League Reconstruction 20/21 season

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I think what we can gather from this is:

All fans of the Premiership clubs want it to stay as it is so they don't get less money.

All fans of clubs in the play off spots in the Championship, League One and League Two want reconstruction, so their club gets promoted.

Gotcha.

For what it's worth, I don't think league construction will happen.  And clubs like The Caley and Dundee can write off winning the league with Hearts down there next year,  as they are undoubtedly going to be relegated very soon.

Not necessarily.

Some of us are happy for some from of reconstruction if it's a benefit of the greater good of football in the country, but, for me personally, not:

1) On a temporary basis to suit one club

2) Tacked retroactively onto a season. It should be put out there as a prize for teams to aim for next season.

If reconstruction is to happen, the relegation and promotion of top and bottom should certainly go ahead and next season should start with 12 teams in the premiership with the understanding that the top 3 in Championship will go up and bottom of premiership will go down. Therefore the start of 21/22 season will be a 14 team league.

and saw city clubs like Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Dundee relegated a few  times which probably wouldn't have happened in the old 18 (certainly not as often)
It's a bizarre post

Why do you say this as if it’s a good thing? As hilarious as it was when these clubs went down during my time of watching Scottish football, I wouldn’t have said it’s a good thing for the league to have the countries biggest clubs being relegated. Nor can this be claimed as some sort of success of the 12 team league. If anything it’s a sorry reflection of how weak our biggest clubs are compared to the OF. In an ideal world, the clubs you’ve listed there should be regularly competing at the top end of the league and actually providing some sort of challenge to Rangers and Celtic.

Also, I wouldn’t say the 12 team league “hasn’t worked” but I would say that it’s had it’s day and the majority of fans literally crave more.

The idea that people aren't already meeting in groups for parties and the like, displays an astounding naivety by the Scottish government.

Behind closed doors fitba on the TV isn't going to see tens of thousands of folks gathering outside grounds, listening to their trannies or watching games on their phones - if it does, then all those Plod that normally show up at games can usher them the f**k away.

Fitba may not matter in the great scheme of things but to large amounts of people it matters a lot, it makes a failry tedious existence a little more bearable and if we have to watch it TV and pay the privelege in the short term, that would be better than nothing...just

9 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

The idea that people aren't already meeting in groups for parties and the like, displays an astounding naivety by the Scottish government.

I'd be surprised that isn't a very tiny minority of people. From what I've seen around my area there seems to be a level of slight bending of the rules in regard to leaving your house but not house parties.

I think should start summer football for next season along with all European leagues with season starting February or March. Thus giving us until end of November/December to finish this season and releive the pressure to finish the season early. 

Also gets rid of the winter breaks and freezing cold nights. Instead warm nights boosting crowds. 

On years with world cups and euros, start the season a little early and finish a little later, giving 5 or 6 weeks in the middle of the season for these competitions. 

57 minutes ago, ropy said:

I have said before, the split works because it creates a short sharp 5 game play off.  So my preference is to keep 12 in the top league.  If we move to 14 then the split doesn’t work for me, it would have to be play each other three times, don’t fancy that.

16, where we play twice then have a seven game play off post-split may be acceptable as a compromise, but keep it the same and we will see Hearts in a year or so.

Split works better with 14, for the top 6 anyway. Split after 2 rounds means even h&a fixtures. 

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

Why do you say this as if it’s a good thing? As hilarious as it was when these clubs went down during my time of watching Scottish football, I wouldn’t have said it’s a good thing for the league to have the countries biggest clubs being relegated. Nor can this be claimed as some sort of success of the 12 team league. If anything it’s a sorry reflection of how weak our biggest clubs are compared to the OF. In an ideal world, the clubs you’ve listed there should be regularly competing at the top end of the league and actually providing some sort of challenge to Rangers and Celtic.

Also, I wouldn’t say the 12 team league “hasn’t worked” but I would say that it’s had it’s day and the majority of fans literally crave more.

It's drama. One of the purposes of sport. Seeing Hearts or Hibs or Dundee or Aberdeen coasting along in 12th is not drama.

