The Dundee United Thread 22/23

39 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

How is Kevin McDonald looking?

Looked understandably rusty first half, bit of an unsure first touch. Motherwell were quick to try close him down and capitalise on it whenever he hot the ball. Grew into the game though. In the 2nd half particularly he was being pretty vocal and co-ordinating things in the midfield.

I didn't think he'd last past the hour mark when I saw him in the starting line up, but he got 70 mins under his belt tonight and wasn't obviously flagging when subbed off.

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

4th 🤷‍♀️

Won't get carried away but at least there's grounds to build on.

Arabs tend to get carried away, it has to be said - this thread is an incredible mixture of one minute looking out our passports; then the next minute wanting Asghar, Courts and everyone else sacked... 

6 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Either get plenty on it or catch the fucking thing. Dont be parrying it a couple of yards to the side. 

Benji has conceded 1 goal in 360 minutes (at Celtic Park) and is still getting criticised for not keeping clean sheets with enough strength!!  Only at Tannadice...

6 hours ago, Kelheart said:

To be fair think it was just Peter Grant made everyone shit in that team 

It would appear that both Peter Grant and John Hughes are pretty dreadful football managers.  One has to assume that they only get these gigs because Chairmen listen to the BBC and believe their drivel about what great guys they are!?

5 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Ross Graham had both belied my expectations and corroborated my deep seated mistrust of Fifers.

Truly baffling.  The Dode Fox Podcast loan report had me worried that Graham was headed for the Juniors...

22 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Brilliant strike by Levitt. Boys like that you don't mind paying the money to see. 

Levitt is an absolute baller.  Definitely not the finished article, but if he can gain a bit of strength and consistency then he will go to the very top.

6 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Arabs tend to get carried away, it has to be said - this thread is an incredible mixture of one minute looking out our passports; then the next minute wanting Asghar, Courts and everyone else sacked... 

Benji has conceded 1 goal in 360 minutes (at Celtic Park) and is still getting criticised for not keeping clean sheets with enough strength!!  Only at Tannadice...

1 I don't think that's fair representation of the recent posts at all, and if truth be told a little bit facetious. The recent comments have all been regarding the seriously poor play for the previous 13 league games in general. The " repeating the same thing again & again & hoping for different results" management we've had served up has been seriously poor. Last night's game, while not brilliant, showed promise and return to more of the quicker, pressing , more direct passing game that got us points and doing well earlier in the season. Most folk in this thread really wanted top 6 & improved performances over last season. With this squad and fees paid that is entirely realistic, I suspect Europe etc is just the usual jest and ambition rather than expectation.

He has done well, it doesn't mean that everything he does is brilliant and doesn't make mistakes. Benji has done this a few times recently where a save has pushed the ball straight out to the feet of an attacker, see Ross County & last night did exactly the same thing. If an outfield player 1st timed a clearance straight to an opponent who got a shot away ( scores, had it saved etc) they would have a bit of criticism, its the same thing. We all appreciate you can't stop the ball  rebounding like that all the time, but you can see a slight change in "style" in those situations that might be Benji it might be the coaching, it might just be bad luck. At the game I thought it was Benji's mistake, on the highlights, maybe he was just unlucky. It is something a goalkeeper would be trying to avoid happening though. But it is entirely reasonable for folk to discuss it, it has been picked up on every United forum.

Edited by Tannadeechee

Graham isn't Baresi (or Mulgrew) with the ball at his feet but he seems to do the basics of defending well enough.

Hasn't shown the flashiness of Neilson but, in his 3 and a bit games, hasn't yet been completely caught out like Neilson has at times.

Certainly enough shown by both of them to be optimistic that we have home grown replacements for Edwards and Mulgrew in time.

Better performances throughout the team last night, I'm unsure if I've seen much or any praise for McNulty, who makes moves and runs to find space a bit too quickly for some of our forward passing. As a result he might look as though he's not on the same wavelength as others, which reflects badly on him, wrongly I think. 

