George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

7 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Pfft. That sort wouldn't make it through the barricades at the town limit.

OOOOOHHHHH TURN AROUND AND I'LL BE THERE

On 04/06/2020 at 17:26, Brother Blades said:

Where’s manky jacket? He could complete a grade ‘A’top ten in the shit parade.

Manky and the mental Highland boy. Two bob rocket of a boy. 

The suspension of the two officers from Buffalo for pushing a 75 year old man to the ground has led to the other 57 members of their team resigning.

These folk are bats hit crazy.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The suspension of the two officers from Buffalo for pushing a 75 year old man to the ground has led to the other 57 members of their team resigning.

Is that not how Covid-19 started?

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I wonder what would happen if the police went on strike.

A lot of the people protesting would quickly shut up I imagine.

This whole situation has went way OTT now. Folk want street names in Glasgow changed because of their links to slavery. All these memorials and shrines,murals to George Floyd as if he was some kind of saint. Folk being encouraged to go on protests in various cities across the UK, yet when families go to the beaches here they're called covidiots. That’s not factoring in the “influencers” posing for likes and the independent retailers who have saw their livelihoods destroyed. Why the big scene over George Floyd when the Breanna Taylor killing was more deserving of scorn and protests 

Edited by Thereisalight..

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Because it was filmed in broad daylight by people screaming at him to stop and he didn't stop.

The police officer is a kunt and deserves a life sentence. As far as I’m aware not one police officer has been charged over the Taylor killing

Just now, Aufc said:

I see social media is kicking up a fuss about keith lemons craig david impression and other stuff. Mrs doubtfire also being mentioned.

Bo Selecta got (rightly) a fair bit of critiscm at the time for essentially just being blackface. That's not a new thing. It's only around today because Merrion talked about it.

10 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I see social media is kicking up a fuss about keith lemons craig david impression and other stuff. Mrs doubtfire also being mentioned.

I noticed he was apologising for the cruelty of blacking up to portray Mel B, Craig David, and so on. Similarly David Walliams of Little Britain saying he'd never be so cruel as to do that now.

Was I missing the point, or was cruelty not the entire point of those shows?

Edit: I guess the whole, "it's OK, it's ironic" excuse hasn't aged well.

Another edit: it's interesting that both of those shows were absolutely massive at the time, but disappeared almost immediately, to the point that the viewing figures of Little Britain Series 3 apparently tailed off dramatically.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

50 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This whole situation has went way OTT now. Folk want street names in Glasgow changed because of their links to slavery. All these memorials and shrines,murals to George Floyd as if he was some kind of saint. Folk being encouraged to go on protests in various cities across the UK, yet when families go to the beaches here they're called covidiots. That’s not factoring in the “influencers” posing for likes and the independent retailers who have saw their livelihoods destroyed. Why the big scene over George Floyd when the Breanna Taylor killing was more deserving of scorn and protests 

Maybe instead of violent protests they could try peaceful ones instead? You know, famous athletes could try maybe kneeling during the national anthem. I'm sure that'd lead to discussions about positive change.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Maybe instead of violent protests they could try peaceful ones instead? You know, famous athletes could try maybe kneeling during the national anthem. I'm sure that'd lead to discussions about positive change.

There is a middle ground between athletes kneeling and scumbags looting and setting fire to shops 

9 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Another edit: it's interesting that both of those shows were absolutely massive at the time, but disappeared almost immediately, to the point that the viewing figures of Little Britain Series 3 apparently tailed off dramatically.

They were both catchprase-based sketch shows. The problem with catchphrase-based sketch shows is that there are only so many episodes you can watch before realising it's the same catchphrases in the same sketches.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

There is a middle ground between athletes kneeling and scumbags looting and setting fire to shops 

What is it then?

They tried peaceful protests. They didn't work.

They're now doing disruprive protests.

What's the middle ground?

What do you think they should be doing?

Edited by Gaz