Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Its a lie anyway, the consultants I know have said that if they are under pressure (re pension issues or tax) via the NHS system, they simply reduce those hours and "do more private work" which goes through their company.

That's part of the reason why the current system doesn't work. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Its a lie anyway, the consultants I know have said that if they are under pressure (re pension issues or tax) via the NHS system, they simply reduce those hours and "do more private work" which goes through their company.

It causes other issues - they have difficulty recruiting consultants to Raigmore as there isn’t a private hospital.

NHS consultants aren’t going to go on strike over an income tax rise though. Is that even legal?

• 3 weeks later...

Article about the campaign for a Winchburgh train station.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24040782.winchburgh-rail-station-take-1-600-cars-off-roads/

I drive through here regularly and have for years and the growth of the village is huge. It must be more than double the size it was, maybe more and more houses are going up there. Surely provisioning train links to Edinburgh should have been one of the first things done with developments like these? 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/24040782.winchburgh-rail-station-take-1-600-cars-off-roads/

I drive through here regularly and have for years and the growth of the village is huge. It must be more than double the size it was, maybe more and more houses are going up there. Surely provisioning train links to Edinburgh should have been one of the first things done with developments like these? 

Used to work with a guy that moved there.  I think he said they're getting a motorway junction but no train.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

At the time of granting planning for the massive expansion of Winchburgh there was no condition placed on the developer to provide a train station. the reason for this was that Transport Scotland hadn't finalised a business case for a new station so they didn't recommend it as a condition and WLC couldn't include anything when giving the green light to the development. Transport Scotland are also concerned about the significant increases in costs for a new station.

https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/74480/Winchburgh-train-station-update 

1 minute ago, RiG said:

At the time of granting planning for the massive expansion of Winchburgh there was no condition placed on the developer to provide a train station. the reason for this was that Transport Scotland hadn't finalised a business case for a new station so they didn't recommend it as a condition and WLC couldn't include anything when giving the green light to the development. Transport Scotland are also concerned about the significant increases in costs for a new station.

https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/article/74480/Winchburgh-train-station-update 

I'm sure some bright spark will eventually think that bike lanes into Edinburgh are the way ahead.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I'm sure some bright spark will eventually think that bike lanes into Edinburgh are the way ahead.

^^^ Fuuuuuuuuumin of Edinburgh found. 

Screen-Shot-2018-05-14-at-14_57_15.thumb.png.6a122480adb3c6ee54d08ddae4b3de44.png

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

You can cycle along the Union Canal towpath right into central Edinburgh from Winchburgh.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Is this the most unimaginative name for a new town ever?   £2bn town planned near Edinburgh Airport - BBC News

Artists impression looks terrible too. 

I think the eventual idea is for that to loop all the way round to Hermiston and connect up to the new houses planned there. Will probably take a long time.

I live in the Pentland Ward and during the election every candidate, bar the Labour guy, promised to campaign against the new houses being built. NIMBY hotbed.

56 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think the eventual idea is for that to loop all the way round to Hermiston and connect up to the new houses planned there. Will probably take a long time.

I live in the Pentland Ward and during the election every candidate, bar the Labour guy, promised to campaign against the new houses being built. NIMBY hotbed.

It's classic local politics. All politicians agree there is a housing crisis, wants more homes and more affordable homes built. They just want them built nowhere near their constituents. 

I remember going to a local consultation on a development not far from us. It was hilarious to see all these old folk so worked up about a few new houses.  Total boomer facebook style outrage about how awful the traffic is, how their kids can't afford a house here (presumably less houses helps that) and these developers are just building houses to make money (duh!). If I was the people hosting it, I'd have been in jail before the end of the evening. 

10 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

How long after it's finished will it be before residents start complaining about the noise from aircraft?

Never. At least the development is well clear of the arrival and departure paths.

2 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

How long after it's finished will it be before residents start complaining about the noise from aircraft?

Years ago when buying our first house, we looked at one in Lochend Rd at Newbridge roundabout that was right at the end of the runway. We asked the guy about noise, and he said you get used to the planes and don't notice them, just as a plane came into land. We didn't go any further with that house.

3 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

Years ago when buying our first house, we looked at one in Lochend Rd at Newbridge roundabout that was right at the end of the runway. We asked the guy about noise, and he said you get used to the planes and don't notice them, just as a plane came into land. We didn't go any further with that house.

I drove down that road once a week it more. I think eventually the noise from the motorways would drown out the planes.

fke.gif

CalMac ferry built in Turkey gets March launch date - BBC News

The first of four ferries being built in Turkey for Scotland's west coast routes will be launched on 16 March, ferry owner CMAL has announced.

The MV Isle of Islay is then scheduled to arrive in Scotland in October this year and will serve Islay and Jura. The four ferries for CalMac routes are being built at the Cemre Marin Endustri shipyard in Yalovan.

The Isle of Islay's Turkish-built sister ship, Loch Indaal, is estimated to be ready by February 2025. Both vessels will have capacity for up to 450 passengers and 100 cars. They will be followed by MV Claymore and MV Lochmor in June and October next year.

Just a casual query, didn't want to start a new thread...

Spoiler

Got caught in the Glasgow LEZ in December. Going from Hampden after the ICT game, to the Crowne Plaza and a gig at the Hydro. I intended going along the Govan Road and over the Squinty Bridge but the Satnav had other ideas. It was dark and congested, didn't see any signage and I hadn't a clue where I was really until I got North of the river...

Going to a gig at the Barrowlands soon and my motor doesn't fit the LEZ restrictions. If I'm coming from Edinburgh and I come off at J15, can I go in by the High Street and along the Gallowgate, or can I go part way in and jink round by the Drygate Brewery? Or do I have to avoid this area altogether?