I'd stick with him and Watt as a two up top, even in the difficult Pittodrie and Sevco matches, and this creates space for Niskanen on the left: even without that lung bursting run for Watt's goal I though the Finn had a good match last night.

Graham's fine performance was no-nonsense, and McDonald gave a presence in the middle, and although sometimes his distribution was wayward, that should improve with minutes on the park.

Seigrist? Yes he's had the clean sheets, and performed very well in some games, but I still have doubts about his handling. However the save in the first 15 seconds, while not spectacular, did ensure we didn't suffer a collective groan and booing around the ground. Some keepers wouldn't have been alert to that attempt.

Speaking of groans and moans, I note the loudest complainers, who were in good voice early in the match, were well quiet when we went two up.

57 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Better performances throughout the team last night, I'm unsure if I've seen much or any praise for McNulty, who makes moves and runs to find space a bit too quickly for some of our forward passing. As a result he might look as though he's not on the same wavelength as others, which reflects badly on him, wrongly I think. 

I'd stick with him and Watt as a two up top, even in the difficult Pittodrie and Sevco matches, and this creates space for Niskanen on the left: even without that lung bursting run for Watt's goal I though the Finn had a good match last night.

Graham's fine performance was no-nonsense, and McDonald gave a presence in the middle, and although sometimes his distribution was wayward, that should improve with minutes on the park.

Seigrist? Yes he's had the clean sheets, and performed very well in some games, but I still have doubts about his handling. However the save in the first 15 seconds, while not spectacular, did ensure we didn't suffer a collective groan and booing around the ground. Some keepers wouldn't have been alert to that attempt.

Speaking of groans and moans, I note the loudest complainers, who were in good voice early in the match, were well quiet when we went two up.

I thought McNulty started well, it appeared he had dropped out,.but his movement definitely kept the Motherwell defence busy and created space for Niskanen and Watt. I'd agree that Watt & McNultyare worth sticking with. The link up between them in the 1st half I thought was good.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Apart form when Mulgrew comes back please just stick with this team for a bit.

Even if Freeman comes back I'll take the hit for a settled team 

Normally I'd be against Smith staying at RB but he was good bursting forwards last night! 

4 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Graham isn't Baresi (or Mulgrew) with the ball at his feet but he seems to do the basics of defending well enough.

Hasn't shown the flashiness of Neilson but, in his 3 and a bit games, hasn't yet been completely caught out like Neilson has at times.

Certainly enough shown by both of them to be optimistic that we have home grown replacements for Edwards and Mulgrew in time.

Yeah, Graham looks like more of a bread and butter defender - wins headers and tackles and clears the ball. Nothing fancy, nothing daft. The fact that he's a big lad and left footed is a bonus. 

Yeah, Graham looks like more of a bread and butter defender - wins headers and tackles and clears the ball. Nothing fancy, nothing daft. The fact that he's a big lad and left footed is a bonus. 
It seems incredible that he struggled so badly at Dunfermline given his form with us, but that probably reflects more on Dunfermline and Peter Grant than it does on Ross Graham

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
5 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

It seems incredible that he struggled so badly at Dunfermline given his form with us, but that probably reflects more on Dunfermline and Peter Grant than it does on Ross Graham

The key to bringing the youngsters on is who they are playing alongside, definitely in defence.  Suspect Butcher and Edwards are good enough to talk him through the game and that support will be the key difference (who was he alongside at Dunfermline?)  The game at Parkheid with Butcher and two rookies in the back three for a good bit of game time speaks volumes for them all.  If we can get McDonald having that influence on some of the young lads (and even Levitt and Harkes)in midfield things bode well.  I am almost being positive...!

Edited by Finn Seemann

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Ross Graham will go for £1m plus and we will use some of the cash to bring in another Mulgrew or Edwards.  You heard it here first.

Being serious here, if United are consistently producing players capable of getting 7 figures a pop for us I'm happy with that.