George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

They were both catchprase-based sketch shows. The problem with catchphrase-based sketch shows is that there are only so many episodes you can watch before realising it's the same catchphrases in the same sketches.

The Fast Show got out while the going was still good.

You do still hear the occasional "suit you sir", or "scorchio!" thinking about it. I can't actually remember any catchphrases from those two.

Edit: Computer says no! I used that a few days ago. D'oh.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The Fast Show got out while the going was still good.

You do still hear the occasional "suit you sir", or "scorchio!" thinking about it. I can't actually remember any catchphrases from those two.

Edit: Computer says no! I used that a few days ago. D'oh.

images (9).jpeg

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Folk want street names in Glasgow changed because of their links to slavery.

Disgraceful, we should be celebrating our heritage and how our great buildings were paid for.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What is it then?

They tried peaceful protests. They didn't work.

They're now doing disruprive protests.

What's the middle ground?

What do you think they should be doing?

I don’t know. Maybe try setting fire to a police station rather than some middle aged couples livelihood 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I don’t know. Maybe try setting fire to a police station rather than some middle aged couples livelihood 

In fairness I was about to say the problem is that the protests aren't violent enough. But I think you have got the right idea now

+ the looters and the protesters are two different things. The police let the looters loot, so they can blame the peaceful protesters

Edited by Turkmenbashi

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

images (9).jpeg

I remember those sketches being quite popular with some disabled folk at the time - nice to see the disabled being treated like normal people, etc.

Problem was, the character wasn't disabled, but feigning disability in order to get somebody to do everything for him. In the years since, we've seen attitudes to the disabled harden, with government pushing to cut benefits for even the most infirm, and trying to make people incapable of paid work "economically viable". Did Little Britain help make this approach possible by popularising the idea that that people with disabilities are "at it"?

I'll be a shitebag and say - you be the judge!

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The police officer is a kunt and deserves a life sentence. As far as I’m aware not one police officer has been charged over the Taylor killing

Three months of lockdown have contributed to this but at the same time you'll barely find a single marcher who doesn't also think those that killed Taylor should be charged. Even over here there has been a resurgence of interest in the killings of De Menezes, Iain Tomlinson and Sheku Bayoh. Protests that escalate like this tend to occur spontaneously, organically and without any planning. I'm sure you could go back to loads of major rebellions and revolutions and ask why it was this particular spark that lit the flame.

ETA: Misread a comment. As you were.

Edited by NotThePars

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I remember wondering that when I was a kid. Why don't demonstrators attack police stations rather than shops? Why don't protesters march down to the affluent neighbourhoods and loot there, rather than crippling their own communities?

The answer to the former is that they'd all be shot on the streets like dogs. Make no mistake; there'd be zero tolerance of that shit. The answer to the latter is that the authorities box the troublemakers in to poorer areas to protect the folk with money. The strategy has always been to allow the animals to blow off steam by breaking their own toys; eventually they'll get tired, we can all get back to normal, and nothing of value has been lost.

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If they tried that they'd get absolutely massacred.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I remember wondering that when I was a kid. Why don't demonstrators attack police stations rather than shops? Why don't protesters march down to the affluent neighbourhoods and loot there, rather than crippling their own communities?

The answer to the former is that they'd all be shot on the streets like dogs. Make no mistake; there'd be zero tolerance of that shit. The answer to the latter is that the authorities box the troublemakers in to poorer areas to protect the folk with money. The strategy has always been to allow the animals to blow off steam by breaking their own toys; eventually they'll get tired, we can all get back to normal, and nothing of value has been lost.

The police definitely made a strategic retreat in the hope that the protestors would either peter out or alienate enough people when they started causing serious damage to property but torching a police station apparently is a galvanising action to people. 

Attacking the actions of individual protestors to tar the entire movement across a country as vast as America is always done with a motive particularly when the protests are completely decentralised and are in response to actually targeted brutality levelled by the state and its enforcers. 

I don't think the looters and protesters should be put together as if there's the same thing. The protesters create a bit of a safe zone from the police and the looters come in and exploit it. There will be a bit of cross over but they're not the same.

12 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate tbh. I’ve saw clips of them looting or vandalising places that are affluent (too end car show rooms, designer shops etc) 

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The police definitely made a strategic retreat in the hope that the protestors would either peter out or alienate enough people when they started causing serious damage to property but torching a police station apparently is a galvanising action to people. 

Attacking the actions of individual protestors to tar the entire movement across a country as vast as America is always done with a motive particularly when the protests are completely decentralised and are in response to actually targeted brutality levelled by the state and its enforcers. 

They might have arrived at a point where pouring scorn on violent protests doesn't work so well, when everyone is being deluged with videos of the polis battering f**k out of people for no good reason. That kind of footage has been difficult to disseminate in the past. Even with Rodney King, anybody who wasn't black could still put that down to those few bad apples we hear about every single time, and dismiss the rioters as criminals and malcontents.

It's a bit trickier when you're seeing the Werthers Grandad getting his skull cracked every day. It's likely more apparent to everyone that the police have a general attitude of "do as I tell you, and do it now, or you are getting it", and that the interactions of many officers will change depending upon the race of the person they're confronted with.

I still don't think anything will change, however, but maybe over time something will happen. Unless the state manages to restrict access to cellphones with cameras of course, mwahahahaha.

15 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate tbh. I’ve saw clips of them looting or vandalising places that are affluent (too end car show rooms, designer shops etc) 

No, it's not. For all their faults, the police are still only human, and can't be everywhere at once.