Mighty Montrose FC Thread

Quality win last night against a decent Stirling team,we need to sort out our home form starting off with Edinburgh and Kelty we need 6points from here if you ask me.

6 hours ago, mo83 said:

Quality win last night against a decent Stirling team,we need to sort out our home form starting off with Edinburgh and Kelty we need 6points from here if you ask me.

Totally agree. Away form is excellent. We haven't lost away from home in the league since mid November and only lost 3 games so far, to the 3 teams above us and all by 1 goal. Home form, on the other hand, is woeful. We haven't won a league game at home since the 7th of October and that was a last gasp winner against Alloa. 

Does our style of play suit Away games where maybe the home team open up a bit more and we can exploit them.

Our next 2 games are at home and we really need to win them to keep the others at bay and to have a realistic push for the play offs. 

I hope SP is busy scouring the loan market because the squad is looking a bit stretched just now. We'll need a stronger squad if the play offs are our target.

Would have been nice to have Cammy F back, but it's our backline that's maybe needing another body right now.

Great result last night, but really need to start banking wins at LP or we'll be on the wrong side of the play-off line.

3 hours ago, Brummo said:

Any prospect of getting other loan players? Is Miller T. definitely out of the picture?

Am not sure what the script is with anyone else coming in to be honest.Was told their is no funds i.e we aren't skint but just don't have money for loans at the minute,not sure how true that is but it makes sense with all the young lads on the bench.

On the young lads it's great to see them on the bench and playing their part but I can't help but think we need 1-2 really good loans in if we were to make the play offs.On the other hand a suppose you could say we are doing just fine 3rd in the league and a mix of experience and youngsters,it's a hard one but I would like to see us strengthen a bit more for a right good shot at the play offs if we're to make it into the top 4.

14 hours ago, mo83 said:

Am not sure what the script is with anyone else coming in to be honest.Was told their is no funds i.e we aren't skint but just don't have money for loans at the minute,not sure how true that is but it makes sense with all the young lads on the bench.

On the young lads it's great to see them on the bench and playing their part but I can't help but think we need 1-2 really good loans in if we were to make the play offs.On the other hand a suppose you could say we are doing just fine 3rd in the league and a mix of experience and youngsters,it's a hard one but I would like to see us strengthen a bit more for a right good shot at the play offs if we're to make it into the top 4.

I am not sure how it works but in some ways it does make sense that we develop our own talent ourselves rather than just farming them out to other clubs to do it.

Last season we were really stung by over-reliance on loan players who didn't return after New Year. The remainder of the season was a struggle and it seemed like we were riding on the coat-tails of a decent campaign up till that point to get us over the line but miss out on the play off spots for the first time since promotion.

Hopefully Stewart has got the balance right this time round but Miller Thomson was definitely a flair player who made a positive contribution to our options up front.

It would be great if what we gain from giving our own young players more opportunities at the club outweighs the benefit of doing bigger clubs a favour by paying them to develop their players for them. Even if in theory, it is a win - win, it isn't a relationship of equals when they pull their loanees and leave us high and dry for the rest of the league campaign.

I can well understand why Stewart would want to avoid getting burned like that again.

4 hours ago, Brummo said:

I am not sure how it works but in some ways it does make sense that we develop our own talent ourselves rather than just farming them out to other clubs to do it.

Last season we were really stung by over-reliance on loan players who didn't return after New Year. The remainder of the season was a struggle and it seemed like we were riding on the coat-tails of a decent campaign up till that point to get us over the line but miss out on the play off spots for the first time since promotion.

Hopefully Stewart has got the balance right this time round but Miller Thomson was definitely a flair player who made a positive contribution to our options up front.

It would be great if what we gain from giving our own young players more opportunities at the club outweighs the benefit of doing bigger clubs a favour by paying them to develop their players for them. Even if in theory, it is a win - win, it isn't a relationship of equals when they pull their loanees and leave us high and dry for the rest of the league campaign.

I can well understand why Stewart would want to avoid getting burned like that again.

Would have liked to have Seen Miller Thompson back for the second half of the season but can't see it unfortunately.On Saturday we did have a decent enough bench with a few coming back from injury/suspension etc.

When does the window actually close? 

7 hours ago, mo83 said:

Would have liked to have Seen Miller Thompson back for the second half of the season but can't see it unfortunately.On Saturday we did have a decent enough bench with a few coming back from injury/suspension etc.

When does the window actually close? 

If my memory serves me right, according to  Radio Scotland, for loan players, it's the end of this month but I'm not enough of an anorak to know for sure.

the loan window is open until the end of February.

I don't think getting Miller back would be out of the question, he hasn't featured in the Dundee United squads since returning to them.  I guess in any loan deal it'll all depend on how much of a wage contribution we are expected to make

21 minutes ago, broomiesniper said:

the loan window is open until the end of February.

I don't think getting Miller back would be out of the question, he hasn't featured in the Dundee United squads since returning to them.  I guess in any loan deal it'll all depend on how much of a wage contribution we are expected to make

When he went back he was injured, so I think that explains his absence from match day squads or him not being loaned out yet but my feeling is that we are not going to bring anybody in until the summer.

Noticed Miller was an unused sub against Ayr can't see anything else to see that he  was in any other squad so maybe just coming back from injury now,be interesting to see if he in the squad Friday night.

I can't see us bringing in anyone now either to be fair which is a shame and I think by the end of the season it might just catch up on us.

On 14/02/2024 at 12:28, mo83 said:

Noticed Miller was an unused sub against Ayr can't see anything else to see that he  was in any other squad so maybe just coming back from injury now,be interesting to see if he in the squad Friday night.

I can't see us bringing in anyone now either to be fair which is a shame and I think by the end of the season it might just catch up on us.

See Thomson came on as a sub in dying minutes of Raith game.

6 hours ago, Brummo said:

See Thomson came on as a sub in dying minutes of Raith game.

Yeah am not sure if he even touched the ball but hey ho a think that ship has sailed now,best of luck to the lad.

6 hours ago, mo83 said:

Yeah am not sure if he even touched the ball but hey ho a think that ship has sailed now,best of luck to the lad.

Yes, Mochrie was playing too. Another talented player we had on loan.

I look back fondly on the days when Montrose made money by bringing on players and selling them to bigger clubs, like we did with Gary Murray to Hibs but the Bosman ruling killed that. I think we have received some money from Martin Boyle's success since leaving us.

Loan players at Montrose have been a very mixed bag. They're a feature of the game at every level, so we ought to try to reap some benefit from them.

It is a sickener when you do get a good one but they only feature for a few months before being called back, as has happened with Miller Thomson. I also think that they're taking up space in the team to the exclusion of the club's own up and coming players.

We want to field a competitive team on match days and this will likely involve some loan players but I reckon Stewart Petrie is right not to overly rely on them.

It would be great if some of them would sign for us at some point following a loan spell but if they're good and ambitious enough they aren't likely to want to sign for a part-time team. I would love to be proved wrong about this though.