Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

Big infrastructure news for Perth.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/118m-cross-tay-link-road-22779921

Would be interesting to get the thoughts of #perthshire folk on this one. I used to live on the East’s side of the Tay and travelled through Bridgend every day. The traffic in the mornings there is horrific, so to me this seems like a no brainer for getting lorries and other folk onto the bypass. I’m all for it, although I’m not sure if the design of the road has changed which was due to run through ancient woodland - and I can’t support that so hopefully that’s still not the case.

Interestingly one of the Labour councillors mooted the idea of using the money to build a railway line to Blairgowrie instead. I’d like to see that happen but it doesn’t do enough to tackle the vehicle issue.

People need to stop talking about a Subway extension. It just doesn't stack up economically to build a modern metro, the population isn't dense enough so you can deliver the exact same benefit with a tram. Plus a circle by a circle is a bit shite for most journeys, they wouldn't be compatible as the new one will be bigger gauge. Just leave the subway as it is now , extension chat is pointless electioneering distraction or a slow news day at the evening times.

Focus on a tram from Paisley - Airport - Renfrew - Braehaed - QUEH - Govan - City centre - out east overland or through the London Road tunnel making it useful for Celtic Park. This has been muted recently and should be the first step in a large tram network for the city, new lines and converting the Maryhill and Cathcart Circle heavy rail.

It solves the airport problem and provides useful light rail connections to areas only served by bus. The airport link is a shite idea as it only goes from Central, people aren't going to cart all their shit into town and then onto another train or worse the subway or bus. Anyway the platforms and the new track have all been taken up by vastly improving Ayrshire services which delivers far more benefit.

Trams are essential for credible cities. Yes the Edinburgh one went tits up but once it gets to Newhaven everyone will love it. Most European cities have them, poorer and smaller cities than Glasgow and Edinburgh. Fucking Montpellier had 4 extensive tram lines and no cars in the city centre (all the roads in disappear underground into car parks) when I was there 10 years ago, a small provincial city of a couple hundred thousand.

Long term a tunnel connecting Central and Queen St so you can have through trains and get rid of all the capacity issues at Central. Billions for this though so not happening as part of UK.

I agree with you. It’s criminal that tram lines were torn out the ground back in the day. I see old pictures of Perth with the trams and it makes me sad. As you say, most European cities have them and they are enjoyable and efficient to use. Much better than the peasant wagon aka the bus.

Mon the trams.

19 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Big infrastructure news for Perth.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/118m-cross-tay-link-road-22779921

Would be interesting to get the thoughts of #perthshire folk on this one. I used to live on the East’s side of the Tay and travelled through Bridgend every day. The traffic in the mornings there is horrific, so to me this seems like a no brainer for getting lorries and other folk onto the bypass. I’m all for it, although I’m not sure if the design of the road has changed which was due to run through ancient woodland - and I can’t support that so hopefully that’s still not the case.

Interestingly one of the Labour councillors mooted the idea of using the money to build a railway line to Blairgowrie instead. I’d like to see that happen but it doesn’t do enough to tackle the vehicle issue.

Would make a huge difference to me not having to either way down across Friarton or up through Meiklour and Caputh  to get to the A9.

Not sure about what the economic benefits are TBH.

We could easily have a hyperloop, people need to stop with this tram pish and think big, Glasgow Airport to George Square in 2 minutes. Get it done. 
But back in the real world a tram system from the airport is the sensible choice, could even route it over the proposed Bridge at Yoker into the West End so that visitors and tourists don’t have to go past Snake Mountain.

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It was some tram network Glasgow had- from Paisley in the West to Coatbridge in the East.

The things we've lost indeed.

I think it went right out Airdrie. The roundabout near the football park is still known locally as the Terminus.