Cancel culture

37 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Actually, I'm a qualified historian too.

You see a rusty tin can that's on some waste ground which is half positioned in some canine excrement and has some snails domiciled there?

That's VT's house that is. He lives in that.

magnificent - not enough greenies etc...

1 hour ago, JMDP said:

Catching up on the last twenty pages of this, some interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of cancel culture tbh, it's should become like the Peep Show episode where everyone is trying to get each other sectioned. 

It is fairly obvious that most signatories to the original letter are finding it difficult when their opinions are called out and ridiculed. It's an absolute right to do this - I'm presuming the centrist "good faith" advocates believe we should always be engaging in good faith with the likes of Rowling, Toby Young, Julia Hartley-Brewer, Mike Graham, Tom Harwood, Andrew Neil and Darren Grimes now instead of them rightly being called out? 

Also good to see that VT has basically become the Owen Jones of the forum - makes a clear, salient point only for the creepy da's of the forum to all wade in and get personal. Mad that him being a qualified historian has got so many in a froth. 

I hereby exercise my absolute right to call you out on being a bit dim. 

3 hours ago, JMDP said:

Catching up on the last twenty pages of this, some interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of cancel culture tbh, it's should become like the Peep Show episode where everyone is trying to get each other sectioned. 

It is fairly obvious that most signatories to the original letter are finding it difficult when their opinions are called out and ridiculed. It's an absolute right to do this - I'm presuming the centrist "good faith" advocates believe we should always be engaging in good faith with the likes of Rowling, Toby Young, Julia Hartley-Brewer, Mike Graham, Tom Harwood, Andrew Neil and Darren Grimes now instead of them rightly being called out? 

Also good to see that VT has basically become the Owen Jones of the forum - makes a clear, salient point only for the creepy da's of the forum to all wade in and get personal. Mad that him being a qualified historian has got so many in a froth. 

Man, 8 mile really didn't like this post.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Actually, I'm a qualified historian too.

You see a rusty tin can that's on some waste ground which is half positioned in some canine excrement and has some snails domiciled there?

That's VT's house that is. He lives in that.

My toes curled so much reading that, they just about hit my shins. Rancid patter. 

Not at all surprised to see creepy da's such as the above, corpolite, Herman, topcat and 14mile/Tony wade in with nothing of substance. Interested to hear your actual takes on cancel culture lads, what's your thoughts on it? 

My toes curled so much reading that, they just about hit my shins. Rancid patter. 
Not at all surprised to see creepy da's such as the above, corpolite, Herman, topcat and 14mile/Tony wade in with nothing of substance. Interested to hear your actual takes on cancel culture lads, what's your thoughts on it? 

I take it you just didn’t get the joke?

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Man, 8 mile really didn't like this post.

He spent a good spell of time operating as a dotting account plus alias, but regardless of that, it was just another  dreadful post from an absolutely desperate individual. 

2 hours ago, JMDP said:

My toes have curled the other way and nearly tipped me on my face several times at your recent m.o. of trying to snuggle-up to whomever I have a difference of opinion with on the day. 

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm under the age of 30, am I allowed to say that reading "qualified historian" actually made me cringe?

Don’t care if I’m allowed to say this or not but I’m under the age of 40 and it actually made me cringe.

48 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

He spent a good spell of time operating as a dotting account plus alias, but regardless of that, it was just another  dreadful post from an absolutely desperate individual. 

My toes have curled the other way and nearly tipped me on my face several times at your recent m.o. of trying to snuggle-up to whomever I have a difference of opinion with on the day. 

Don’t care if I’m allowed to say this or not but I’m under the age of 40 and it actually made me cringe.

You have a good night ma man

On 19/07/2020 at 19:11, ali_91 said:

Care to expand on why thinking holocaust denial isn’t a right makes me an idiot? Or you just happy to insult but not engage? 

My objection is to your reductive framing of Chomsky's position and your opinion that any counter view on whether holocaust denial ought to be criminalised is 'absurd'. I don't think that your view is idiotic, in fact it may be justified particularly since the way in which people exchange information has evolved. I don't even think that you're an idiot but it seems fair game to say it considering the way the discussion has been conducted on your side.

There are plenty of respectable intellectuals having this debate without expressed moral outrage smothering the discourse. What is Deborah Lipstadt's take on the matter do you know? 

Is criminalization even effective? Holocaust denial is completely discredited here, it's barely touched upon as a topic in mainstream media yet in France it's commonly on the news making martyrs of its proponants. The idea that it's ongoing legality will suddenly challenge the truthful facts of the holocaust is debateable. The rise of anti semitism is more complicated than that. Dedicating more learning time to explain to young people In schools why understanding the holocaust and anti semitism is important needs to be a primary focus. 

Should this criminalization apply only to the Shoah? The New York Review recently underestimated the genocide of Native Americans by a factor of 50 but this went almost entirely unnoticed such is the lack of awareness of that atrocity. I'm aware of the motives of holocaust deniers and that the event has been meticulously recorded in the modern era so the comparison is not direct however there is a complexity to the management of the matter which needs to be considered.

54 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

What's my alias? Or was my alias? You've tried this line a few times but never explained it. Tbf, at least it isnt as extreme a lie as the ones you've peddled using "Tony" and "The Watcher". 

The fact that you think anyone "snuggles up" on a football website is another weird insight into your mindset. 

After all this and your obsession over where I live, I'm definitely going to be adding an extra lock to the door tbh. 

On the qualified historian patter, I guess all the da's on here get as uptight about people calling themselves qualified teachers, nurses, etc? 

The concept of ‘operating as a dotting account’.

Not sure if: image.png.5e8e78a3e25d7f8cd231d3d6556b0fed.png

Or: 9E0C04A6-1026-4A1B-ABD7-1D911B5CB8ED.png.316b0661abdb0fafec1efb56408dbfcc.png

Just find it a bit mental that middle-aged men are spending their time setting up additional accounts to get one over on people on a football forum by hitting them with additional red dots.