Scotland vs Slovakia (UEFA Nations League)

charger29

Really? Would they? A bunch of midfielders? Nah. Not at this level. I'd be half tempted to play Taylor Lwb and Robertson right and cutting inside. Then again I despise this formation.

Paul mcginn is a right back and like you’ve just pointed out a lb would also be a better choice than him including the midfielders I mentioned.

34 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Other than a couple of games when he was at City, all I've seen of Porteous is last week's Sportscene where he didn't exactly ignite the heather. Is his inclusion a Jack Hendrian dice roll at a passable centre back in times of need or do folk think he has a good shot at a twenty cap career?

Was that the Accies game where he gave away a penalty and scored an OG?  That’s the only time I’ve seen him and unsurprisingly I was unimpressed but he gets a good rep with Hibs fans.

Why was porteus called up over considine but now behind him?
Strange one
As is O'Donnell starting
Other than that as expected
Considine can play LCB, and I'm wondering now if he was only called up because an issue with Cooper became apparent after Israel.

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

Why was porteus called up over considine but now behind him?

Strange one

As is O'Donnell starting

Other than that as expected

Porteous would probably be in the u21s has he not been suspended for the Czech game on Friday night. 

Hopefully we’re cantering 3-0 and McGinn/Porteous can get the last 20 minutes*

*few less likely scenarios available

8 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Considine starting is like when I used to give players sympathy call ups on Football Manager. I'm sure Gerry Britton scored the goal that took us to World Cup 2006 in one save I had. 

Over the course of his career he's the type of player who it's maybe surprising had never been around a squad before. Been a reliable defender at the top end of the SPFL for what, a decade or more now? Best of luck to him I suppose, I'm sure it'll be a proud moment for him. 

Re the McBurnie/the loddy shonklund debate - I feel a wee bit for McBurnie because he seemed to want it a lot more the other night but still nothing really came off for him. 10-15 caps in it really doesn't look great. That said, haven't seen anything from Shankland to suggest he's good enough either. Even Dykes I'm not convinced is actually that great - I think we might be overstating how impressive it is for a Scotland striker to be physically competitive with opposition defences. 

Had Mark McGhee not been part of the Scotland setup under Strachan for so long, he'd have been capped well before now. In fact, had Considine played for anyone other than Aberdeen, he'd have been capped before now also. 

Just now, AFCDannyFTH said:

Had Mark McGhee not been part of the Scotland setup under Strachan for so long, he'd have been capped well before now. In fact, had Considine played for anyone other than Aberdeen, he'd have been capped before now also. 

Had he been particularly good he'd not have been playing for Aberdeen.

Porteous gives away a lot of fouls and picks up a lot of cards.

He has talent but doesn't have anything close to the required mental skills to make it at international level. Being a beat slow to process things while also being far too aggressive - not a good combination.

It's not a fatal flaw but he needs to learn the mental side of the game before he's ready to step up.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Porteous gives away a lot of fouls and picks up a lot of cards.

He has talent but doesn't have anything close to the required mental skills to make it at international level. Being a beat slow to process things while also being far too aggressive - not a good combination.

It's not a fatal flaw but he needs to learn the mental side of the game before he's ready to step up.

Not a fan of taking U21s out of the squad, especially for the bench, I would rather we maximised our abilities at that level.  Let the U21s filter into the main squad with some tournament experience.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Not a fan of taking U21s out of the squad, especially for the bench, I would rather we maximised our abilities at that level.  Let the U21s filter into the main squad with some tournament experience.

I don't have too much of a problem with taking Porteous and McCrorie out of the U21's because they're already playing at a higher level than that every week.

Our U21's are playing San Marino away, so it's not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

Big game tonight despite what the media would make you believe.

Damn right. This isn't a Nations League game, it's a World Cup qualifier. Winning this group would give us an excellent chance of getting into the play-offs, which is surely a better prospect for us than finishing in the top two in our qualifying group. We've already got an away win in Prague and a win tonight would be another big step forward.

8 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

[Flashbacks to Graeme Shinnie in Astana]

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's the year 2020. It's illegal to have guests in your house, buy a pint, go to see live music or play a game of 5s and Andrew Considine is in the Scotland team. 

Life is bleak. 

Where is it illegal to buy a pint?