George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

42 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I wonder which is worse. Criticising people for not taking a knee, or destroying their careers, denouncing them as traitors, boycotting their sponsors and issuing death threats for doing so.

I'm glad you have no beef with anyone who takes a knee because there's a shit-ton of angry, violent people who do.

I don't really see the point in that post.

Since I'm not denouncing anyone as a traitor. I'm not boycotting anyone's sponsor. I'm not issuing anyone a death threat.

I'm just questioning the sanity of criticising basically any other country in the world (or a sports team representing one) who doesn't conform to the political norms of the USA.

And what's so special about sports teams? Why do they absolutely have to follow this new convention? Why not newsreaders? Why not politicians before any speech? Why not literally every public event? Why sport?

It's possible to be critical of one viewpoint without completely endorsing the lunatic fringe of the opposite viewpoint. Your response is akin to a Celtic fan replying to criticism of their fans' behaviour with 'Well what about the huuunnnzzz'.

Edited by JTS98

15 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Your response is akin to a Celtic fan replying to criticism of their fans' behaviour with 'Well what about the huuunnnzzz'.

I wondered if you would take that line. But as you 'don't see the point of the post', I'll spell it out.

It's my belief that you were drawing our attention to Michael Holding's comments to once more make the point that "the left" are imposing their beliefs on everyone else. I'm pointing out that this example is mind-numbingly trivial compared to the hatred oozing from the right. And while I'll admit I'm coming at it from a different perspective, being in the US, I can assure you that what happened to Colin Kapaernick was not from the 'lunatic fringe." That was and is, supported by every mainstream conservative.  Freedom lovers all.

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I wondered if you would take that line. But as you 'don't see the point of the post', I'll spell it out.

It's my belief that you were drawing our attention to Michael Holding's comments to once more make the point that "the left" are imposing their beliefs on everyone else. I'm pointing out that this example is mind-numbingly trivial compared to the hatred oozing from the right. And while I'll admit I'm coming at it from a different perspective, being in the US, I can assure you that what happened to Colin Kapaernick was not from the 'lunatic fringe." That was and is, supported by every mainstream conservative.  Freedom lovers all.

But why does Colin Kaepernick's protest against police brutality in the USA have anything to do with the cricket teams of England, Pakistan, and Australia? It should be pointed out that these are all multi-racial/multi-ethnic teams and coaching staffs.

Why should they be criticised for not joining in? Why is it absolutely incumbent on them to do so? Why does this apply to them but not newsreaders or tv soap actors?

Edited by JTS98

But why does Colin Kaepernick's protest against police brutality in the USA have anything to do with the cricket teams of England, Pakistan, and Australia? It should be pointed out that these are all multi-racial/multi-ethnic teams and coaching staffs.
Why should they be criticised for not joining in? Why is it absolutely incumbent on them to do so? Why does this apply to them but not newsreaders or tv soap actors?
Some of it is virtue signaling and good PR.

If people want to do it then its OK, I still don't see what it will achieve tbh.
Bigger things need change and its just a meaningless gesture. Why not donate money to racism charities or causes instead?

16 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Some of it is virtue signaling and good PR.

If people want to do it then its OK, I still don't see what it will achieve tbh.
Bigger things need change and its just a meaningless gesture. Why not donate money to racism charities or causes instead?

I find it bizarre that cricket players from a country like Pakistan, riven with divisions and injustices of its own, and whose players come from disparate ethnic groups and often have grown up or lived abroad as minorities themselves, can be criticised for not seeing it as a priority to signal their solidarity with a political movement of a country that is often at loggerheads with their own, and which many Pakistanis (and their government) see as the main destabilising force in their neighbourhood.

It's a special kind of ignorance that demands that this is an issue the Pakistanis should be pumped up about.

And, anyway, they're fucking cricket players. Why do they have a responsibility to involve themselves at all? They're just playing some fucking ODIs!

Edited by JTS98

7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

England and Australia now being criticised for not doing the knee thing in their upcoming ODIs. England and Pakistan were criticised previously for not doing so.

I've got no beef with anyone who wants to do so. But I don't see what's helpful about a blanket criticism of anyone refusing to do so.

We're talking about a protest movement started around events in America. Why should it be a commentable thing for the cricket teams of Australia, Pakistan, and England not to do this? Why is this being applied to sports people disproportionately? What about others in the public sphere? Do we expect newsreaders to take a knee before kicking off News at Ten? What about the cast of Eastenders before each episode?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/10/michael-holding-condemns-england-and-australia-for-not-taking-a-knee

England's response will be in the next issue of Private Eye.

“Our response to the Black Lives Matter debate has been to view the issue alongside the whole inclusion and diversity space, to ensure that long-term and sustainable change happens for all communities who are not treated equally. We remain committed to this philosophy.

“England’s men’s and women’s players all remain committed to using their reach and influence to keep promoting inclusion and diversity in perpetuity, for the betterment of cricket and sport. We understand the importance of symbolism, and its power to keep an issue high on the agenda, our goal is to ensure we deliver both reach and change.”

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

England's response will be in the next issue of Private Eye.

It's a ridiculous statement, no doubt. Proper PR-speak.

The question is why they have to say anything at all.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

It's a ridiculous statement, no doubt. Proper PR-speak.

The question is why they have to say anything at all.

They didn't have to,  it was just one cricketer talking on Sky. Michael Holden isn't an official spokesman for BLM. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They didn't have to,  it was just one cricketer talking on Sky. Michael Holden isn't an official spokesman for BLM. 

And I never said he was.

However, his criticism of these teams receiving a sympathetic ear in a major national (really international) newspaper is worthy of mention.

It's also been carried by Sky, The Telegraph, and news sources around the world.

It is literally a global news story that some cricket teams are not kneeling down before playing cricket. That is ridiculous and calling it so is fair.

Edited by JTS98

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I find it bizarre that cricket players from a country like Pakistan, riven with divisions and injustices of its own, and whose players come from disparate ethnic groups and often have grown up or lived abroad as minorities themselves, can be criticised for not seeing it as a priority to signal their solidarity with a political movement of a country that is often at loggerheads with their own, and which many Pakistanis (and their government) see as the main destabilising force in their neighbourhood.

It's a special kind of ignorance that demands that this is an issue the Pakistanis should be pumped up about.

And, anyway, they're fucking cricket players. Why do they have a responsibility to involve themselves at all? They're just playing some fucking ODIs!

Are you not aware you're living in 21st century Britain

It became the same with the poppies a few years ago

Anyone who didn't wear a poppy became the devil

I’d say that taking the knee is a more pertinent and understandable bit of “virtue signalling” than our teams wearing a poppy. Professional sports teams bring people of different colours and backgrounds together to work as a, eh, team. Making a stance against intolerance and racism is a good thing. The poppy used to be a dignified nod to those who suffered in WW1. Now it’s the polar opposite of taking the knee IMO, the way it has been adopted by the far right (or whatever more palatable sobriquet they’ve given themselves so they can sleep at night).

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's their time to stand up without a beer crate.

BLM protesters blocked the entrance to the hospital stopping ambulances from entering whilst shouting ‘we hope they die’. America is fucked. Yes there is an issue with racism in their police, there’s lots of fucking huge issues with their police, its reflective of the massive issues in their entire society.

On 21/09/2020 at 21:13, Day of the Lords said:

American cops might be thick, racist c***s but posting from beyond the grave is pretty impressive imo.

Screenshot_20200921-211139_Facebook.jpg

Carl le Ellis  Blount who is serving life without parole? That one? 

Entirely similar issue to the impunity with which the police act.