Coronavirus (COVID-19)

To be fair to the likes of Ferguson, he did claim that the wave would likely plateau across September, and start to tail off in October, likely never to come round again.

On that part, he looks correct.

That he was absolutely miles out with the numbers is standard for him.

20 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

+1 for today’s tests right here. Now to wait and see if I’m part of the positivity problem or if I’m a negative nelly.

Looking at past posts I don’t think you’re positivity has ever existed let alone been a problem.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

This is extremely harsh.

I'm positive about lots of things. For example, I'm positive there is an issue with your grammar in the quoted post.

It must be the most common grammatical error on here and I am one of the most common posters so it makes sense.

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm assuming it's the highly predictable staffing crisis because of the constant obsessive testing and pinging

I would imagine it's this and a general lack of staff which I think is subject to a big recruitment drive at the moment possibly to little to late.

Things in Florida got pretty bad, but it certainly didn't collapse. Good thing we have basically the entire population vaccinated, unlike them, so I'm sure the knicker wetting will stop any day now...

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58530550

What on earth is going on here. There are less than 1000 patients in hospital across the whole of Scotland with covid.

Why are ambulances taking 3 hours to hand over patients?

Does anyone on here actually know why things are falling apart?

The BBC article says everything but the reason for it.

I'm assuming it's the highly predictable staffing crisis because of the constant obsessive testing and pinging but is it something else altogether?

The main reason is staffing problems within the nhs. Whilst some departments have had it easy quite a few have been battered during covid. Many staff have left, retired early or are off sick currently. It's also a time where many take their holiday and this adds to the problem. A+E is also probably busier due to gp's hiding away and Nhs24 ducking calls. 1000 patients isn't an insignificant amount at a time of year when hospital are usually quieter. Almost all hospitals have cancelled elective surgery for the month with many of the staff involved being redeployed to assist with covid patients  In normal times the Nhs runs on goodwill from staff to get by and isn't best suited to step up and deal with this well

My uncle, who has dementia,  fell down the stairs at a hotel in Pitlochry and split his head open. This was at 9pm. The ambulance turned up at 2am.  I've seen a few reports of similar incidents over the last few weeks with ambulances taking hours to arrive.  Given his condition,  I'd have thought he would have been a priority, but apparently not.  Poor sod is now on end of life palliative care. Fucking heartbreaking. 

5 minutes ago, philpy said:

My uncle, who has dementia,  fell down the stairs at a hotel in Pitlochry and split his head open. This was at 9pm. The ambulance turned up at 2am.  I've seen a few reports of similar incidents over the last few weeks with ambulances taking hours to arrive.  Given his condition,  I'd have thought he would have been a priority, but apparently not.  Poor sod is now on end of life palliative care. Fucking heartbreaking. 

i know of a young {well she's younger than me} woman, early 40's i think, she's had a shite last 12 months, had a leg off and god knows what else, her partner had to call for an ambulance last saturday evening and it never arrived until 5 am on the Sunday morning, i really don't know what the f**k is going on.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58530550

What on earth is going on here. There are less than 1000 patients in hospital across the whole of Scotland with covid.

Why are ambulances taking 3 hours to hand over patients?

Does anyone on here actually know why things are falling apart?

The BBC article says everything but the reason for it.

I'm assuming it's the highly predictable staffing crisis because of the constant obsessive testing and pinging but is it something else altogether?

The Ambulance service is on its knees because of cuts, covid has increased the pressure, it takes longer to get the ambulance ready for the next call, the crew has to suit up properly too, protocols in hospitals slow admission/handovers over. Mental health triage is so incredibly difficult because CPN’s will do absolutely everything they can to avoid seeing patients, so ambulance crews and other first responders are stuck with these cases for longer too. Its a perfect storm of fuckwittery. The actual paramedics and technicians etc are complete legends who do a brilliant job and deserve all the plaudits we can give them, but their managers and the government who have failed them tie an arm behind their back before we even kick a ball. 

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The actual paramedics and technicians etc are complete legends who do a brilliant job and deserve all the plaudits we can give them, but their managers and the government who have failed them

Never a truer statement. They are incredible, yet deal with the abuse and assaults of the arseholes that think it’s their fault the ambulance took 5 hours to arrive.

My wife's a nurse and there just isn't enough staff, loads are off on maternity, sick or isolating, everyone's working extra but breaking point is near. Clinics are getting stopped apparently too redeploy the staff in wards.

Doesn't seem to be due to Brexit in my wife's ward but that might be more of an issue in the city hospitals.

My wife's a nurse and there just isn't enough staff, loads are off on maternity, sick or isolating, everyone's working extra but breaking point is near. Clinics are getting stopped apparently too redeploy the staff in wards.

Doesn't seem to be due to Brexit in my wife's ward but that might be more of an issue in the city hospitals.
Played golf with a guy last week whose wife is a staff nurse at Wishaw, they've lost 6 nurses who just couldn't handle it any more and left.

The logistics are also problematic too. The ICU can handle 4 Covid patients max, if they end up with 5 they have to move them into a general ward, which means emptying the rest of the beds in there.

So Boris will be announcing vaccine passports are in the bin on Tuesday it seems. Not really a huge surprise. People in England must be pissing themselves at the ongoing theatre nonsense that is still going on in Scotland. Folk I know who live in London say mask use is getting increasingly rare, the Perspex screens and social distancing stickers are gone or going, no farcical track and trace - and yet their cases per head of population are lower than Scotland.

What an embarrassing state our country is in.