League Reconstruction 20/21 season

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I wonder if the administration points deduction rules will be relaxed around this. Or, if they do that, will every club just dive into administration?

Or... Will so many clubs go into admin and take the deduction that everyone's basically starting on the same points anyway?

Even with the prize money, a lot of clubs are going to be in a perilous state here.

Hearts to be demoted, activate relegation release clauses on all playing staff and coast along on supporters direct debits while Scottish football's provincial clubs squeak out of existence one after another. Turns out the auld bag was a genius all along...

annb

Those 2nd place finishes behind Celtic in a 2 team reconstructed league.

jjay 

46 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I wonder if the administration points deduction rules will be relaxed around this. Or, if they do that, will every club just dive into administration?

Or... Will so many clubs go into admin and take the deduction that everyone's basically starting on the same points anyway?

Even with the prize money, a lot of clubs are going to be in a perilous state here.

21 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I would hope not. If rules were relaxed I could see many using it as opportunity to wipe out debts that they shouldn’t have racked up and will use the corona virus as an excuse to pay it off for a relative pittance.
 Would only encourage clubs to do so and wouldn't be a good look for the Scottish game.

Administration isn't just some easy process where clubs can get rid of their debts.

Many clubs wouldn't come out of administration if they went in to it. They'd die.

49 minutes ago, virginton said:

IIRC (from news articles not personal experience obviously) they stopped researching a SARS vaccine soon after its much smaller epidemic came to an end as there was no commercial viability in the project, which is hardly going to be the case with this one right now.

The overall point however should stand that no sane society should be waiting around indefinitely on a vaccine before resuming normal life and any public health official or politician who thinks so would likely face significant social disobedience and disorder.

The original SARS to all intents died out. It was pointed out by a professor in an interview the other night.  Also, SARS was based in Asia and never really spread from there.

It would be Interesting to see how we would treat the economy and lock downs if somerhing like MERS kicked off. The death rate is 35% of known cases and it is still around. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes, SPL2. It was a terrible, dreadful idea that luckily went nowhere.

It was first talked about circa 2006 I think:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/5369244.stm 

There was chat off and on a few years after:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/feb/27/ewan-murray-spl2-scottish-football-league

Then there was a lot of chat about it when Rangers died as they tried to get it going with Sevco being parachuted directly in to it. This article has some pretty offensive and sickening views:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/jul/13/rangers-scottish-third-division

There's been no need to produce a vaccine for any coronavirus before COVID-19. Plus it would be a costly waste of time, which is why no one has done it.

They are producing a vaccine for this one though, because there is a need to do so. And they will produce one.

I wouldn't be so confident. Some of the best brains on the planet (and $squillions of investment) have been trying to produce a vaccine for HIV for almost 40 years, without success.

1 minute ago, Stag Nation said:

I wouldn't be so confident. Some of the best brains on the planet (and $squillions of investment) have been trying to produce a vaccine for HIV for almost 40 years, without success.

HIV and COVID-19 are totally different things.

What a ludicrous argument. Vaccines are produced regularly, yet because there isn't one for a very complicated virus we shouldn't be confident of one being produced for COVID-19? Mental logic, absolutely mental. By that logic we shouldn't expect a vaccine for anything ever again.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

HIV and COVID-19 are totally different things.

What a ludicrous argument.

What has been developed is a range of drugs that have contained HIV and some evidence that certain treatments might switch it off (getting out of my depth here on medical virology science!)

1 minute ago, Stag Nation said:

Sorry, I hadn't realised you were a virologist.

Can you explain the difference?

Not in depth, no, because I'm not a virologist.

You however seem to be, so perhaps you can explain this?

3 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

What has been developed is a range of drugs that have contained HIV and some evidence that certain treatments might switch it off (getting out of my depth here on medical virology science!)

Aye, we’re at a point where HIV is pretty much of no concern to those with access to modern medicine.  When we have drugs you can take that will give you a normal life expectancy and others that means you can’t spread it I’m not sure a vaccine seems that urgent. 

Vaccine seems abit more likely here, but I think it’s odd that a good treatment  program seems to be largely ignored as a route out of this.

Scientists say a vaccine will be available within a year, perhaps a bit longer.

But they are confident it will happen. There's also a hugely concerted effort between various countries on this.

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Aye, we’re at a point where HIV is pretty much of no concern to those with access to modern medicine.  When we have drugs you can take that will give you a normal life expectancy and others that means you can’t spread it I’m not sure a vaccine seems that urgent. 

Vaccine seems abit more likely here, but I think it’s odd that a good treatment  program seems to be largely ignored as a route out of this.

I think one of the major issues with C19 is that it becomes a very serious pneumonic condition that rapidly infests the lungs. In extreme cases (resulting in death as the end point) I dont think we have a range of drugs that can counter it. 

1 minute ago, rainbowrising said:

I think one of the major issues with C19 is that it becomes a very serious pneumonic condition that rapidly infests the lungs. In extreme cases (resulting in death as the end point) I dont think we have a range of drugs that can counter it. 

Of course we don’t, currently.   

Livi getting in on the statement action with their own reconstruction proposal.

https://livingstonfc.co.uk/league-reconstruction-statement/

I reckon this will be what is put forward eventually (or pretty close to it) and I’d be happy enough with that. 16 team league would be my ideal scenario but it’s got no chance. 

Edited by Zing.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

IIRC (from news articles not personal experience obviously) they stopped researching a SARS vaccine soon after its much smaller epidemic came to an end as there was no commercial viability in the project, which is hardly going to be the case with this one right now.

I clearly hope you are correct, but this class of viruses just don't act like any other we have encountered before (and created vaccines against).

Edited by Ian38018