Growing A Beard

29 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Generally guys that hate beards know they cant grow a decent one and often cry themselves to sleep at night they  since cant conquer one of mans most basic tasks in life.

Not sure that growing a beard is a ‘task’, not even a basic one.  I simply assume some folk are more hirsute than others.

One thing that is certainly an acquired skill is grooming said beard.  I have trimmed mine once and the result was less than impressive.  Not sure I want to post a photo like some others but there is nothing attractive about my effort other than it covers some of my face; folk who know me might see that as a good thing.

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

I dread to think how you must chew if it's the beard getting into your mouth. For me, it's usually the tache.

Well, it's the bits down the side - the beard / tache hybrid bits.

Always make sure the tache doesn't grown down over the mouth.

I once grew out a ridiculous effort by simply not shaving for months. 

When I did cut it off it the resulting hair on the ground looked like someone had shaved Chewbacca's ballbag.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That is very bizarre.  Not sure how that would hold up in an industrial tribunal situation.

Not particularly. I had to be clean shaven offshore if working on sour wells and the need for PPE to be an adequate fit. Respiratory protection doesn't work well with beards. 

Just now, MixuFixit said:

What's a sour well is that like if it's letting out poisonous stuff?

Potential for H2S. At certain points you have to work using a cascade BA system as it's nasty stuff.

2 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Potential for H2S. At certain points you have to work using a cascade BA system as it's nasty stuff.

Would have kept the beard and braved it myself. Better to be dead than to live as a beardless shadow of your true self imo.

9 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

Not particularly. I had to be clean shaven offshore if working on sour wells and the need for PPE to be an adequate fit. Respiratory protection doesn't work well with beards. 

I’m sure there are jobs where there is reason for it, not sure keithgy has such a job.

6 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Would have kept the beard and braved it myself. Better to be dead than to live as a beardless shadow of your true self imo.

That would have resulted in me not having a job. 

I have had many a beard since.

15 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

They don’t work well with snorkelling also 

24 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Did I miss you or did you post after I made it? I've binned it now, not making another one.

Didn't realise it was only of folk who posted their attempts, I started to grow one but it was coming in white in places so shaved it off