St Mirren v Ross county 22/08/2020

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

He's not been played up front that much, often being pinned out wide. I still think there's goals in him. I was reading the other day the comments from Dobbie about Lyndon Dykes, and some of the advice he gave him early in his career. I kinda feel like Morias could do with that kind of influence on his game. 

Junior is a trier and works hard. At 25 if he has not been prolific I cant see that changing. However with more competition for places up front could that be the catalyst to drive him but I have my doubts.  

Maybe some Buddies missed this interesting article recently ...  https://ttpo.substack.com/p/why-st-mirrens-latest-signing-could

Last season we created more chances than Aberdeen who finished fourth. Our problem was not in creating chances but taking them. I can't remember how many games I left feeling disappointed at easy chances we managed to screw up (and not all from Junior admittedly - Jon is also a culprit). If all the draws we had turned into even a single goal victory we would not have been at the nether regions of the League. Junior played 31 League games last season yet only scored 2 goals in a team that was creating many chances. So much for the 'once he is off the mark' philosophy as it took him 13 games to score his first, his second 4 games later then zilch for 14 games. This season he appears to have continued where he left off missing easy chances.

I like his workrate and commitment however when the team is making loads of chances we cannot afford to have a forward who can't score. He panics when he gets a chance then stops playing for a minute afterwards while he has a wee meltdown expressing his frustration which maybe demonstrates where his head is at. Maybe meditation will help but at the moment I see no sign of his mis-firing changing to goal scoring.

Apparently he is great in training but when the pressure is on he can't handle it. We need a coach for his thinking and not his footballing.

10 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Maybe some Buddies missed this interesting article recently ...  https://ttpo.substack.com/p/why-st-mirrens-latest-signing-could

Last season we created more chances than Aberdeen who finished fourth. Our problem was not in creating chances but taking them. I can't remember how many games I left feeling disappointed at easy chances we managed to screw up (and not all from Junior admittedly - Jon is also a culprit). If all the draws we had turned into even a single goal victory we would not have been at the nether regions of the League. Junior played 31 League games last season yet only scored 2 goals in a team that was creating many chances. So much for the 'once he is off the mark' philosophy as it took him 13 games to score his first, his second 4 games later then zilch for 14 games. This season he appears to have continued where he left off missing easy chances.

I like his workrate and commitment however when the team is making loads of chances we cannot afford to have a forward who can't score. He panics when he gets a chance then stops playing for a minute afterwards while he has a wee meltdown expressing his frustration which maybe demonstrates where his head is at. Maybe meditation will help but at the moment I see no sign of his mis-firing changing to goal scoring.

Apparently he is great in training but when the pressure is on he can't handle it. We need a coach for his thinking and not his footballing.

he needs a valium before he starts  and I need one after.

Edited by jaybeee
to eager tp press button

JG has stated that he wants to be more attacking this season. He'll start today, with McCarthy in , Sheron out, and Foley into midfield.

The Menace said that he's only really trained once with the team. If he's shown JG that he's fit enough to start, he will start in place of Morias, as I'm sure JG will see him as part of his best first XI.

It would be *very St Mirren* to lose this, and indeed I won’t be too surprised if we did.

However, there is a backbone and effective nastiness to us now that had always been lacking pre Goodwin. We have beautifully shit housed our way to six points and two clean sheets so far and there’s no reason we can’t do it again here. It will certainly be another tight one with the odd goal in it either way.

If there’s a winner one of us will be be third (assuming United don’t beat Celtic) going into game week six. Fantastic stuff for either side.

I think we will grind out our fourth 1-0 win in our last five games. I’ll be at 30,000 feet for the whole game, hoping to land in Europe to find us in the heady heights of the European spots [emoji1316]

43 minutes ago, Lex said:

However, there is a backbone and effective nastiness to us now that had always been lacking pre Goodwin. We have beautifully shit housed our way to six points and two clean sheets so far and there’s no reason we can’t do it again here. It will certainly be another tight one with the odd goal in it either way.

This.

I really hope that this reflects a fundamental change in the mentality with which we approach league games this year. Setting out with the aim of winning as opposed to "not losing" could make our season. 

Pretty sure County WILL score today, not sure but hopefully of a win though. 

I can see Doohan getting a start, maybe harsh on Laidlaw but he was beaten at his near post last week and Doohan hasn't had an opportunity yet. 

Hopefully Paton starts again he's so important to our attacking drive.