EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

I got the impression he was checking for a red card, rather than for the penalty.

Absolutely, he gives himself the opportunity to check for the foul to award the pen, and in deciding so, then re-checks to judge if it’s worthy of a 2nd yellow (or clearly stopping a goal scoring opportunity?) to produce the Red Card. He studies the monitor twice and on each occasion (even with the slowed-down action reply) still doesn’t reach the conclusion that everyone seems to agree with, that the player wasn’t fouled but blatantly dives as soon as he’s inside the box. It’s a nonsense, he gets BOTH decisions wrong despite the aid of a pitch side review.

This technology was supposed to eradicate result changing errors of judgement such as this. It’s doing nothing of the sort. I really hope that the use of VAR is never introduced into the Scottish game or certainly the way it is currently being deployed in the EPL.

The BBC league table had given today's points to Man United already. They're 3rd as it stands - above Ancelotti's Everton and Mourinho's Spurs.
If they win their game in hand, they'll be 2nd above Leicester. That much better than most pundits and OGS's critics had predicted.
The BBC league tables are updated live as the matches are played, that's why they had the points.

The point however stands that they could be 2 points behind Liverpool if they win their game in hand, when they're apparently complete shite. Go figure.

Am I missing something? This was given offside based on the wee daft lines with the defender closest to Maddison? Surely Aurier is playing him on?

ETA, now I looks again maybe I can see why, but surely that's a perfect illustration of how terrible VAR is

Capture.PNG

Edited by Bairnardo

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Am I missing something? This was given offside based on the wee daft lines with the defender closest to Maddison? Surely Aurier is playing him on?

ETA, now I looks again maybe I can see why, but surely that's a perfect illustration of how terrible VAR is

Capture.PNG

Also complete pish because from the freeze frame you can see it looks like it’s after ball has left foot.

It’s incredible that no one involved in VAR has considered the margin for error in having a human being trying to guess the precise moment the ball is played.

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Also complete pish because from the freeze frame you can see it looks like it’s after ball has left foot.

It’s incredible that no one involved in VAR has considered the margin for error in having a human being trying to guess the precise moment the ball is played.

Pre VAR, they play multiple replays of that and not one single pundit or viewer says its offside. Guaranteed.

40 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The pundits have largely stopped criticizing it and pouring over each decision it gets wrong.

It’s terrible but they won’t get rid of it.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Pre VAR, they play multiple replays of that and not one single pundit or viewer says its offside. Guaranteed.

Yep.

I've felt for a while that VAR should be used for offsides, but take away the lines and just let the VAR official just say if he thinks it's offside or not after a couple of replays.

12 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

The BBC league tables are updated live as the matches are played, that's why they had the points.

The point however stands that they could be 2 points behind Liverpool if they win their game in hand, when they're apparently complete shite. Go figure.

That's the as it stands table. Stupid way of doing it.

It happens in leagues all the time, some team is Barcelona 2010 and a team who are 'in crisis' and about to free fall to the Vauxhall Conference are a point behind them.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Jesus, some real Scott Steiner-levels of stats use by Mikel Arteta today.

IMG_20201221_145655.jpg.649b7a65e036b32b48a943002742dbbc.jpg

Where has he picked up those percentages from? I'd really like to know that. That sort of ranting and raving is right up there with McGhee saying "Go and look me up on Wikipedia. I've got a track record".