The Dundee United Thread 22/23

23 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Maybe depends on the manner of the questioning. It was, remember, the Courier who released the picture just at the most inopportune moment. 

I’m not a lover of the DC Thompson press but I’d question “in opportune”.  They’re the press, covering stories is their job.

48 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It was, remember, the Courier who released the picture just at the most inopportune moment. 

Who took the photo and how did the courier get a hold of it, just as 9 players had to go in to isolation? 

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not a lover of the DC Thompson press but I’d question “in opportune”.  They’re the press, covering stories is their job.

Not so much stories as garnering clicks these days.

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
6 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:
Who took the photo and how did the courier get a hold of it, just as 9 players had to go in to isolation? 

I wish I cared about Dundee United as much as you do

You should try instead of just repeatedly crying online then. 

Worth saying as one of Connelly’s haters, that he played very well today. 

There were a couple of players on the park that were stinking, but I’ll ignore that given we played about as well as we could have reasonably expected to.

But with 10-15 mins to go and just a goal down, you’d think Mellon would utilise the bench and push to get a leveller - no such fucking luck - Instead he stuck Edwards up top with a minute to go - pure WTF! 🤦‍♂️

Yup can't really fault the defence there. Robson and Smith played very well today. 

I've defended Harkes plenty but today was the final straw, he's just not at the level required for the team to succeed. Need a clever play making midfielder in his place. Mochrie would be ideal replacement for him from the youths and has been getting great reviews during his loan. Even Chalmers would be a better option although it's not his natural position. 

When you are getting covered more by your striker (McNulty) who was playing right side of the front 3 you know there's issues. 

On that note I was impressed again by McNulty who covered a lot of ground and done a fair bit of defensive duties today. 

Shankland doesn't get any sort of service in this formation especially against teams at the level of Rangers. Could do with some time out unfortunately. 

Impressed by certain aspects of our game today and the industry of our players, in particular Fuchs.  We were so much better than we were against Livi.  If we can take today’s performance forward against teams that do not have Sevco’s quality we might pick up some points this month.

As I said in the match thread Harkes is rotten.

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Impressed by certain aspects of our game today and the industry of our players, in particular Fuchs.  We were so much better than we were against Livi.  If we can take today’s performance forward against teams that do not have Sevco’s quality we might pick up some points this month.

As I said in the match thread Harkes is rotten.

I'm really disappointed in Harkes more than anything else. I thought with the qualities he has he would do a lot better in the prem but he just can't seem to pick a pass or tackle any more. 

Wonder if it's a psychological thing cause I honestly don't think he's bereft of actual ability. He's offering a solid 5/10 every match but it's simply not good enough. 

I'm not feeling the positives today as much as some people. The way we set up every game is incredibly negative. It just so happens that today expectations were so low that people will accept that approach. We were never in any danger of winning the game and didn't compete at any point. 

Nice goal from Smith though.

13 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm really disappointed in Harkes more than anything else. I thought with the qualities he has he would do a lot better in the prem but he just can't seem to pick a pass or tackle any more. 

Wonder if it's a psychological thing cause I honestly don't think he's bereft of actual ability. He's offering a solid 5/10 every match but it's simply not good enough. 

I'd like to see how he'd get on in a team that tries to attack and play football. 

Harkes is a complete passenger. Offers nothing whatsoever. Ive said before im not keen on how we set up but in games like today its fine however we should be committing bodies forward with 15 mins left. You get the zero points whether you lose 2-1 or 3-1 so i wouldve liked us to have more of a go latter in the match

54 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

What qualities? He was middling to meh in the Championship.

No idea how anyone thought the soft as shite lad was ever going to be able to do anything at this level.

I swither between getting annoyed at Mellons negativity and thinking he is essentially the new Alex Ferguson.

To have this squad (semi) regularly picking up points is some achievement.  Apart from Benji that's a squad that would get relegated most years . 

Today is a case in point that we were organised, kept our shape and the only complaint I would have is with 10 to go having kept yourself in touch you need to go for it.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I swither between getting annoyed at Mellons negativity and thinking he is essentially the new Alex Ferguson.

To have this squad (semi) regularly picking up points is some achievement.  Apart from Benji that's a squad that would get relegated most years . 

Today is a case in point that we were organised, kept our shape and the only complaint I would have is with 10 to go having kept yourself in touch you need to go for it.

And open up lots of gaps for us to exploit.....

Is there any further word about Declan Glass recovery? Would love to have seen him play for Partick Thistle which clearly won’t be happening now, but for the sake of the lad himself who seems to be a real talent and full of potential, I hope he recovers fully and makes it at United 👍