The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Noticed this quote from Mellon in the BBC match report...

"Marc McNulty does a power of work but he's better through the middle and Lawrence Shankland is better with someone playing off him.

Hopefully that's the end of the ultra defensive tactics and he uses tactics to bring out the best in those players (and Clark). Was good to see us cause a team problems. 

12 hours ago, Aladdin said:

To be fair, benji was a bit shaky at first. Massively improved though especially in terms of coming for balls and command of the area.

Loves a punch too which is a must for a keeper in my book.

I still have to remind myself that Benji was understudy to Matej Rakovan for a while. It seems scarcely comprehensible now.

28 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Until you force yourself to remember who our manager was at that time.

Tbf he was still pretty shaky the beginning of last season. Since about this time last year he was pretty solid and he's currently smashing it this year.

I thought he was fucking shite before that and full credit to the guy, hes now a keeper id gladly see stay for the next few years.

Im gladly admitting hes proved me wrong.

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Noticed this quote from Mellon in the BBC match report...

"Marc McNulty does a power of work but he's better through the middle and Lawrence Shankland is better with someone playing off him.

Hopefully that's the end of the ultra defensive tactics and he uses tactics to bring out the best in those players (and Clark). Was good to see us cause a team problems. 

Mellon already knew this though - he admitted as much. We were playing a eye-bleeding brand of fitba because Micky wanted the brakes on to help make us tougher to beat.

So I wouldn’t be surprised to see us playing 5 at the back and 1 up top more this season still.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:53, ArabFC said:

Fuchs defo needs a few games to get upto match speed, but I'm cautiously optimistic on first showing that he will develop into a good player for us.

Six weeks on and I reckon we’ve got a decent one here.

Not amazing by any means but exactly what we needed - a mobile ball winner in the middle of the park who looks for the ball.

What I would say though, is that unless we’re parking the bus, Butcher is not a good partner for him. He needs someone he can make the quick 5/10 yard pass to after winning the ball.

Out of what we’ve got, I’d say Pawlett. Live with it haters! 😏

On 24/12/2020 at 12:55, mishtergrolsch said:

Tbf he was still pretty shaky the beginning of last season. Since about this time last year he was pretty solid and he's currently smashing it this year.

I thought he was fucking shite before that and full credit to the guy, hes now a keeper id gladly see stay for the next few years.

Im gladly admitting hes proved me wrong.

I don't think he was too bad at the start of last season tbh. For me the big turning point for Benji was the 18/19 play-off games. He reacted really well to the pressure of those games and has been steadily improving since. Like yourself I'd be glad to have him as our keeper for a long time, but at the rate he's progressing that seems increasingly unlikely.

On 24/12/2020 at 12:53, Sarto Mutiny said:

That same manager signed both goalkeepers, so he must have seen something in Benji...I guess

Yeah.  Bit of a cheap shot at a really easy target really.

Edited by captainkev

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Mellon already knew this though - he admitted as much. We were playing a eye-bleeding brand of fitba because Micky wanted the brakes on to help make us tougher to beat.

So I wouldn’t be surprised to see us playing 5 at the back and 1 up top more this season still.

Yes, we saw that at the start of the season, but it was good to hear him say it publicly. We had stopped the rot but still continued with these tactics inviting pressure and causing us problems. We may see it, bit I'm hoping that it is the exception rather than the rule from now on as when we actually go forward we stop the opposition putting us under constant pressure.

Let's see how it goes though,3 points against Motherwell would be nice too!

7 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think Benji got lumped in with Rakovan rather unfairly in the first season but in truth all the horror shows were with Rakovan in the goals. He laid down a marker in those play-off games and hasn't really looked back since.

I'd agree, always thought he looked decent. Took a wee bit of time to settle in, but you could always see he was decent. I'm sure we are the only club he has been no 1 ( 50 games in total prior to joining us) at and he has certainly grown into the role the longer he's been given that responsibility.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Six weeks on and I reckon we’ve got a decent one here.

Not amazing by any means but exactly what we needed - a mobile ball winner in the middle of the park who looks for the ball.

What I would say though, is that unless we’re parking the bus, Butcher is not a good partner for him. He needs someone he can make the quick 5/10 yard pass to after winning the ball.

Out of what we’ve got, I’d say Pawlett. Live with it haters! 😏

In much the same way as McMullan playing is the best option just now i would agree re Fuchs and Pawlett.

As my old gran used to say " you can only piss with the cock you've got"

33 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Has there ever been such a huge gulf between the dundee clubs? Maybe the admin season after the points deduction?

Worrying times for dundee's most hilarious club.

It’s been a tough year, the Funsters should be congratulated for giving us something to laugh at.

34 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

Has there ever been such a huge gulf between the dundee clubs? Maybe the admin season after the points deduction?

Worrying times for dundee's most hilarious club.

Wonder if they’ll have a special anniversary night about this season in 20 years time like they did for Dee-fiant? What will they call this one? Me-Dee-ocre?