Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

17 hours ago, Shotts56 said:

Guilty as charged.  Would obviously much rather be at the game, but if I can't go, then watching my team on a stream is still much preferable to some insufferable English Championship game on Sky.

Agree with this. Would much rather have been at the matches last season but watching the Rovers on the streams last year kept me going. Beating Hearts at Tynecastle, beating Dundee, humbling the Pars. Obviously would have been much better in person, but still all hugely enjoyable remotely.

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Raith and Ayr (trying to find a new gaffer) will have wanted a break I reckon. 

QoTS are NAP to have voted against. 

I think we will have, and given that the team has found a little bit of form I can absolutely understand why. That, along with our next 2 games being away from home, make it pretty understandable from a self interest point of view. 

I’d still have preferred a break, as I was looking forward to heading to the Raith game, but I get why there isn’t one. 

2 hours ago, true_rover said:

Unless they were burned from last year's "short" break?

From a football perspective that break rescued us, we had no fit strikers at the start of January and were wildly out of form and getting the players in we did during the break changed the season. 

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not remotely straightforward though, as well you know. Playoffs can only follow a season in the Scottish format where they include a team from the division above, if the two league finish at the same time (or within a week or so of it). As we saw last season when the bottom two divisions wanted to extend their season, the Championship clubs told them to go raffle themselves in terms of the 9th place team having to wait for a playoff to take place.

The lower leagues would effectively have to come to a joint decision to extend the season or not. If they do so on a division by division basis then playoffs won't happen. And the Championship cannot have a promotion playoff spot to the Premiership following an extended season if the Premiership does not extend also. Which it can't to meet UEFA deadlines (or because they have no incentive to do so, matters not what reason, fact is they won't) and therefore the Championship clubs won't vote for it either.

A huge amount of waffle only to concede that the only issue that would prevent promotion playoffs from taking place is in fact the ridiculously narrow self-interest of Scottish football clubs. 

Thanks for playing anyway. 

As for the vote, it would not surprise me in the slightest if the glorified bowling club committee of lawyers and accountants pretending at being Morton's custodians voted for this utter pish. Despite being a 'community-owned club', GMFC has not disclosed to its real owners which way it voted while announcing the arrangements for Boxing Day's home match. 

Plenty of mealy-mouthed platitudes about 'football being nothing without the fans' though, while acquiescing in shutting out season ticket holders and - even worse - punting the unlucky few into the main stand at the behest of the world's shittest dentist.

Edited by vikingTON

All this chaos over a variant which the scientists are now saying there is no evidence to suggest it is worse than the last one. 

Something the South African doctor who identified the variant said from the start and which all our scientists and media continued to ignore . 

The UK at its brilliant best. 

39 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

So according to released club statements, Accies, Dunfermline & Killie appear to have voted for a 3 week break, will the 4th club let themselves be known?

Did SD not say somewhere that we can safely assume Queens will have voted for "a pause"?

34 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Yeah I agree. A tough call both ways. Premier League was a no brainer as they have just moved a break but with the Championship it's more complicated. If they extend the restrictions we will be back to the start again

They won't or shouldn't extend any restrictions now after the updated reports coming in to government . 

I just hope the government takes heed this time . 

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

So according to released club statements, Accies, Dunfermline & Killie appear to have voted for a 3 week break, will the 4th club let themselves be known?

Where have Hamilton said this? I've just read their website and don't see anything in the statement there about the way they voted.

Where have Hamilton said this? I've just read their website and don't see anything in the statement there about the way they voted.
Unless it was someone from the club on the radio then yup I don't see anything from Accies about this at all.

26 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

They won't or shouldn't extend any restrictions now after the updated reports coming in to government . 

I just hope the government takes heed this time . 

That isn’t the only factor. Obviously the news that the new variant is generally milder is good, but the increased transmissibility may mean that numbers of seriously ill patients would still be higher.

I don’t actually know, obviously, because I’m just some guy not a scientist or whatever, and I’m annoyed at the seemingly arbitrary nature of these restrictions, but i don’t think it’s as straightforward as you do. 

17 minutes ago, cdhafc1874 said:
20 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Unless it was someone from the club on the radio then yup I don't see anything from Accies about this at all.

Pretty sure it wasn't. I think he's just misread the statement.

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That isn’t the only factor. Obviously the news that the new variant is generally milder is good, but the increased transmissibility may mean that numbers of seriously ill patients would still be higher.

I don’t actually know, obviously, because I’m just some guy not a scientist or whatever, and I’m annoyed at the seemingly arbitrary nature of these restrictions, but i don’t think it’s as straightforward as you do. 

Fair play . All about opinions of course. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did SD not say somewhere that we can safely assume Queens will have voted for "a pause"?

I can see why Queens would want a pause - a few injuries/players just back in training, wanting to make some signings in January and missing out on a decent number of away fans for the Killie game.
Against that, I’m not sure when/if Cameron is going back to Killie, so they maybe want him for a couple more games. And, if they thought they would get more compensation from the SG from playing on, that might trump everything else.