George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I do already know this and I’m not disputing the complexity or sensitivity of the issue. That however still doesn’t explain to me how somebody identifying someone else by the colour of their skin makes them a racist.

It's all about the context and wording, like most things. If the ref had said "the black guy on the end" rather than pointing at him and saying "the black" there's a difference I think you'd agree? I don't know exactly how it went down though.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I do already know this and I’m not disputing the complexity or sensitivity of the issue. That however still doesn’t explain to me how somebody identifying someone else by the colour of their skin makes them a racist.

I don't think it does always but to my mind the issue is not that it's skin colour but race that's used. No-one is actually black in colour, so what you're saying is "i classify you as part of the black race".

Many people don't mind race as a means of grouping people. Many people object to race being a defining characteristic for them. Personally i don't like race as a classification because it is arbitrary around the category borders and not very useful. 

It could be argued in extremis that using race to define anyone is what racism is. Using it as a means of distinguishing between people is not the same, but it could be a symptom. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

It is very surprising that the far right have latched on to the concern trolling that went on over the summer about some members of BLM being Marxists. Who could’ve guessed that would’ve happened?

Any of these arsehóles gives me a coherent explanation of their understanding of Marxist theory, I'll listen to their argument. Until then, I'll continue to refer to them as stupid, bigoted, racist cúnts. Because, y'know, that's kind of what they are.

PSG incident has somewhat distracted from Millwall who played lastnight, and who changed their pre game routine to hold up an anti racism banner, which the fans applauded.

Now if the anti racism message has been applauded then fine.... Except now I just cant help but think it serves to vindicate the booing cretins who have been smart enough not to do it twice and thus, further discrediting the BLM message in the eyes of the thousands of already racist c***s across the country who need to further convincing to run with this "BUT MARXIST" nonsense.

Millwall printing out flyers to give the fans pre match saying "the eyes of the world are on us and they want us to fail" is a bit odd too. Pretty sure the world just wants you not to be racist arseholes tbh.

In short, Millwall remain an absolute shitstain of a club IMHO
The music in the stadium was turned right up at that point as well, they were making sure they drowned out any booing if it had happened.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's all about the context and wording, like most things. If the ref had said "the black guy on the end" rather than pointing at him and saying "the black" there's a difference I think you'd agree? I don't know exactly how it went down though.

This. As with other protected characteristics, there are ways to address the difference without causing offence. I've always thought that a useful rue of thumb is to consider what people whose characteristics are protected by legislation find offensive and, rather than dismiss their concerns as being trivial, just not use language which might offend. If you treat people with respect, and inadvertently use an offensive term, they will more than likely explain where you went wrong - and how it makes them feel - rather than scream "discrimination!". That way, we all learn to get along better.

I’m unsure what to think about the PSG game. I highly doubt the 4th official meant anything racist by it but in this day and age with everyone being hyper sensitive about anything then he should have known better. I had a wry smile as at the same time on the Royal Variety show a group were performing and they were called the Black Blues Brothers. 

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This. As with other protected characteristics, there are ways to address the difference without causing offence. I've always thought that a useful rue of thumb is to consider what people whose characteristics are protected by legislation find offensive and, rather than dismiss their concerns as being trivial, just not use language which might offend. If you treat people with respect, and inadvertently use an offensive term, they will more than likely explain where you went wrong - and how it makes them feel - rather than scream "discrimination!". That way, we all learn to get along better.

Aye, it's just old fashioned politeness. It's easy for people to say the wrong thing unawares in all sorts of situations, but when it's explained to you, normal people will take it onboard and avoid it in future, instead of spluttering political correctness gone mad!

Any of these arsehóles gives me a coherent explanation of their understanding of Marxist theory, I'll listen to their argument. Until then, I'll continue to refer to them as stupid, bigoted, racist cúnts. Because, y'know, that's kind of what they are.

Everyone knows fine well what it is. It’s putting women in your video games and killing white peoples. Marx famously wrote extensively about this.

21 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Point of pedantry, but under the equalities act it is not only people with minority characteristics that are protected.  A heterosexual Christian Male is as equally protected as a lesbian muslim from Nigeria, despite what Littlejohn and his ilk might think. 

Edited by coprolite
More pedantry

17 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m unsure what to think about the PSG game. I highly doubt the 4th official meant anything racist by it but in this day and age with everyone being hyper sensitive about anything then he should have known better. I had a wry smile as at the same time on the Royal Variety show a group were performing and they were called the Black Blues Brothers. 

I'm very sure what to think. When BT Sport said that the Turkish team had walked off, I thought, "well, if that report's accurate, I don't blame them, really." When they then reported that PSG had joined them, I'll be honest, it was better than seeing Man U going three down. I just hope that this continues, but I don't think we should hold our breath.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Point of pedantry, but under the equalities act it is not only people with minority characteristics that are protected.  A heterosexual Christian Male is as equally protected as a lesbian muslim from Nigeria, despite what Littlejohn and his ilk might think. 

I get your point, but the equalities act tends to be invoked when people have been disadvantaged because of one or more protected characteristics. While gender, religion and sexual orientation are all protected characteristics, you'll struggle to find a case where someone legitimately suffered discrimination from any of White, Christian, or Heterosexual. Except on Facebook, of course. You'll end up in the jail for having a "Xmas" tree on there...

?

Said how AJ had a better than than him, then in explanation said it's a compliment because he likes brown, and its bot his fault if folk in the world have a complex within themselves 

Eta just realised this hapoend in October. Apologies. It was being shown on SSN there

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
?

Said how AJ had a better than than him, then in explanation said it's a compliment because he likes brown, and its bot his fault if folk in the world have a complex within themselves

Nope, not any clearer.

17 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I get your point, but the equalities act tends to be invoked when people have been disadvantaged because of one or more protected characteristics. While gender, religion and sexual orientation are all protected characteristics, you'll struggle to find a case where someone legitimately suffered discrimination from any of White, Christian, or Heterosexual. Except on Facebook, of course. You'll end up in the jail for having a "Xmas" tree on there...

I've often thought of taking a case against our council's leisure operator for having ladies only swimming sessions although I'll conceed my motives are less than pure. 

They haven't been brainwashed. That makes them sound like victims. They are contemptible bigots who have found a flimsy justification for acting like arseholes through social media. It hasn't changed them but it has helped them.
Just seems like they've all just googled marxist and now that gives them a racist card. I shout stuff because blm are marxist.