The 3 second tier clubs (or anyone else) are almost incapable of putting a challenge over a 9 month 30-odd game slog because they cannot afford to have the depth of quality required to do so unless both OF clubs appont shite like Ronny Deila and the chances of that are remote.

They should be up the top end of the league, right enough, those 5 should really fill spaces 3 through 7 every year. Happily, real life sticks a finger up to "should".

You've spoken to 'the majority' of fans, have you? Or are you basing your opinion on the 5,000 or so who regularly vote out of the 250,000 who routinely go to games on a Saturday? When fans start staying away again, as they did in the 60s & 70s then I'll agree 12-10-10-10 is failing.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'd be surprised that isn't a very tiny minority of people. From what I've seen around my area there seems to be a level of slight bending of the rules in regard to leaving your house but not house parties.

Football fans who attend games are a tiny minority though, maybe 5% of the population. The numbers that would turn up to stand in groups would be a small percent of that percentage, no?

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Split works better with 14, for the top 6 anyway. Split after 2 rounds means even h&a fixtures. 

But that is us getting into creating two new leagues territory rather than a play off for the final places.  If we accept that the folk will look for all sorts of colourful concatenations of teams for the second league stage, keep it simple.

12 minutes ago, Gwood98 said:

I think should start summer football for next season along with all European leagues with season starting February or March. Thus giving us until end of November/December to finish this season and releive the pressure to finish the season early.

What are the bottom three tiers of the SPFL supposed to do until March 2021 and who is giving them the money to stay in business until that point?

3 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Football fans who attend games are a tiny minority though, maybe 5% of the population. The numbers that would turn up to stand in groups would be a small percent of that percentage, no?

I mean you're right, I was more meaning across the country the out and out flouting of the rules doesn't see to be happening. Thankfully no Trump-esque loons to deal with though.

That's not to say I haven't no met a few conspiracy theorists online though. Many of them, ironically, wearing masks while pointing out it's all a massive con job so the government can control us.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

What are the bottom three tiers of the SPFL supposed to do until March 2021 and who is giving them the money to stay in business until that point?

Thats my whole point, I think they shouldn't have finished the season early, should've tried to play the games and by introducing summer football this may have been a possibility. So teams like Partick Thistle aren't unfairly relegated. 

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I mean you're right, I was more meaning across the country the out and out flouting of the rules doesn't see to be happening. Thankfully no Trump-esque loons to deal with though.

That's not to say I haven't no met a few conspiracy theorists online though. Many of them, ironically, wearing masks while pointing out it's all a massive con job so the government can control us.

Ahh sorry, misunderstood.

I think we all know whose fans might turn up in large numbers against government ("they're no mah government") advice. It's a blessing that AR15s are not available in this country...

There's a G5 tower going up not far from me and I expect to see a few out and about with silver foil headgear when they go for their daily run.

1 minute ago, Gwood98 said:

Thats my whole point, I think they shouldn't have finished the season early, should've tried to play the games and by introducing summer football this may have been a possibility. So teams like Partick Thistle aren't unfairly relegated. 

I think your avatar goes against your sentiment.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Not necessarily.

Some of us are happy for some from of reconstruction if it's a benefit of the greater good of football in the country, but, for me personally, not:

1) On a temporary basis to suit one club

2) Tacked retroactively onto a season. It should be put out there as a prize for teams to aim for next season.

If reconstruction is to happen, the relegation and promotion of top and bottom should certainly go ahead and next season should start with 12 teams in the premiership with the understanding that the top 3 in Championship will go up and bottom of premiership will go down. Therefore the start of 21/22 season will be a 14 team league.

This.

100%.

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

What would temporary mean, 5 years would give any new set up a good run, stick in a review at that point.  Or does temporary mean until Hearts get a good team on the pitch?

😄 until they get rid of that squad,  so maybe 3 years

8 minutes ago, ropy said:

What would temporary mean, 5 years would give any new set up a good run, stick in a review at that point.  Or does temporary mean until Hearts get a good team on the pitch?

The problem with set time limits is that it doesn't work, as set terms for the parliament shows.

I think Budge would happily accept a one year reconstruction because it retains her legacy and she can hand over the reigns to someone else and not care.