Cancel culture

Internet bullying. Let's call it for what it is. It goes on here every single day from the same obsessive individuals.
I don't feel like it's bullying, from my experience anyway.

But it's certainly frustrating, and makes you defensive. I prefer debates that take place in good faith, where folk aren't trying to find ways to trip you up in order to 'win the argument'. It's a constant stream of point scoring and snidey comebacks.

Discussions on sensitive topics can be difficult to navigate in real life, even with family or close friends, so it's not surprising it's even more difficult with strangers and no face to face consequences for your words.

1 hour ago, chocolateankles said:

Internet bullying. Let's call it for what it is. It goes on here every single day from the same obsessive individuals.

I'm struggling to think of many examples of bullying but maybe I'm less sensitive than some.

The same auld brain dead posters using the same brain dead tropes against those they disagree with?  Aye, that's very much a daily occurance.  Having a good pitchforking on a near weekly basis?  Again, pretty-much the forum's culture.

Bullying, though?  Nah.

I think that people like to fit in with whatever group they want to associate with and at times this will shut down a topic through being unnecessarily harsh or unfair while ignoring the topic simply to fit in.
Thats the majority of forum or online bullying thats anonymous. Small percentage is actually people going out of their way to be nasty to one individual on a regular basis.

Its completely counter productive and toxic and hard to moderate once it becomes accepted as the norm. When pointed out it gets played down as banter or just a joke or that the other person was too sensitive.
Who will stick their hand up and admit to being a dick? That takes character and strength and if you abuse strangers for kicks then you likely don't possess those qualities in the first place.

This isn't a go at this site, despite what some may think reading this.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Hahahaha the Guardian just sacked a load of folk and this is published

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jul/21/what-have-we-learned-from-bari-weiss-we-need-plurality-in-journalism

They really are the biggest bunch of wet wipes going

"She hasn't been censored, but she has certainly been bullied." If this is the case, and she truly believes this, surely she should be suing for some form of constructive dismissal? Because when she antagonises and belittles her colleagues as some sort of hive mind that's fine, but when they don't support her in return it is bullying. This is obvious and sane to all people.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

It's quite meta really. Next week she'll write about how the Twitter mob tore her limb from limb for calling the racist Andrew Sullivan 'revered'. Once you're in that loop of write bad take, write about getting owned online the following week, you're set for life.

The Nick Cohen effect 

Have we reached 'people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about something someone said'?

Or are we still at 'people complaining about people complaining about something someone said'?

11 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Have we reached 'people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about something someone said'?

Or are we still at 'people complaining about people complaining about something someone said'?

We got side tracked with a discussion about whether it's OK to defend people's right to defend people's right to defend people's right to deny the holocaust

Personally I'm not one of those people that defend people's right to defend people's right to defend people's right to deny the holocaust

But I do defend their right to do so

We got side tracked with a discussion about whether it's OK to defend people's right to defend people's right to defend people's right to deny the holocaust
Personally I'm not one of those people that defend people's right to defend people's right to defend people's right to deny the holocaust
But I do defend their right to do so
I'll defend your right to post this topcat.

20 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You're a disgraceful bigot IMO. And I'm sure that my saying so has just saved lives.

11 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

It's almost like they're all as bad as each other

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not at all. The intellectual rigour behind an Ainsley Harriott meme was all it took to convince me. 

Who can forget the way that A.J.P Taylor summarised the underlying problems with the Versailles treaty using a cartoon of Fanny Cradock

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)