COVID-19 In Scottish Football

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Mainland Scotland returning to pretty much full lockdown as of tomorrow. Season in doubt again? Or will football be given an exemption?

There was no mention of football or 'elite sport' so it appears things are staying as they are, with lower league clubs travelling all over Scotland without being tested.

Ridiculous if you ask me. Suspend the lower leagues and make the Premiership a closed shop until at least 2022, when hopefully this pandemic is well and truly a thing of the past.

5 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

There was no mention of football or 'elite sport' so it appears things are staying as they are, with lower league clubs travelling all over Scotland without being tested.

Ridiculous if you ask me. Suspend the lower leagues and make the Premiership a closed shop until at least 2022, when hopefully this pandemic is well and truly a thing of the past.

Now is the time for reconstruction imo.

Guest TheJTS98

Back in the discussion about what to do at the end of last season I mentioned that one of the reasons to apply extraordinary measures to the end of the season in terms of structural adjustment was the very real possibility of the virus causing the 20/21 season to be finished in a manner causing no promotion and relegation.

I remember quite a few posters dismissing this as hysterical. Yet, doesn't look so unlikely anymore.

Edited by TheJTS98

3 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Back in the discussion about what to do at the end of last season I mentioned that one of the reasons to apply extraordinary measures to the end of the season in terms of structural adjustment was the very real possibility of the virus causing the 20/21 season to be finished in a manner causing no promotion and relegation.

I remember quite a few posters dismissing this as hysterical. Yet, doesn't look so unlikely anymore.

Throw enough shit and some will stick.

Following the First Minister’s announcement regarding increased restrictions this afternoon, we will liaise with @ScotGov on the impact upon grassroots football. We will a provide further update after further liaison with Peter Lawwell. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Are the lower leagues still exempt from testing? Seems quite hard to justify.

When Johnston tested positive in October, it emerged that QoS were testing weekly. Not sure if that applies to all lower league clubs, though.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Following the First Minister’s announcement regarding increased restrictions this afternoon, we will liaise with @ScotGov on the impact upon grassroots football. We will a provide further update after further liaison with Peter Lawwell. 

Presumably that’ll be via a zoom call to Dubai then

1 hour ago, TheJTS98 said:

Yes it does. We've been told this is the most concerning time of the pandemic since March yet football has been told it can continue.

What will it actually take to stop the season finishing now?

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes it does. We've been told this is the most concerning time of the pandemic since March yet football has been told it can continue.

What will it actually take to stop the season finishing now?

Football can continue for now.

Neither you nor I know how long that will last. And we all know the Premiership sides will seize on any opportunity to cancel relegation.

It's certainly not an unimaginable situation. It never was.

I've never claimed this is an inevitability. But it's certainly a possibility. Certainly easy to imagine a scenario where part-time teams become an issue.

Edited by TheJTS98

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

What change would cause the season to be halted?

A change in the government's view of whether it should continue or not. Like anything else.

And playing in a league with part-time teams makes that risk higher than playing in a league with only full-time teams. I don't think anyone seriously questions that.