Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The real reason is that the cheaper products work on smaller profit margins so any increase in base cost cannot be sunk by reducing profit.

That was her whole point, people who spend the most on staples get hit the hardest, the profit margin on avocados was already so high that the retailer/supplier can afford to take the hit.  

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That was her whole point, people who spend the most on staples get hit the hardest, the profit margin on avocados was already so high that the retailer/supplier can afford to take the hit.  

No it wasn’t.  The point being made in the thread was that the cost of living rise was deliberately being targeted at those who could least afford it.  You’ve spectacularly missed the point as usual.

Supermarkets, like all businesses, are pricing their products based on what’s best for their own bottom line.

Monroe was able to evidence the fact that a basic basket of staple goods had gone up massively in price (due to a combination of genuine price rises, shrinkflation and the removal of the cheapest brands such as Asda Smart Price in favour of more expensive, higher quality ranges)

Absolutely no one can deny that.

However, I don’t believe that the supermarket CEOs are deliberately colluding together to f**k over the poor because reasons. I just think those low level products are loss making hence they were kicked to the curb. 

Surely the supermarkets can only maintain cheap, loss making ranges as long as people are actually shelling out on yer avocados and the like? Everyone is getting battered just now. The insistence that folk who earn 40k a year are rich and can afford to pay more in taxes etc can only last so long before they themselves batten down the hatches and supermarkets lose the ability to flog more "luxury" items. I mean, the more money people have, the more they can pay, but at some point that will leave them with the same amount of disposable as everyone else ie f**k all. 

Basing this mostly on the Big-Bang esque expansion of Larbert in 4 and 5 bedroom Cala homes that cost the thick end of half a mill, but there must be a huge number of middle class wannabees in Scotland who are absolutely shiting themselves at the prospect of an interest rate rise. 

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

However, I don’t believe that the supermarket CEOs are deliberately colluding together to f**k over the poor because reasons. I just think those low level products are loss making hence they were kicked to the curb. 

Quite. It was a thing about who inflation hits first and by how much, not evil supermarket CEOs choosing who to target.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Surely the supermarkets can only maintain cheap, loss making ranges as long as people are actually shelling out on yer avocados and the like? Everyone is getting battered just now. The insistence that folk who earn 40k a year are rich and can afford to pay more in taxes etc can only last so long before they themselves batten down the hatches and supermarkets lose the ability to flog more "luxury" items. I mean, the more money people have, the more they can pay, but at some point that will leave them with the same amount of disposable as everyone else ie f**k all. 

Basing this mostly on the Big-Bang esque expansion of Larbert in 4 and 5 bedroom Cala homes that cost the thick end of half a mill, but there must be a huge number of middle class wannabees in Scotland who are absolutely shiting themselves at the prospect of an interest rate rise. 

14 years of artificially low interest rates means a lot of people will have no clue what a “normal” mortgage will cost.  The affordability rules for lending that were brought in a few years back to protect the consumer from the nasty banks will help no-one.

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

🤣🤣🤣

No matter how much you try to spin and deflect everyone can see right through you and how wrong you are.

Still unable to say where I was wrong, but managed to avoid the simping c**t phrase, so that's an improvement I suppose. Well done!

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

Still unable to say where I was wrong, and managed to avoid the simping c**t phrase, so that's an improvement I suppose. Well done!

You are wrong because you keep missing the point of what that thread was about, despite it being pointed out to you by multiple posters.

That doesn’t make you a simping c**t It does however make you a thick c**t.

Simping c**t is a phrase I’ve never used so you can add that to your fails tonight as well.

Just think, the Scottish Government actually had the autonomy to do this and be a leading light out of the pandemic darkness. No, they chose to be utter shitebags who aren't fit to run a parish council and gave in to fear and hysteria instead.

They will *never* deliver independence in their current carnation because they don't have the spine or the nous to make such bold, ambitious decisions.

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't want to come across as all billy big-baws, but I would actually say I've got miles more disposable income now than I did before the pandemic. I'm not chucking as much money at trains, spending the £30-40 a week on lunches, cakes and the rest that I would when I was in the office, and had about a year of no holidays, no days out for the football, much less time in pubs and restaurants and so on.

I'm well aware that not everyone is in the same position as me, but I'd guess that a non-negligible number of folk are.

22 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You are wrong because you keep missing the point of what that thread was about, despite it being pointed out to you by multiple posters.

That doesn’t make you a simping c**t It does however make you a thick c**t.

Simping c**t is a phrase I’ve never used so you can add that to your fails tonight as well.

The only times I've noticed you on P&B have been you calling me a c**t and/or simp, following some kind of bandwagon, and never with any kind of argument against what I said. So at least you're consistent.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The only times I've noticed you on P&B has been you calling me a c**t and/or simp, following some kind of bandwagon, and never with any kind of argument against what I said. So at least you're consistent.

You’re more entertaining than the Superbowl 😂😂🤣.

Still trying to spin as well and changed it from simping c**t.  Go find any post where I’ve used word simp before tonight then we’ll talk.

You’re having a bigger mare than normal tonight.

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't want to come across as all billy big-baws, but I would actually say I've got miles more disposable income now than I did before the pandemic. I'm not chucking as much money at trains, spending the £30-40 a week on lunches, cakes and the rest that I would when I was in the office, and had about a year of no holidays, no days out for the football, much less time in pubs and restaurants and so on.

I'm well aware that not everyone is in the same position as me, but I'd guess that a non-negligible number of folk are.

I would think, I haven't checked but going by gut feel here, that since my work hasnt changed in any way, im going to be a good bit worse off in the coming year, with council tax etc still to play its hand.........

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You’re more entertaining than the Superbowl 😂😂🤣.

Still trying to spin as well and changed it from simping c**t.  Go find any post where I’ve used word simp before tonight then we’ll talk.

You’re having a bigger mare than normal tonight.

I prefer c**t to simp tbh. :wub: Simp is just soohh American teenager in the basement.

50 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Just think, the Scottish Government actually had the autonomy to do this and be a leading light out of the pandemic darkness. No, they chose to be utter shitebags who aren't fit to run a parish council and gave in to fear and hysteria instead.

They will *never* deliver independence in their current carnation because they don't have the spine or the nous to make such bold, ambitious decisions.

Calm doon min. Scotland will never be independent because of some misguided rules. 🤷