour ago, SoapMactavish said:

Its a basic infection control measure in the place you are probably most likely to pick the virus up short of walking into ITU. There is limited space in the ED’s due to having to still have red/green areas and the fact we are still getting significant numbers of  Covid +ve folk into ED. You could still carry it and there may be folk in A&E who are neutropenic or on Chemo as well who are exceptionally high risk so its to protect them as well.

This is likely to always be the case in hospital for the forseeable and to be honest its actually a good thing as it stops maw, paw and the entire family appearing in as some folk seem to do. (not a dig) 

Hopefully your wee one is okay. 

Wife is in hospital having given birth. Due to the regulations I have had three swabs in 24 hours and will have at least one more. Only one visitor allowed and if you are staying overnight you need to pay for the PCR at $145. Kind of expect the excessive swabbing and costs for PCR are to discourage visitors.

Our other daughter is not allowed near the hospital, hence me having to come and go and have multiple tests.

Not ideal, but really not a big deal.

Was down at the Caird Hall getting my second dose of that sweet AZ goodness. Looking at the number of ticks next to names on the receptionists lists I’d say about 20% attendance rate for appointments. 

No one in the queue for walk ins either - probably because everyone in Dundee either has Covid or is isolating right now.
I would suggest that 20% is generous. I think your second point is probably fair, along with the press constantly coming down to report whenever there's a big queue which will almost definitely be putting people off.

I got my 2nd Pfizer yesterday at the Galleon Centre in Kilmarnock. Phoned the helpline because there was no sign of a second appointment and they gave me one for 21st of July. Asked if there were any drop in centres open and they didn’t know. 
So I googled it and low and behold there were drop in centres open. So turned up at the Galleon and was done within 10 mins. No queue. 

Absolutely fuming/frustrated this morning. Our wee one has to go to A&E, hopefully nothing serious, but only one parent is allowed to go. I’ve been double jabbed, wife has been single jabbed. We’re teachers so have about a thousand of these test kits in the house, each testing negative, but only one can go to the hospital. Honesty, get this shite so far to f**k.
Odds On to come out with the Rona if Ninewells.
Hope everything okay.

12 hours ago, anotherchance said:

At least it’ll give people who’ve done a tough mudder something else to talk about, other than the fact that they’ve done a tough mudder.

I saw the news report and someone who was supposed to be doing it was blaming the football. 

In the eyes of many we are definitely the covidy underclass to blame for everything. 

Some Covid measures should be kept in place in England beyond 19 July - when all legal restrictions are due to be lifted, a doctors' union says. 

The British Medical Association is calling for the continued use of face masks and new ventilation standards.

It says it is crucial to protect the NHS, health and education amid what it says is an alarming rise in cases.

Protection from what? The vaccines are crushing the hospital numbers and that’s before everyone is fully immunised. 

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

Protection from what? The vaccines are crushing the hospital numbers and that’s before everyone is fully immunised. 

Think the problem is more to do with staff shortages due to Track and Trace rather than increased hospitalisation. That and all the backlog.

E5EL7IJX0AIi3mT?format=png&name=900x900