Drag Queen Storytelling In Primary School

Blaze

Stuff like this is always much broader than the sensationalist part that gets headlines.
There's stuff we don't know that is relevant. For example, how are LGBT issues approached more broadly in the school? Is this just a drag queen being dropped into the classroom with no background, no set-up, no prep for the kids on what's going on, or was this a follow-up to some work on different lifestyles in society?
We know it was part of an LGBT History Month event, but we don't really know what that entailed.
That's a huge question here. If the kids have been doing work on different lifestyles then have a guest who represents one of those lifestyles doing something as everyday as reading them a story, then it may well be an excellent piece of educational planning and work that the kids will get a lot from.
If this is just a drag queen dropped in for the sake of it, then firstly it'll probably do little but make unprepared kids snigger and focus on the otherness of what they are seeing, but secondly they'll likely get little from it as they'll have no context to hang it on.
Like I said, we don't know what else this event included, but, as someone who has been involved in planning dozens of events for primary-aged kids, if I'd been involved in it, I'd probably have taken the route of focussing on the more prosaic side of the LGBT community to lessen the sense of weirdness around the topic. There are LGBT people in all parts of society who would make great role models for the kids. I'd be wary of presenting a drag queen as a representative of your everyday LGBT lifestyle to kids of that age.
Well intentioned, no doubt, but badly judged.
Genuinely no offence, but did you not think about using Google or trading some better news sites to see if there were answers to your questions? The school in question are famously pioneering on teaching equality stuff, the headteacher has made it party of the ethos of the school. It's incredibly unlikely this book-reading came out of nowhere, as you speculate.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, it just seems to me that your opinion goes a bit beyond general pondering and is making some assumptions about things that are reasonably straightforward to find out.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Genuinely no offence, but did you not think about using Google or trading some better news sites to see if there were answers to your questions? The school in question are famously pioneering on teaching equality stuff, the headteacher has made it party of the ethos of the school. It's incredibly unlikely this book-reading came out of nowhere, as you speculate.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, it just seems to me that your opinion goes a bit beyond general pondering and is making some assumptions about things that are reasonably straightforward to find out.

But incredibly unlikely doesn't equal impossible. As I said, we don't know. And we don't.

I've read a lot about this, but I haven't seen any of the body of work that led up to it. Maybe you can point me in the direction of the learning plan that this was part of?

I think it would have answered a lot of questions if the school had just cleared that up. I haven't seen them do that anywhere.

Edited by JTS98

What a backward country Scotland is, who cares about sexuality of this person  or what clothes they put on after they shower.  The story should be focusing on, was this performer suitable for children. Sure, they don't do their normal act in the classroom, however, these children will look them up on the computer/phone when they get home and find unacceptable material for a child.

Would they book Roy "Chubby" Brown?  Who probably would be great with the kids, but still, you're not going to book him.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

But incredibly unlikely doesn't equal impossible. As I said, we don't know. And we don't.

I've read a lot about this, but I haven't seen any of the body of work that led up to it. Maybe you can point me in the direction of the learning plan that this was part of?

I think it would have answered a lot of questions if the school had just cleared that up. I haven't seen them do that anywhere.

I think the lack of planning has been a large part of the issue, along with not gaining parental consent and as I previously stated the drag artist then using a photo taken by the school on his public  Instagram. 

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I doubt many of the folk upset at a drag artist coming in for storytime and posting a pic on social media would be upset if Frankie Boyle came in for storytime at a school and posted a pic on their social media. 

Trying to pretend it's about adult content or privacy.

As a parent I wouldn't want an adult comedian in reading to my kids. As a teacher I don't know  how much the school ethos impacts on the syllabus so not easy to comment.

People are talking about lack of planning but the truth is that the media attention has been considered. Pioneering is one word and attention seeking is another. 

Edited by jimbaxters

29 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I doubt many of the folk upset at a drag artist coming in for storytime and posting a pic on social media would be upset if Frankie Boyle came in for storytime at a school and posted a pic on their social media. 

Yeah but your children didn't go to the school x years ago so you can't have an opinion

25 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think there is quite a big difference in the type of imagery Frankie Boyle postes v the content this flowjob person is posting

Just like there is a vast, vast difference betreen drag, which is overtly sexual v someone dressing up as a woman for panto etc

32 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

They should have got a football player in*. They are all squeaky clean, wholesome, paragons of virtue.

*Not Darren Mackie, obviously.

33 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

As a parent I wouldn't want an adult comedian in reading to my kids. As a teacher I don't know the how much the school ethos impacts on the syllabus.

People are talking about lack of planning but the truth is that the media attention has been considered. Pioneering is one word and attention seeking is another. 

Pioneering she is not.

56 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I think there is quite a big difference in the type of imagery Frankie Boyle postes v the content this flowjob person is posting

Just like there is a vast, vast difference betreen drag, which is overtly sexual v someone dressing up as a woman for panto etc

Sorry did they ask kids to give them a like and follow and retweet? Isn't any adult content on their twitter marked as such? Who is directing children to this offending twitter page? Can you point to which content on their instagram is beyond the pale?

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix