Conspiracy Theories

22 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I spoke to a French lass last night who told me she doesn't eat spinach because the government puts nanobots in them. Anyone heard of this? I'm keeping clear for the meantime just in case.

If you're a fan of the right-wing papers, you don't need as specific a reason as that to keep clear of the French. 

I feel I might know the answer to this already, but what does Nicole Kidman being a follower of Kabbalah have to do with eating bugs?

Steve, do you see a lot of mentions of Judaism on your Twitter timeline?

12 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely if it was a conspiracy they wouldn't announce openly on the packaging that they are made of insects/bugs or am I missing something?

I suppose it might be something along the lines of 'well, if they're owning up to putting bugs in the food, just imagine what they're not telling us about!' 

6 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I suppose it might be something along the lines of 'well, if they're owning up to putting bugs in the food, just imagine what they're not telling us about!' 

You've officially put more thought into this than Steve did.

15 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

It'll be horse again, won't it? 

Amidst all the revulsion about horse meat being in lasagnes, it was pretty funny how the only genuine problem was that it wasn't labelled as such. Absolutely nobody was complaining that Findus' frozen range suddenly tasted shite.

Probably because they'd always tasted shite, but you get my point; apparently horse meat tastes absolutely fine.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't get the difference between eating prawns or locusts.

Prawn

330px-Penaeus_monodon.jpg

Locust

image.png.be8f8316add6e04b313fdd4d6eb74a0e.png

The only problem I have and difference I see is that with a prawn, you can shell it and cut it remove the black line, call it the intestines / shit-track and clean it.

As far as II know this is still not possible locusts, ants, termites and other insects you may eat. So you getting the whole lot, its last meal in its stomach, and whatever else is below that in its bowel system that hadn't yet hit its arse and disappeared.

It just a matter of the cleaning and processing of all these insects I remain unsure of. And I am aware the Govt are still trying to write farming and hygiene requirements for breeding and selling insects for human consumption in Scotland / the UK.

7 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

As far as II know this is still not possible locusts, ants, termites and other insects you may eat. So you getting the whole lot, its last meal in its stomach, and whatever else is below that in its bowel system that hadn't yet hit its arse and disappeared.

From the (very little) I know about insects they don't have a stomach and are very big on water conservation so their waste product doesn't stay in their system that long. Whatever they do eat is very quickly metabolised and deposited so if you were to eat an ant it would probably be free of any food waste anyway.

This might be different for bigger insects and arthropods and have no idea how this differs to marine arthropods like crustaceans. 

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

The only problem I have and difference I see is that with a prawn, you can shell it and cut it remove the black line, call it the intestines / shit-track and clean it.

It just a matter of the cleaning and processing of all these insects I remain unsure of. And I am aware the Govt are still trying to write farming and hygiene requirements for breeding and selling insects for human consumption in Scotland / the UK.

What I was told the French do with snails is feed them on flour until their innards are flushed out.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, Crazy Days said:

Was taken to a night market in Cambodia a few years ago and sampled quite a few insects, amongst other stuff. Once you get your head round what you are eating some of them were not too bad.

IMG_0064.JPG

I read a book about tropical diseases such as Ebola and Marburg.  Virologists are experts at what make you sick.  They are also experts at what will not make you sick.  They were happy to eat all sorts of disgusting things, especially insects and termites were their favourite.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Amidst all the revulsion about horse meat being in lasagnes, it was pretty funny how the only genuine problem was that it wasn't labelled as such. Absolutely nobody was complaining that Findus' frozen range suddenly tasted shite.

Probably because they'd always tasted shite, but you get my point; apparently horse meat tastes absolutely fine.

Tastes braw. During an educational sojourn in Paris in the 80's, I was introduced to the Boucherie Chevaline.

No emotional qualms at all about scoffing Shergarburgers.

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I don't think horse meat tasting fine was ever in doubt, was it?

I've been presuming that people were assuming that horse tasted bad; most of the shock seemed to be about more than just perfectly edible meat being mislabelled. Bit depressing to think it might have been because people are OK with eating cows, pigs, and lambs, but draw the line at the pretty ponies because they think they're cuter.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've been presuming that people were assuming that horse tasted bad; most of the shock seemed to be about more than just perfectly edible meat being mislabelled. Bit depressing to think it might have been because people are OK with eating cows, pigs, and lambs, but draw the line at the pretty ponies because they think they're cuter.

Lambs are clearly cuter than many other meats that people here refuse to eat.