Masks  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At work i don't. Very few people who come shopping wear them. Many who do wear them, they don't fit. When they ask a question they pull it down and put it over their chin. We can as staff wear them if we want to, however they are shit and do not fit.
I wont be wearing one, but please keep the 2m distance.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/america-asia-face-mask-coronavirus/609283/

I wear a mask when i'm heading into the village centre.  Not everyone does but most do about 98% now.

This is about everyone doing it for the better of everyone, not just you.  Very much a western outlook that this is about you and not the people you work and live with.

If I have to wear a big cock and ball over my head to help people stay alive, so be it.

If coming very soon to your country, be prepared....

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You tell me. Why would you refuse to wear a face mask if it's not about looking a dick?

So it's started off as vanity then principle and has now it's looking a dick? 

In what way does not wearing a mask make you look a dick, out of interest? 

Do you have one on you now? 

1 minute ago, Dele said:

So it's started off as vanity then principle and has now it's looking a dick? 

In what way does not wearing a mask make you look a dick, out of interest? 

Do you have one on you now? 

I'm just curious why you would refuse to wear one. You said it wasn't about vanity which rules out being worried about looking a dick. So I assume there must be some kind of principle involved.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm just curious why you would refuse to wear one. You said it wasn't about vanity which rules out being worried about looking a dick. So I assume there must be some kind of principle involved.

I never refused to wear one. I said I wouldn't be wearing one and if it become compulsory and I would then remove myself from the places of which it was. 

It seems strange the amount of people kicking up a fuss here, tbh. Especially the one boy posting pictures that have been taken from Doom on the PC by the looks of it. 

Masks are, if I have it correct, currently a choice. Shops and businesses mandating them are posing a greater danger than someone currently observing all lockdown conditions with no masks IMO.

Mandating them will serve to drag people back to work and businesses will open under the guise of masks offering protection in contradiction with actual science.

They will result in lesser social distancing discipline.

They will result in folk being arseholes.

Right now there is absolutely zero reason to have a go at someone for saying g they dont want to wear a mask and doing so is pure herd mentality.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Masks are, if I have it correct, currently a choice. Shops and businesses mandating them are posing a greater danger than someone currently observing all lockdown conditions with no masks IMO.

Mandating them will serve to drag people back to work and businesses will open under the guise of masks offering protection in contradiction with actual science.

Right now there is absolutely zero reason to have a go at someone for saying g they dont want to wear a mask and doing so is pure herd mentality.

Isn't that what Dominic Cummings wants us to build up?

I agree with the sentiment that if this becomes compulsory, there's going to have to be a reputable and consistent supply of them from somewhere. f**k buying a box of something from amazon that turns out to be useless.

Ed - also, in my experience of shops over the past few weeks, the people with masks and blue latex gloves are the absolute weapons who scold people for looking at them never mind being too close. 

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

So I assume there must be some kind of principle involved.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's because it's not mandated. An individual choice.  Pretty simple. Sure, there are pros and cons, arguments for and against but ultimately, it's deemed the 2m rule is enough at the moment. 

In other news, the RAF have decided (a couple of weeks back) that I can work in close proximity (<2m) with another person, neither of us wearing any ppe for a maximum of 14 minutes a day. Now that decision will have been made under advice of people who know what they're talking about. Probably. It's a command directive, not our local management.

As it is, it's not something we're practicing as there's not many 2 man tasks that take under 14 minutes anyway and we've plenty ppe available if needed. 

On Monday it's going to become compulsory here on public transport. They are going to start selling masks from vending machines in train stations. However if I enter said train station without wearing one, I risk a €250 fine. Still I am going to buy one because hopefully that will mean that the lockdown will be over quicker.

I don't see anything wrong with a shop introducing a mask rule to help protect their staff from infection, especially if they supply them at the door, like they currently do with hand sanitiser. And I don't understand why anyone would boycott the shop because of it. 

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't agree with this post.  The science says that it's likely that masks offer some protection.  I posted earlier in the Covid thread that when it comes to something like this then you have to balance several considerations.  It would take months or even years to run properly conclusive trials on the effectiveness of masks at preventing Covid infection but the evidence we have now shows that it probably does have some form of benefit.  More importantly, the potential downsides are low - the worst case, really, is that it doesn't give you any additional protectrion but if you are only leaving the house for esential goods then you'd be leaving the house anyway so the overall affect is zero rather than making you more at risk.  So wearing them has no harms and probably offers some benefits.

Regarding your point about lesser social distancing discipline there is actually ample scientific data about this field as it's something that has been discussed for decades - the effect of increasing safety on people's behaviour.  Back when seatbelts were made compulsory one of the arguments made against it was that drivers would pay less attention to driving carefully if they felt safer, some people make the same arguments today about bike helmets etc.  The evidence shows that when additional safety measures are applied people do NOT become less safety concious.  If you think that people are already following social distancing then they'll continue to follow it while wearing masks.  If they aren't then they won't follow it wearing masks or not.   

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don't agree with this post.  The science says that it's likely that masks offer some protection.  I posted earlier in the Covid thread that when it comes to something like this then you have to balance several considerations.  It would take months or even years to run properly conclusive trials on the effectiveness of masks at preventing Covid infection but the evidence we have now shows that it probably does have some form of benefit.  More importantly, the potential downsides are low - the worst case, really, is that it doesn't give you any additional protectrion but if you are only leaving the house for esential goods then you'd be leaving the house anyway so the overall affect is zero rather than making you more at risk.  So wearing them has no harms and probably offers some benefits.

Regarding your point about lesser social distancing discipline there is actually ample scientific data about this field as it's something that has been discussed for decades - the effect of increasing safety on people's behaviour.  Back when seatbelts were made compulsory one of the arguments made against it was that drivers would pay less attention to driving carefully if they felt safer, some people make the same arguments today about bike helmets etc.  The evidence shows that when additional safety measures are applied people do NOT become less safety concious.  If you think that people are already following social distancing then they'll continue to follow it while wearing masks.  If they aren't then they won't follow it wearing masks or not.   

Yip.  Responsible people will continue to be responsible, irresponsible people will continue to be irresponsible.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Yip.  Responsible people will continue to be responsible, irresponsible people will continue to be irresponsible.

Whilst I obviously agree with theses sentiments, it has to be said that masks offer little in the way of protection to the wearer. They offer far more in terms of preventing the spread of the virus FROM the wearer.

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I feel like an arse walking about with a mask and gloves but it's once a week if that and crucially I acknowledge to myself that it doesn't matter if people I don't know or care about think I look daft.

I suspect there's an age thing to this.

Same here. Better safe than sorry in my mind.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

I feel like an arse walking about with a mask and gloves but it's once a week if that and crucially I acknowledge to myself that it doesn't matter if people I don't know or care about think I look daft.

I suspect there's an age thing to this.

I did feel like an arse wearing my mask but when I had my scarf round my face I felt cool, like I was there to rob the place rather than buy some courgettes.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I was speaking to a police officer a few weeks back and they said that basically all the people they've arrested during teh lockdown were the 'usual suspects', who they arrest a lot of weekends anyway for drunken disorder or drug possession or other crimes.  There is a section of the population who just don't obey the law, whether it's wearing masks or not shitting in the street. 

I've been reading some stuff about the maths of masks, it's interesting to me.  Someone can explain how if wearing a mask reduces your risk of infection by 2 or 3% then multiplied over the population (if mask wearing is mandatory or voluntarily widespread) that has a huge effect.