Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

Escaping off for a few nights in the Mediterranean sun, got some cheap flights from Prestwick Airport. Robbing bassas have really upped their parking charges - £80 for 6 days!! More expensive than the flight. Do I blame the SNP or the Greens? Am I doing it right?

Orkney drone mail service suspended after water landing - BBC News

A drone-delivery service for mail in Orkney has been temporarily suspended after a drone took a "controlled descent" into water on Monday morning. The drone owner, Skyports Drone Services, said a remote operator deployed the in-built parachute after its system flagged a technical problem. The drone landed in-between the islands of Hoy and Graemsay and has now sunk to the bottom of the sea.

Looks like some refinement is needed...

9 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Escaping off for a few nights in the Mediterranean sun, got some cheap flights from Prestwick Airport. Robbing bassas have really upped their parking charges - £80 for 6 days!! More expensive than the flight. Do I blame the SNP or the Greens? Am I doing it right?

Use the (free) park & ride at Prestwick Town and either jump on a train or walk to the airport

45 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Equally you could compare it to Glasgow or Edinburgh airports and realise it is half the price. 

Except it is not at all cheaper at Prestwick.  I have booked 10 nights from a week on Monday at Glasgow airport and cost is £64 in the long stay car park.

At least in Glasgow and  Edinburgh there are options for drivers and the actual airport facilities are night and day comparing between Prestwick and the other airports in the central belt.

7 minutes ago, deegee said:

Except it is not at all cheaper at Prestwick.  I have booked 10 nights from a week on Monday at Glasgow airport and cost is £64 in the long stay car park.

At least in Glasgow and  Edinburgh there are options for drivers and the actual airport facilities are night and day comparing between Prestwick and the other airports in the central belt.

Apples and pears. Parking t prestwick is the equivalent of short stay. No bus needed. 

24 minutes ago, deegee said:

f**k car drivers. It's got its own fucking train station. 

Spoiler

Also: f**k car drivers in general. The most obviously incorrect, tragically self-pitying subsection of society outside of Liverpool. 

1525828938_wpXTrvfKTCB4(1).gif.d696e6f9e833f01134b5de13e35c5b0f.gif

Edited by vikingTON

49 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Apples and pears. Parking t prestwick is the equivalent of short stay. No bus needed. 

It is indeed equivalent of short stay, as long as you are happy to pay  extra compared to other airports and drive 45 mins longer, assuming you don’t live in Ayrshire. 

I am not getting my knickers in a twist over blooming airport car parks but the fact is you were wrong to say Glasgow is twice the price for parking.

9 hours ago, deegee said:

It is indeed equivalent of short stay, as long as you are happy to pay  extra compared to other airports and drive 45 mins longer, assuming you don’t live in Ayrshire. 

I am not getting my knickers in a twist over blooming airport car parks but the fact is you were wrong to say Glasgow is twice the price for parking.

1. What equivalent airport parking are you comparing it to?
2. What has the fact you have to drive 45 minutes longer got to do with it?  You could drive another 3 hours and get to Manchester, but I’m not sure the relevance of that either?

7 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

1. What equivalent airport parking are you comparing it to?
2. What has the fact you have to drive 45 minutes longer got to do with it?  You could drive another 3 hours and get to Manchester, but I’m not sure the relevance of that either?

Edinburgh Fast Park is available for £7 per day.  Valet parking right next to the terminal.

Screenshot_2023-12-02-17-14-56-895_com.chrome_beta.thumb.jpg.5d414b269cd8aa61f75042cd6bc4cc1e.jpg

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

If you trust valet park8ng, you need your head looked at. 

I’ve used that service several times at Edinburgh Airport.  It’s slick.  I walk out of the terminal, pick up my keys and get on the road.

What’s your objection to valet parking?

Just a wee update on the Prestwick experience, car parked fine at the terminal, couple of pints in the departure lounge and a kinda meh all day breakfast, boarded fine and then the pilot slipped on the ice on the runway on his way to the plane. Waiting on a new guy getting stripped and coming on from the subs bench. 

36 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Just a wee update on the Prestwick experience, car parked fine at the terminal, couple of pints in the departure lounge and a kinda meh all day breakfast, boarded fine and then the pilot slipped on the ice on the runway on his way to the plane. Waiting on a new guy getting stripped and coming on from the subs bench. 

Eh ? Surely it's the job of the de-icing crews to keep all airside areas free from ice .

Pilot obviously still hungover from night before, pulling the 'sicky-of-sickies'.

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Eh ? Surely it's the job of the de-icing crews to keep all airside areas free from ice .

Pilot obviously still hungover from night before, pulling the 'sicky-of-sickies'.

I think that was the thinly veiled joke that I was failing to make. Tinpot. 

On 01/12/2023 at 23:32, virginton said:

f**k car drivers. It's got its own fucking train station. 

Hide contents

Also: f**k car drivers in general. The most obviously incorrect, tragically self-pitying subsection of society outside of Liverpool. 

1525828938_wpXTrvfKTCB4(1).gif.d696e6f9e833f01134b5de13e35c5b0f.gif

Do you ever take a day off from being permanently frothing at the mouth raging at something/someone?

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I think that was the thinly veiled joke that I was failing to make. Tinpot. 

I get it now:-

50% your fault for trying to be a total smartarse.

50% my fault for being far too slow on the uptake.

Hope you enjoy Marbella, sitting amongst your fellow UJ shorts-clad Sevconians.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

I see trains return to Ayr tomorrow with the bridge reopening to pedestrian traffic too. Half hourly "shuttle" into and out of platform 4 with it terminating at Prestwick where you switch onto another train for the rest of the journey to Glasgow. No trains south of Ayr yet but I suppose its progress of sorts given we had been told 13 January previously. Latest pictures seem to show a definite progress towards what is beginning to look like a demolition.