Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

In that last WC campaign we drew at home with Lithuania, got humped away in Slovakia and England, then turned the campaign round with a few wins, then drew with Slovenia away and missed out. It didn’t seem that glorious too me, but it was close and the team was decent enough to watch towards the end.

Being a Scotland fan is debating shades of failure. Maybe we could come up with a scale from Glorious to Abject?

The home draw with English certainly qualified for gloriously failing

13 minutes ago, Binos said:

The home draw with English certainly qualified for gloriously failing

True, but it had looked like petering our for a narrow and uneventful away win anyway before those two free kicks. The late equaliser was a kick in the nads though.

18 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

By 'honking', I was referring to how awful Greece were to watch. They obviously had decent players, albeit nowhere near good enough to win the tournament without shitfesting.

Absolutely wanted them to win by the time they got going, however. The games were eyerape, but it was quality to see the press and commentary teams whining about the "anti-football" team getting the best of their favourites. Reminded me of Wimbledon during the Eighties, who were utterly detested for managing to hack (literally) the tactics being used by the big boys.

It was fuckin beautiful to watch Ronaldo crying in the final.  He's been a p***k since day one.

22 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Possibly McTominay, Cooper, Tierney as our back three. 

Cooper gives a bit of experience over McKenna which is important too. 

McKenna has 16 caps and has captained Scotland. He also has double figure appearances in European competitions.

Cooper has 4 caps.

21 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It wasn't exactly a typical feature in bygone years either.

Attaching glory to our failures is self serving and has only rarely been fitting.  It is part of a "Wha's like us?" narrative that is mythical, based on a daft notion of exceptionalism, and ultimately does us no favours.

Hm, got me wondering about genuine glorious failures.

First of all, there are no glorious failures against weaker teams.

The 08 campaign itself wasn't a glorious failure, because of that bloody Georgia game, but the Italy match was. We played with courage and energy and deserved much more from the game than we got. And it's hard to be churlish when we came so close in a group with both World Cup finalists and a quarter-finalist.

The 99 play-off v England counts, because the performance at Wembley was pretty magnificent. You play that match 100 times and we win at least half of them by at least two goals.

Euro 92 counts, because we did enough against Germany to deserve a draw and that could have been enough to make the semi-finals. Germany had one shot on target and scored twice. The last 8 of a competition is the furthest we've ever been anyway so it was already pretty glorious.

The free-kicks against England in the 2-2 draw were bloody glorious, but the goal we conceded was shite. I can't regard that as glorious, it ended up just bollocks.

I can think of others further back, but not many contenders more recently.

19 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Being a Scotland fan is debating shades of failure. Maybe we could come up with a scale from Glorious to Abject?

In fairness, unless you support a team that's actually won something, it's all shades of failure. But I'm still going to regard 5 world cup qualifications in a row as a success. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Hm, got me wondering about genuine glorious failures.

First of all, there are no glorious failures against weaker teams.

The 08 campaign itself wasn't a glorious failure, because of that bloody Georgia game, but the Italy match was. We played with courage and energy and deserved much more from the game than we got. And it's hard to be churlish when we came so close in a group with both World Cup finalists and a quarter-finalist.

The 99 play-off v England counts, because the performance at Wembley was pretty magnificent. You play that match 100 times and we win at least half of them by at least two goals.

Euro 92 counts, because we did enough against Germany to deserve a draw and that could have been enough to make the semi-finals. Germany had one shot on target and scored twice. The last 8 of a competition is the furthest we've ever been anyway so it was already pretty glorious.

The free-kicks against England in the 2-2 draw were bloody glorious, but the goal we conceded was shite. I can't regard that as glorious, it ended up just bollocks.

I can think of others further back, but not many contenders more recently.

Yes I'd pretty much agree with those.

The definitive one, which I think framed the myth, was of course in beating the Dutch in 1978.  I think though that we're guilty of thinking there's something special about us.  How many times do you see or read "It would be so Scotland to..."?  It's closely related to the Strachan nonsense of attributing failure to luck.  

Every nation could point to similar episodes in their footballing history.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Because of the recent Covid issues, FIFA are apparently considering taking away the fact that clubs have to give up their players to their countries, or accept possible sanctions with players not being available for their next club match. If this comes to pass we can give up any hope of having Celtic players in the squad for the Serbia match. I realise that on recent Scotland form that is no real loss, but it would certainly be a blow not to get Leigh Griffiths back in, providing his physical and mental fitness continue to improve. It may also mean some of the English Premier League clubs use that to stop players from joining the squad. On the plus side, hopefully Ryan Jack would be kept at Ibrox.

On 10/10/2020 at 12:05, craigkillie said:

Not every bad performance is a "shitebag display", we just weren't very good which is what sometimes happens when you are a team performing several levels above the sum of your parts for the majority of a campaign. A very similar Georgia team had put in a credible performance away to Italy four days earlier and also took points off Ukraine a month earlier.

Nah sorry brother that Georgia result was Scotland shiting the bed big time.

5 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

McKenna has 16 caps and has captained Scotland. He also has double figure appearances in European competitions.

Cooper has 4 caps.

Liam Cooper is captain of a team in the Premier League and has played over (or very close to) 300 professional games.

Scott McKenna isn't and hasn't.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes I'd pretty much agree with those.

The definitive one, which I think framed the myth, was of course in beating the Dutch in 1978.  I think though that we're guilty of thinking there's something special about us.  How many times do you see or read "It would be so Scotland to..."?  It's closely related to the Strachan nonsense of attributing failure to luck.  

Every nation could point to similar episodes in their footballing history.  

The Dutch can point to 3 World Cup finals!

One thing that does fit the "it would be so Scottish if" is beating good teams and losing to weaker ones. But we're not really good enough to do that any more.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Because of the recent Covid issues, FIFA are apparently considering taking away the fact that clubs have to give up their players to their countries, or accept possible sanctions with players not being available for their next club match. If this comes to pass we can give up any hope of having Celtic players in the squad for the Serbia match. I realise that on recent Scotland form that is no real loss, but it would certainly be a blow not to get Leigh Griffiths back in, providing his physical and mental fitness continue to improve. It may also mean some of the English Premier League clubs use that to stop players from joining the squad. On the plus side, hopefully Ryan Jack would be kept at Ibrox.

If that comes to pass not one single club will release one single player

Where did you hear this

The daily record website

31 minutes ago, GordonS said:

One thing that does fit the "it would be so Scottish if" is beating good teams and losing to weaker ones. But we're not really good enough to do that any more.

Again, I think that idea was very much crystalised by events in Argentina in 1978.  Obviously that Euro 2008 campaign also provided examples.

Once more though, I'd imagine most middling sides can point to famous, unlikely victories, fitting alongside dismal defeats to weaker nations.

You're also right in saying it's something that's stopped happening.  We're pretty guilty of writing off games against the big sides with our 'free hit' nonsense.