Growing A Beard

37 years old and for my entire adult life I’ve kept my hair tidy and been clean shaven. Of course with all barber shops being closed and not wanting to take a pair of clippers to myself, my hair is starting to look like a bit of a mess. So I had an idea to go the whole hog and stop shaving too, to hopefully take the focus off the mess on top.

How do guys with beards do it? I’m only 11 days in and it feels like every ten minutes I want to reach for my razor and put an end to this itchy nightmare. Will it eventually stop?!

4 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

37 years old and for my entire adult life I’ve kept my hair tidy and been clean shaven. Of course with all barber shops being closed and not wanting to take a pair of clippers to myself, my hair is starting to look like a bit of a mess. So I had an idea to go the whole hog and stop shaving too, to hopefully take the focus off the mess on top.

How do guys with beards do it? I’m only 11 days in and it feels like every ten minutes I want to reach for my razor and put an end to this itchy nightmare. Will it eventually stop?!

The worst part of growing a beard is getting over the hill that you mention.

I was you about 4 years ago and it is tough. Luckily for me my job and social activities don't require me to not look homeless so growing it just meant not shaving.

The 1sg time you go to a barber and ask them to run a gauge through it and tidy it up is a great moment even though it doubles the usual cost of your haircut.

I can't say how long it will be before you are at that stage as everyone is different with growth of the chin fuzz.

Yes, get bye the itchy stage and youre fine.

Just depends how well your facial hair grows after words. I’ve not shaved the full time we’ve been locked down sadly mines grows out rather than down so very terroristy. I also have a bald patch under my chin and no growth at all in the goatee bits under my bottom lip just the soul patch bit growing. Any tips appreciated. (Although it will most likely be getting took off when I need to go back to work)

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I also have a bald patch under my chin 

I have this patch just left of beneath my chin that doesn't grow hair.

You can't see it when my beard is all trampy and homeless like but when I get it trimmed it's pretty evident.

2 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Get a good quality beard shampoo. Never use the stuff you use on your head on your beard. The hair strands are completely different. Invest in a good beard moisturizer and oil. When washing your beard, use a beard comb to shape your beard as you like it. Dab it dry, but not bone dry and apply the beard oil to help it hold it's shape. The moisturizer should help with the itching, which tends to go away after a month or so anyway.

When this thing started I stopped shaving and now at the age of 65 I have a beard for the first time in my life.  If it’s any consolation to the OP I think you will get used to it the longer you keep it.

I was not going to shave until lockdown ended but intend to get rid of it early next week as it’s not for me.

Unlike @MONKMAN I will not assume to determine the sexual proclivities of beard wearers; I am not a judgemental person.

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Should have stopped itching long ago (and the beard...).

I currently look like a mountain man, will have to make some attempt to tidy it up, but I won't be shaving it off, I've had a beard most of my adult life since leaving school.

My lockdown beard is pretty long but it's going to need the attention of a qualified barber soon just to keep it tidy. Bit scared to hack into it myself tbh as il just f**k it up. Going to need a haircut soon too which will have just be a gauge over it, accelerating my desired Helsinki look.

5 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Get a good quality beard shampoo. Never use the stuff you use on your head on your beard. The hair strands are completely different. Invest in a good beard moisturizer and oil. When washing your beard, use a beard comb to shape your beard as you like it. Dab it dry, but not bone dry and apply the beard oil to help it hold it's shape. The moisturizer should help with the itching, which tends to go away after a month or so anyway.

I'd rather shave.

2 hours ago, Raidernation said:

After 55 years I finally gave in (didn’t shave when I did my 28 days rehab and just tidied it up afterwards) this is what I have

image-2020-05-15-23:23:11-760.jpg

Is that tidy?

8 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I also have a bald patch under my chin and no growth at all in the goatee bits under my bottom lip just the soul patch bit growing. 

Oddly enough I am exactly the same. 

Not shaved since lockdown, getting very thick now. Have found that beard oil certainly helps controlling it a bit.

8 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Yes, get bye the itchy stage and youre fine.

Just depends how well your facial hair grows after words. I’ve not shaved the full time we’ve been locked down sadly mines grows out rather than down so very terroristy. I also have a bald patch under my chin and no growth at all in the goatee bits under my bottom lip just the soul patch bit growing. Any tips appreciated. (Although it will most likely be getting took off when I need to go back to work)

I know some folk talk to their plants, but talking to your beard is a new one for me...