Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

18 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The word “could” in the headline is doing a lot of heavy lifting

as is “depends” in your response

this is after all based on a study commissioned by a firm whose business is built on helping builders push back against planning restrictions 

that said if Edinburgh decides it can’t expand out or up then ultimately something has to give

Edinburgh extends to Blackridge as it is. You can annex Plains and Caldercruix, but that's my red line.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess it pays to be a marginal constituency just like it did with the Borders rail link:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/msp-secures-snp-commitment-to-north-east-rail-3888673

Peterhead appears to be included as well. Aberdeenshire council has always protected the old alignments for the Buchan line so this is easier to do than most reinstatements would be. Not sure the Peterhead angle would ever happen given the detour to Maud that's involved.

formartine-route-map.jpg

19 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Guess it pays to be a marginal constituency just like it did with the Borders rail link:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/msp-secures-snp-commitment-to-north-east-rail-3888673

Peterhead appears to be included as well. Aberdeenshire council has always protected the old alignments for the Buchan line so this is easier to do than most reinstatements would be. Not sure the Peterhead angle would ever happen given the detour to Maud that's involved.

formartine-route-map.jpg

There was a lot of girning about the re-opening of the Borders line from non-SNP parties 

"It'll never work, no-one will use it, there's a good bus service, we have the A7 etc"

It's been a great success 

Re-opening the North East line is a great idea but what do Aberdeenshire Tories have to say?

28 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

formartine-route-map.jpg

NeighboringMerryBudgie-size_restricted.gif.7dd3ced62a0743800b9c3daf399666b0.gif

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There was a lot of girning about the re-opening of the Borders line from non-SNP parties 

"It'll never work, no-one will use it, there's a good bus service, we have the A7 etc"

It's been a great success 

Re-opening the North East line is a great idea but what do Aberdeenshire Tories have to say?

The Borders railway was mainly a Lib Dem hobbyhorse AFAIR more than an SNP one but the SNP hoped to eclipse them in the Borders so went along with it. Think Labour didn't want it to run past Gorebridge given there are few Labour voters past there and the Tories were the main opponents. The SNP will be hoping the Tories are opposed to give them a local issue to champion but it's reasonable to question why Alex Salmond didn't try to get this done when he was first minister.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

The plan to build the Borders started as the Waverley Railway project in 2005/2006 but it was cut back a lot in 2011. By cutting back on the amount of double line anh building new bridges is single track size only 

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

formartine-route-map.jpg

All the stories about it I could find all seemed to refer to the line as to "Peterhead and Fraserburgh."  I hadn't realised this would be two lines - thought it'd be one up to Peterhead and then following the coast to Fraserburgh.

19 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

formartine-route-map.jpg

There are multiple proposals on the table including using the old routes whereby you could get to Peterhead from Ellon. https://www.campaignfornortheastrail.org/proposals

19 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I see the SNP have pledged to rebuild the line between Aberdeen and Fraserburgh.

It was a bit of a shambles that Europes biggest fish market didn't have a freight option beyond lorry loads.

Also with the renewable potential in the region moving people and stuff about should be much easier if the whole area is going to benefit from economic growth.

13 minutes ago, strichener said:

There are multiple proposals on the table including using the old routes whereby you could get to Peterhead from Ellon. https://www.campaignfornortheastrail.org/proposals

Sure but how realistic is that? A significant portion of that old alignment has been built over in both Ellon and Peterhead and wasn't it narrow gauge?

17 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Sure but how realistic is that? A significant portion of that old alignment has been built over in both Ellon and Peterhead and wasn't it narrow gauge?

I'm not sure on the gauge as I'm not old enough to remember what the lines were like.  However, I would guess that the railway would just reach the current outskirts of Peterhead.  There is still the option to take the line into the town from the old line to Mintlaw and the area where the main station used to be is still accessible, it isn't outrageous but I would be totally shocked if they took a line further north than Ellon.  They didn't when dualling North which basically moved the bottle neck to Ellon rather than Balmeddie but god forbid that the SG invest in infrastructure in the North East further than the Aberdeen commuter belt..

Edited by strichener

• 1 month later...

Railway station footfall numbers revealed. I suppose when you think about it must make sense but it surprised me initially to read that Partick station has more passengers than both Aberdeen and Haymarket..

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/busiest-quietest-train-stations-scotland-28574520?utm_source=business_insider_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Railway station footfall numbers revealed. I suppose when you think about it must make sense but it surprised me initially to read that Partick station has more passengers than both Aberdeen and Haymarket..

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/busiest-quietest-train-stations-scotland-28574520?utm_source=business_insider_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

The numbers are "passenger entries, exits and interchanges" 
It's probably the interchanges that clinch the top 5 spot for Partick

Fewer people with be changing at Haymarket or Aberdeen

Railway station footfall numbers revealed.

Really need to do a bit of analysis to provide context as the numbers on their own don't tell you much apart from being much lower than before. For example, I looked at the 5 year pre-Covid average of some stations near me and compared them to the two Covid years - a couple of the main stations were down at 20% while others presumably not as reliant on commuters did much better at 35-40% (Leuchars was the best in Fife by this metric).

It wasn't the long term averages that I even saw, just the ranking of the stations that initially surprised me. But then Glasgow is a city with a fairly dense suburban rail network and Partick also has the Undergound to take you around. Edinburgh and Aberdeen only really offer you the option of getting to the end of the line, getting off and onto a bus. 

It wasn't the long term averages that I even saw, just the ranking of the stations that initially surprised me. But then Glasgow is a city with a fairly dense suburban rail network and Partick also has the Undergound to take you around. Edinburgh and Aberdeen only really offer you the option of getting to the end of the line, getting off and onto a bus. 

Haymarket was slightly busier Pre-Covid but there's not a great deal in it
2012-20 Haymarket: 2,980,386, Partick: 2,935,104