WoSFL Premier Division thread

1 hour ago, To B or not B said:

I assume the referee is not medically trained, therefore he was not to know the severity or otherwise of the incident, so he has probably taken the safe route to allow the victim to receive the treatment he needed, without any hinderance.

Spot on-from what I saw the fan involved seemed to come round but then passed out a second time so there is no way the referee could have assumed all was ok and have proceeded regardless 

On 10/09/2024 at 19:28, paul-r-cfc said:

83 minutes, not 93. Consider a water break, subs, time around the red card and general stoppage and you are looking at over ten minutes still to play.

Dunno anywhere that you can get a medical professional to attend an emergency within ten minutes.

The physios responsible for ensuring adequate supervision for players are out of commission during said medical emergency so therefore no cover is available for players. That's before mentioning the medically trained assistant referee who was also away from the park.

You mention common sense, but in my eyes, common sense is that you prioritise the elderly gentleman who has collapsed, with football secondary to his wellbeing.

The whole post from Paul is sound but the bold part alone make the game unable to continue.
If you also add that its an elderly gentleman who is in serious need of attention I think every perosn in the stand would understand, some not happy but they would understand.

I know it's all what if's and buts based on what could have happened but say the referee decided to start the game again on the basis that he thinks the guy is in full recovery mode and then the guy had a relapse and lost his life in front of 22 guys kicking a ball about a football field then the ref would be all the heartless arseholes under the sun - football took priority etc etc etc . 

Yes in hindsight the fan pulled through but surely his welfare is more important than 3 points for cumnock and their staff members on ' X ' with their comments leave a lot to be desired .

10 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

As often critical of the WoS committee as I am, I think ultimately they were put in a lose-lose situation. Declare the result and have Pollok up in arms, replay the game and have Cumnock up in arms. 

Perhaps better guidance to the referees over what action to take in similar situation where something isn't directly effecting the game being played. 

While the main thing is the fan is ok, should the game have been stopped, I understand it if it was an on field or coach issue i.e. player getting serious injury then to me that is different. 

What was stopping the ref once it became apparent that the fan was ok restarting the game. 

I still think Maxi had an influence on the decision his team was down to team men and down a goal. He is a manager no doubt under pressure. That said it would be interested to hear what the Cumnock manager had said to the referee at the time, did he approve this etc...perhaps assuming Cumnock would have been awarded the tie. 

I assume you were not at the game.

Firstly, a man collapsed on the side of the park, that for supporters around them was distressing due to their concern for the gentleman’s welfare.

What happened was then a frantic attempt to draw attention to the players and officials to get medical attention. 
Rightly the game was stopped.

The man seemed to recover, to then take ill again, the attempt to get help happened again.

As posted already, the linesman then offered medical support.

I am sure the officials had headsets on, so able to communicate what the situation was. 

Would love to know how you think Maxi influenced the decision ?

As for swift, well his statement on twitter sums up his reaction walking off.

Partially walking to the barrier to then throw a strop as the gentleman had came round and the game was called off. Zero care for the individual. I would suggest from that reaction and his twitter posts it’s not Maxi the one who is under pressure. 

1 hour ago, superpollok said:

Firstly, a man collapsed on the side of the park, that for supporters around them was distressing due to their concern for the gentleman’s welfare.

What happened was then a frantic attempt to draw attention to the players and officials to get medical attention. 

The man seemed to recover, to then take ill again, the attempt to get help happened again.

I am sure the officials had headsets on, so able to communicate what the situation was. 

Partially walking to the barrier to then throw a strop as the gentleman had came round and the game was called off. Zero care for the individual. I would suggest from that reaction and his twitter posts it’s not Maxi the one who is under pressure. 

I would be almost 100 percent certain that tucker of Talbot would never ever behave like that when a guy is unwell on the terraces and that's the difference between the very best in the business and what you witnessed.

49 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I would be almost 100 percent certain that tucker of Talbot would never ever behave like that when a guy is unwell on the terraces and that's the difference between the very best in the business and what you witnessed.

Not just Tucker.

A few seasons ago at Kilwinning v Pollok game a Pollok fan took ill that day and the game was stopped. Thankfully that person also came round and in that instance the game continued.

One of the first people over when that happened and remained for a period of time to check on the gentleman was Chris Strain. 

23 hours ago, glensmad said:

WoSFL League Championship rule no. 84 - "Where the Management Committee determine that an abandoned league fixture should be replayed, the gate receipts from the replayed fixture shall be divided equally between both clubs after the deduction of the match officials expenses."

I guess then in the case above it had been agreed between both clubs.

11 hours ago, superpollok said:

I have no doubt swifty is under pressure as well, Cumnock had an overhaul in the summer and weren't shy in spending money with some players reported to be on big money. Cumnock have a track record of pulling the trigger on the manager. He is in a position now where he needs wins. 

That said I do believe Maxi is under mounting pressure and rightfully so. 

8 hours ago, leaguereformer said:

I have no doubt swifty is under pressure as well, Cumnock had an overhaul in the summer and weren't shy in spending money with some players reported to be on big money. Cumnock have a track record of pulling the trigger on the manager. He is in a position now where he needs wins. 

That said I do believe Maxi is under mounting pressure and rightfully so. 

Vast majority of Pollok fans appreciate Maxi is under no pressure. Massive cut in the budget amidst issues in the background. If we walked we’d be in trouble. 

4 hours ago, PollokGang said:

Vast majority of Pollok fans appreciate Maxi is under no pressure. Massive cut in the budget amidst issues in the background. If we walked we’d be in trouble. 

Aye it's not like there's a big manager cupboard you can go and pick one from. Doesn't seem to be a level playing field financially so clubs need to be realistic.

11 hours ago, allyg1977 said:

See Glenafton manager has gone that's 4 managers in what 2 years that's not stable for any club surely 

Cumnock are the same, must be something in the water. 

Unsure who I see filling this post. 

McInally would be a good choice however he normally likes a team with money to spend. Could Craig McEwan step back in or is he happy as an assistant now? Other than those two I am not seeing any obvious candidates. 

Glenafton has a history of giving untried, new managers the opportunity to prove themselves, some of them work ( Henderson McEwan) some of them don't (more recent ones). 

Wouldnt be surprised if a similar appointment was made.

1 hour ago, leaguereformer said:

Cumnock are the same, must be something in the water. 

Unsure who I see filling this post. 

McInally would be a good choice however he normally likes a team with money to spend. Could Craig McEwan step back in or is he happy as an assistant now? Other than those two I am not seeing any obvious candidates. 

13 hours ago, allyg1977 said:

See Glenafton manager has gone that's 4 managers in what 2 years that's not stable for any club surely 

This is a red flag. The recruitment process is seriously flawed and any decent manager must look at it and have serious reservations. The committee also need to look at themselves with that kind of turnover. We've had 3 managers in 21 years - you need to give people time and backing ( not just financial)  to build their team ... an average of 6 months is not enough. 

12 minutes ago, clansman said:

Would have thought that someone like Darren Henderson who appears to be working with diminishing year on year resources at Hurlford as they slip down the league might be tempted away by someone.

Unsure if situation much different at the Glens both have had good backers in years gone by however although they are still supporting the club they are not to the same extent.

Typically Glens go for an ex senior player as a manager.