Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

5 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

TBF this mentality is so widespread it's frightening.  Perhaps for another thread but you often hear people complain that "there's nowhere to park" in Falkirk town centre. The statement is just absolute bollocks, there are 2 large and underused multistories that charge the princely sum of £4 for an entire day. There are other free albeit time limited car parks in the area too. what they really mean is "I can't park directly outside the place I want to go, for free and for as long as I want" 

As much as there are numerous conspiracy's about the "war on cars" flying about just now, there's probably a bit merit to doing so. People without cars will use other methods, but generally once people own a car, they want to use it for 100% of their journeys. Planners need to do something to put the balance in favor of alternative modes or else urban areas become constantly gridlocked

The exact same thing is happening in Inverness right now with businesses outraged that most cars are going to be barred from Academy Street when it is redeveloped, despite there currently being no parking on that street and two large multistorey car parks being less than 5 mins walk away.

For anyone unfamiliar with Academy Street, it is currently a gridlocked dump, with some of the highest exhaust emission readings in Scotland.

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The exact same thing is happening in Inverness right now with businesses outraged that most cars are going to be barred from Academy Street when it is redeveloped, despite there currently being no parking on that street and two large multistorey car parks being less than 5 mins walk away.

For anyone unfamiliar with Academy Street, it is currently a gridlocked dump, with some of the highest exhaust emission readings in Scotland.

A simple re-calibration of the traffic lights would significantly reduce those readings IMO.

I think transport in Edinburgh is pretty good.  I like the trams, the bus service is excellent.  It would be good to get some more train lines but there are issues with that, as noted on this thread before.  Driving into town is a pain in the hoop but it always is.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

TBF this mentality is so widespread it's frightening.  Perhaps for another thread but you often hear people complain that "there's nowhere to park" in Falkirk town centre. The statement is just absolute bollocks, there are 2 large and underused multistories that charge the princely sum of £4 for an entire day. There are other free albeit time limited car parks in the area too. what they really mean is "I can't park directly outside the place I want to go, for free and for as long as I want" 

As much as there are numerous conspiracy's about the "war on cars" flying about just now, there's probably a bit merit to doing so. People without cars will use other methods, but generally once people own a car, they want to use it for 100% of their journeys. Planners need to do something to put the balance in favor of alternative modes or else urban areas become constantly gridlocked

I think @scottsdad can't get his head round the fact that to park in Edinburgh city centre costs a minimum of £4 / hour.

4 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I think @scottsdad can't get his head round the fact that to park in Edinburgh city centre costs a minimum of £4 / hour.

It is expensive. I did a public outreach event at the National Museum a couple of years ago. Had to go by car as I was taking various equipment. I parked behind a Muslim restaurant nearby and it cost £13 for (I think) 6 hours parking. 

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It is expensive. I did a public outreach event at the National Museum a couple of years ago. Had to go by car as I was taking various equipment. I parked behind a Muslim restaurant nearby and it cost £13 for (I think) 6 hours parking. 

That’s the car park for the Mosque, you’re lucky it wasn’t a Friday 

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Public outreach, National Museum, you say, was this in connection with your work at the University?

I parked in Edinburgh before as well, can't remember why.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Public outreach, National Museum, you say, was this in connection with your work at the University?

I parked in Edinburgh before as well, can't remember why.

Yes - took along my X-ray gun for Science Saturday. 

15 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

and Edinburgh park for mainline rail connections to the west and into town

it’s  a bit smaller than the equivalents in other cities but there’s presumably no point in duplicating the Hydro and actually they should complement each other well

There wil be  plenty of acts not big enough to pack the hydro out but too big to play anywhere else in Scotland 

P and J Live is larger than this proposed venue.

34 minutes ago, strichener said:

P and J Live is larger than this proposed venue.

Thanks

I was going to check before posting but figured that P&J Live might as well be on Mars so I didn’t bother.

Notionally the Highland Hall at Ingliston can also take more but it's more of a shed than a venue 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

7 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Quick question then, doing a visit further north that will allow a few hours in Edinburgh to show the hellspawn the Castle (it’s complicated, but necessary), where’s the best place to park (location much more important than cost)?

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Quick question then, doing a visit further north that will allow a few hours in Edinburgh to show the hellspawn the Castle (it’s complicated, but necessary), where’s the best place to park (location much more important than cost)?

Multi storey car park on Kings Stables Road.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I got the train to Leven the other day. Why did they build that?

It would be more suited for an airstrip, then you could get to Leven on some sort of aircraft...

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It would be more suited for an airstrip, then you could get to Leven on some sort of aircraft...

Leven, on a jet plane...

19 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Yes - took along my X-ray gun for Science Saturday. 

why did you just not set it to "malky" and disintigrate any blue meanies or polis who tried to stop you parking for free where you wanted?