The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Aye, I suppose they probably are a higher quality side, although I didn't think much of most their play. Some unnecessary challenges and diving from them, but I suppose that's just a sign of a serious, competitive side. They were big and strong and organised (the number 8 was a right annoying w**k).

Based on today and last season and generally making shit up, I'd be leaning towards lining up as follows:-

A different keeper/ Birrighitti

Smith - Edwards - Mulgrew - Graham

Levitt - Meekison

?? Cudjoe .. ?? Glass .. Watt

Fletcher

If we could get someone in with a bit of steel then move Meekison forward one to make space and maybe McGrath on the right. Cudjoe and Glass to push for places off the bench; Harkes and Sibbald for depth (assuming Sibbald is unfit rather than shite). Freeman to compete with Smith; McMann with Graham. Mochrie out on loan; Chalmers on the verge of not making it at this level.

9 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Imagine leaving Scotland for the sunshine life of Australia, marrying a footballer and then being dragged to the Hilltoon every second Saturday.

Shite hand that. :lol:

It was his missus that had him wanting to come, fk knows why like 😂

Jack Ross saying we need four more outfield players:

'I need four outfield players' - Jack Ross lays down Dundee United transfer desire as update on Steven Fletcher and Dylan Levitt given

Dundee United manager Jack Ross has once again reiterated the need for reinforcements at Tannadice following a 2-0 friendly defeat by Sunderland.

Dundee United Manager Jack Ross in the stands during a pre-season friendly match against Sunderland.

Ross had to field a 16-year-old striker in Rory MacLeod against the Black Cats due to a small thigh injury for new signing Steven Fletcher, who is one of three arrivals already in the door alongside midfielders Craig Sibbald and Dylan Levitt.

While Sibbald played 60 minutes, Levitt joined Fletcher on the sidelines with his own injury and while neither are serious, Ross is keen to add at least four new players before the competitive action begins on July 30 away at Kilmarnock.

“We need bodies, there’s no doubt about that,” said Ross.

“You can see where we are squad-wise, we had 16-year-olds starting today and when you looked at the bench with the exception of Nicky Clark, there was nobody over 21.

“So we have a very young group and we need reinforcements.

“I think we need at least four outfield players, you can see that. Hopefully we can get them in soon.

“The Scottish Premiership isn’t an easy league so you need that depth of quality and that’s what we’ve striving to get.

“It has been harder playing catch-up because all the work I would have done at the latter part of last season and into the early summer I wasn’t able to do because I wasn’t here.

“We are chasing a bit and that makes it harder because a lot of the ones you would have identified go and you have to find others.

“You can always sign players but it’s just making sure they’re what you want quality-wise. We have tried to be patient but we need numbers in.

“We would like to get some of the young players out on loan to help their development but we can’t do that at the moment.

“That’s not because they are not good players, they need experience.”

United are expected to complete the signing of Central Coast Mariners goalkeeper Mark Birighitti next week. The 31-year-old is still in homeland Australia but Mariners have already admitted he is leaving for Scotland, with an Italian passport expected to circumnavigate any visa issues.

Just a heads up, UEFA made a arse of it. They have included the Levski Sofia/POAK game in two groups (3 and 5).

What they've missed out is CSKA-Sofia (BUL) vs Makedonija GP Skopje (MKD), so you can see how they did it. As to which group was the error no doubt cleared up tomorrow.

Whatever the tie, I don't fancy our chances against any of those seeded teams. 

Looking for Antwerp (or CSKA if the draw fcuked up) for any meagre chance at all really.

Looking for Antwerp (or CSKA if the draw fcuked up) for any meagre chance at all really.

that's a tough group of teams tbh

16 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Yeah, I was hoping we'd get through one round at least, that looks a tall order based on that list

For what its worth I'm fairly (semi)confident that UEFA's fcukup is having PAOK in our group as that would mean we had 3 out of the top 5 seeded teams.

So expecting CSKA Sofia to be in and not PAOK.

FC Basel **              Sui  55.000            
Slavia Praha **          Cze  52.000             
Young Boys **            Sui  37.000            
AZ Alkmaar **            Ned  28.500             
PAOK Thessaloniki **     Gre  25.000   

Surely to f**k we'd be looking to beat Crusaders out of that list. And the Macedonian bunch.

Teams like the Sofias, Antwerp, Basel, Alkmaar and PAOK will clearly pump us but id hope we could beat the other two, not that we'll end up drawn against them.

We'll end up with Basel imo. Which would be cool.

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Surely to f**k we'd be looking to beat Crusaders out of that list. And the Macedonian bunch.

Teams like the Sofias, Antwerp, Basel, Alkmaar and PAOK will clearly pump us but id hope we could beat the other two, not that we'll end up drawn against them.

Crusaders are playing Basel first, who they'll get pumped by obviously.

29 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

You’ve not really grasped the above graphic I don’t think.

The two teams you mention will likely get horsed by the teams they’re playing (Basel & CSKA Sofia)

That’s a tough set of teams you’ve got, & I don’t see you beating any of them.