Lockdown Achievements

23 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

It certainly can't be a bad thing, as a nice extra if you list your home.

Same here, garden wise, it can get a bit hot though if/when we get really decent warm weather.

I like the sun content just now, anything over 20° and I'm toiling on the patio

Yeah I get it on the back right corner of my garden at half 8 just now then it gets on my patio about 1 o clock and stays right on it until the back of 4 then it briefly disappears behind the apex of my neighbours house for a bit but it comes right back on my patio at the back of 5 again for a good few hours. When summer kicks in I don’t think I’ll lose the sun on my patio as the sun will be a bit higher. I wouldn’t have bought the house if it was north facing garden, makes all the difference.

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah I get it on the back right corner of my garden at half 8 just now then it gets on my patio about 1 o clock and stays right on it until the back of 4 then it briefly disappears behind the apex of my neighbours house for a bit but it comes right back on my patio at the back of 5 again for a good few hours. When summer kicks in I don’t think I’ll lose the sun on my patio as the sun will be a bit higher. I wouldn’t have bought the house if it was north facing garden, makes all the difference.

The sun is at its strongest this time of year, but aye you'll get plenty as it gets higher & the days get longer.

Enjoy 🍷

Got a Western facing garden, sunny for most of the afternoon, does me. Got a canopy for the occasional day when the direct sun is a bit much that I can move with a remote if I can be bothered, otherwise I have a hat.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I have been enjoying a lot of time in my south facing garden of late, and when ever I have been out for my walks I have seen so many gardens that face the opposite way and from what I can tell they get little to no sunshine on their back gardens. Would anyone chose to have a north facing garden because they enjoy being in the shade during a Scottish summer? Do a good number of people not care about whether they get sunshine on their garden? Does a south facing garden add money to your property?

I downloaded a compass app onto my phone specifically for going house hunting a few years ago. Our garden faces south west and is sunny throughout a summer afternoon.

I don't think enough people care enough to make it a significant influence on price. That's based on never seeing it in an estate agent description and never noticing it mentioned on the house programmes the wife watches. 

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I downloaded a compass app onto my phone specifically for going house hunting a few years ago. Our garden faces south west and is sunny throughout a summer afternoon.

I don't think enough people care enough to make it a significant influence on price. That's based on never seeing it in an estate agent description and never noticing it mentioned on the house programmes the wife watches. 

Yeah I just got my compas out there and we are south west to be precise, the sun is in my face right now but will be behind a fence in a few minutes. The best time for it to be on my garden would be 5-6 pm when I get in from work so can have a bbq and beer. 

Its funny how you say not enough people care about it as I can’t imagine anyone not wanting the sun on their garden in Scotland.  I bet loads of people concern themselves with things like nearby schools and transport links so they just don’t ask and are left hugely disappointed when the good weather kicks in and they can’t enjoy it in their back yard, then keep quiet when it comes to selling up. 

My garden here is north facing. Doesn’t bother me. Kids swing set in one bit grass and trampoline will on on other. 

In the flat we rented before we had south garden which got the sun from 11 until sundown. Was great of getting washing dried! Was nice sit out with the neighbours but do like having own garden here.

Strumming or finger picking? 
What are you playing anyway? You inspired me last night and I started learning Nirvana's About a Girl. I'm shite at barre chords but Kurt used some very simple ones even a sausage-fingered gimp like me can manage them. 

I was never much for showing off and playing lead so mostly strumming.
A lot of what I used to play was blues, R&B (old school like Otis, Sam &Dave etc) and some rock so been revisited that.
Also raised the action on my old electric (bought 2nd hand in ‘82 so no idea how old it is now) and been reteaching myself slide.

20 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Rubbed down and painted steps. For some reason last tenants painted them, pain in the arse need painted every year then flake off.

Can you not just sand them down then use seal it before staining? 

Hmmm. Burn the house down, start again. 
You'll get a new cooker out of it too, [mention=59448]D.A.F.C[/mention] . 
Two birds with one stone, result!

How does the seal stuff work? They're stone steps and the paint flakes off after the winter. One thing I've learned about painting is, dont paint decking or stone work unless you need to.

I building a shelf for my kitchen out of old wood that’s been sat in the shed for about 20 year judging by how much I’m having to sand it to get it coming up clean.

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

How does the seal stuff work? 

It won't on stone! :lol:

Can you not srip the paint off the steps and leave at that or do they look horrible due to past abuse? 

(I must admit I'm against painted stone steps at doorways)