Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

2) Why are the parents of 17 year olds not letting the weans outside after like 10pm?

My girls won't be allowed out after that time until they're at least 40 or have left home. Whichever comes first. I thought that was normal.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This may have been noted already 

Folk's childhood bedrooms are somehow totally preserved years after they have become an adult and moved out. Weirdly they are preserved from when the person was 10-12. So somehow the character lived in a child's room when they were a teenager, and their parents never alterted a single thing about the room.

When I first moved out (to go to uni the first time) my older brother stole my room. When I moved out the second time (technically third, but anyway was to uni the second time) my parents totally changed the room and even changed the locks on the doors and didn't tell me.

Third (technically fourth) and final time I moved out they chucked out pretty much everything (bed included) in the room and redecorated it multiple times. It's now being used as my old man's home office when he works from home.

True, but in US TV & film, everyone generally lives in virtual mansions, so it's not a big deal to seal off the occasional room to use as a shrine.

Character A has some bad news to give Character B. The viewers already know what it is so instead of hearing the conversation we watch it through a window or the glass panel in a door. When Character B's shoulders slump we know that Character A has got to the bad bit. Example: Leo telling the President that Mrs Landingham has been killed in a car crash in The West Wing.

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

True, but in US TV & film, everyone generally lives in virtual mansions, so it's not a big deal to seal off the occasional room to use as a shrine.

Aye, the first film that came to mind when reading it was American Pie.  Jim's parents don't seem that affluent (isn't his mum a housewive?) but they live in a fuck off mansion which clearly has at least 5 bedrooms in it.  So they still have 3 spare so can keep Jim's as it was.

Characters driving in a car having a conversation only to be smashed side on by another vehicle at an intersection. 

This is usually an intentional collision arranged by someone trying to get them.  The logistics and timing to do something like that on purpose are mind boggling. 

12 hours ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Characters driving in a car having a conversation only to be smashed side on by another vehicle at an intersection. 

This is usually an intentional collision arranged by someone trying to get them.  The logistics and timing to do something like that on purpose are mind boggling. 

This happened in Designated Survivor and it really fucking annoyed me because it was such lazy work from the writers. A lot of lazy work on that show right enough. The Presidents wife was killed by a drunk driver. The thing is she was in a motorcade and it's well known that the polis block the cross sections to let the motorcade through. In fact it had been shown previously on that very show a number of times. So, it would never have happened. Wee things like that annoy me.

People lost in the woods decide to walk their way out.
At some point they get excited when somebody thinks they saw something - only to discover they are right back where they started.
Worse if it's daylight hours and a clear sunny day, use the position of the sun and time off day to make sure your mostly walking in the same direction.

24 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
12 hours ago, Fullerene said:
At some point they get excited when somebody thinks they saw something - only to discover they are right back where they started.

Worse if it's daylight hours and a clear sunny day, use the position of the sun and time of day to make sure your mostly walking in the same direction.

Yup.  There is always someone who knows exactly what to do and what not to do and they are definitely not going to make such an obvious mistake until - oops - they do.

29 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
12 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Worse if it's daylight hours and a clear sunny day, use the position of the sun and time off day to make sure your mostly walking in the same direction.

Or literally just walk in a straight line, aim for a point dead ahead of you, get to it, aim for next point dead ahead

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2022 at 20:41, KnightswoodVanBear said:

In No country for old men Anton Chigurh does a lot of crimes but the  biggest one is that he drives a car but Javier Bardem doesn't have a  driving license :

1 hour ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

This usually happens on American TV shows etc but married couple lives in what appears to be a mansion, but when they have an argument, one of them have to sleep on a couch, surely there is a spare bedroom in these massive homes,

I usually get the impression that they're on the couch as "punishment". Sleeping in a comfy bed elsewhere wouldn't be considered punishment enough. In reality, it's probably just that it doesn't exactly inspire sympathy from an audience to highlight how rich the protagonists are, so the screenwriters try to make them more relatable to the plebs.

BTW, if anyone finds themselves actually forced to sleep on a couch due to a petty argument, start thinking about relocating your sleeping arrangements altogether.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/10/2022 at 18:02, Amarillo Bairn said:

This usually happens on American TV shows etc but married couple lives in what appears to be a mansion, but when they have an argument, one of them have to sleep on a couch, surely there is a spare bedroom in these massive homes,

yeh I comment on this all the time. Mansion-esque in size and scale and whenever an unexpected guest arrives, the couch becomes the only spare room/bed....