Cancel culture

Just use the pie and bovril app on your phone and you'll never have to bother with red dots again.

Aye that's me, but i do I miss the red dots. Its there a reason why it's not on the app?
Social media isn't a necessity of life. If the things you read on it make you upset and thus, your life worse, it's probably best to distance yourself from it. Asking the entire internet to be nice to each other is pissing into the wind, so you have a choice of putting up with the shite that's there or stopping reading it all together. If this was your workplace and you couldn't physically remove yourself from the "insults" or "abuse" then you'd have a point that others need to wisen up, but this is an anonymous football forum which you've signed up to by choice. If you don't like the content then it's maybe best to accept this isn't for you.
This is the only "social" site I read. Facebook and twitter have both been removed as I realised I got no enjoyment out of them. 
Pretty much this.

It's vital in life, but particularly on social media, to realise how unimportant we all are in the grand scheme of things.

Problems occur when folk take themselves too seriously. Perspective is everything in life, and some folk just aren't very good at it.

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

In their heads, rent free.

Ha! Going through my posts from 2016 I see for dotting purposes. Hopefully you will emerge as a more rounded, educated and amiable individual. :angel

As much as I'm loving the dot direction this thread has taken, this is the guy who wrote the letter.

Ec04d71XsAEAaLt.png.44055c2c87a88364cc7c0d5cca8ed26a.png

Criticising people for what you perceive to be problematic views is cancel culture and it has to stop, but express a negative opinion about a New York Times columnist I happen to agree with on some issues and I will have no choice but to kick you out of my house.

As much as I'm loving the dot direction this thread has taken, this is the guy who wrote the letter.
Ec04d71XsAEAaLt.png.44055c2c87a88364cc7c0d5cca8ed26a.png
Criticising people for what you perceive to be problematic views is cancel culture and it has to stop, but express a negative opinion about a New York Times columnist I happen to agree with on some issues and I will have no choice but to kick you out of my house.

Hypocrisy abounds in these kind of things.

Always does when it comes to everyone being their own moral arbiter as to what is or isn’t acceptable.

Just use the pie and bovril app on your phone and you'll never have to bother with red dots again.
This ^ I live in the peaceful notion that I only get greenies as I only use the app.

On 12/07/2020 at 20:26, pandarilla said:

Christ, that's a lot of bigots.

I'm guessing that as you get older, you'll realise that life doesn't quite work like that.

Lots of bad people do great things, and lots of great people do bad things. Life and people are complicated, and rarely is stuff black and white.

I've only read the last couple of pages of this thread but very much this.

I have a Facebook account I never use, no Twitter or any other social media other than P&B as in general the internet has no interest in the nuance and complexities of people. I really can't be arsed with the hysteria that comes with it.

I'm sure she has her reasons but I don't know why JK Rowling has got involved with the Trans stuff. It's an absolute minefield and one of the most incendiary internet topics out there. I don't believe she's a 'bigot' because she distinguishes women and trans women, I just question why you would feel the need to make a song and dance about it on the internet.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

I'm sure she has her reasons but I don't know why JK Rowling has got involved with the Trans stuff. It's an absolute minefield and one of the most incendiary internet topics out there. I don't believe she's a 'bigot' because she distinguishes women and trans women, I just question why you would feel the need to make a song and dance about it on the internet.

Considering how much "celebrities" spend on PR and publicists for the tiniest things, I'm amazed stuff like this still appears.

The perceived need for a publicist vs level of fame/wealth graph is definitely a normal bell curve.

I have a Facebook account I never use, no Twitter or any other social media other than P&B as in general the internet has no interest in the nuance and complexities of people. I really can't be arsed with the hysteria that comes with it.

Similar mindset to me - the way things are at the moment many of us “relying” on social media and non face to face contact more than ever, and I’m really not a fan at all, for the reasons you state.

Rose tinted glasses maybe, but everything I’ve always thought about listening to people, disagreeing/agreeing then getting on with your lives in harmony seems to be going down the toilet.

Claiming that rowling isn't a bigot is pretty incendiary on here.

Similar mindset to me - the way things are at the moment many of us “relying” on social media and non face to face contact more than ever, and I’m really not a fan at all, for the reasons you state.

Rose tinted glasses maybe, but everything I’ve always thought about listening to people, disagreeing/agreeing then getting on with your lives in harmony seems to be going down the toilet.
It does happen mate, but in real life.

Don't confuse social media with real life.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Claiming that rowling isn't a bigot is pretty incendiary on here.

She could well be. I just don't presume to know. From my limited knowledge of what she's tweeted it's not a conclusion I'd jump to.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree with this. It would equally apply to most "issues". 

(I also have a Facebook account which I've never used. P&B is my only social media. I can't understand how people get any work done judging by the amount of Twitter accounts there are and the number of posts that appear to be made. I haven't got that high an opinion of myself that I think anyone would be remotely interested in following me on Twitter.)