Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, DEAD. GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE!

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've asked before on here, you or your Missus might have interesting insight.

At what point is it ok to "commemorate" Sutcliffe? There's Ripper tours, films and a museum in London. Should these have been allowed, if so when might there be a Yorkshire Ripper Museum in Bradford?

Eta, the museum in London claims to be more victim focused.

I’m not sure she understands the question. I think she’s confused as to why the “Peter Sutcliffe Experience” doesn’t already exist.

Peter Sutcliffe goes to heaven. St Peter was standing at the gate and asks his name.
"I'm Peter Sutcliffe."
St Peter says, "You'll have to wait there God wants a word with you."
God arrives and says to Sutcliffe, " You killed 13 women on earth"
He pulls out a hammer and hits him on the head knocking him to the ground where he hits him another 12 times then kicks him in the family jewels.
"Ok, I get why you hit me 13 times but why kick me in the nuts as well?"
"That's for telling everyone I told you to do it."

14 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Here's a quote from the police during the Ripper murders, summing up the general attitude at the time.

Absolutely disgusting - that should be a comma or possibly a semi-colon between "...he hates prostitutes. Many people do."

20 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've asked before on here, you or your Missus might have interesting insight.

At what point is it ok to "commemorate" Sutcliffe? There's Ripper tours, films and a museum in London. Should these have been allowed, if so when might there be a Yorkshire Ripper Museum in Bradford?

Eta, the museum in London claims to be more victim focused.

Disney have bought the rights.

It’s important to remember that Sutcliffe’s defence that the voice of God told him to kill prostitutes was rejected in court and was a lie. Sutcliffe murdered women for his own sexual gratification and because he was a violent misogynist.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

That’s genuinely terrifying. What a sign of the times.

It really is amazing to read now.   It's incredible that it doesn't come from the middle ages, but instead dates back just four decades. 

I think the whole idea that there was a distinction between the "innocent" victims and those perceived to be somehow deserving, was a big factor in the handling of the case.  It was a sentiment contained in the hoax letters too, clearly tapping into the prevailing outlook. 

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It’s important to remember that Sutcliffe’s defence that the voice of God told him to kill prostitutes was rejected in court and was a lie. Sutcliffe murdered women for his own sexual gratification and because he was a violent misogynist.

I’m glad that was the call but I’m curious; how would a court go about disproving such a claim? The bedrock of religion is  “You can’t prove God doesn’t exist, therefore that’s proof that he does. Neener, neener, neeeener!”

As has been noted, Bush and Blair both claimed their actions re the Iraq invasion were justified because God told them to it. Hundreds of thousands of people dead and they’re still walking free. 

6 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

I’m glad that was the call but I’m curious; how would a court go about disproving such a claim? The bedrock of religion is  “You can’t prove God doesn’t exist, therefore that’s proof that he does. Neener, neener, neeeener!”

As has been noted, Bush and Blair both claimed their actions re the Iraq invasion were justified because God told them to it. Hundreds of thousands of people dead and they’re still walking free. 

At what point do your internal thoughts become "voices"? I suppose psychiatric evaluation will make that call in criminal.cases. It'll be less clear in other non-criminal cases. I suspect Blair and Bush has other motivations but if an individual has a strong enough conviction or delusion they could easily convince themselves that it is out with their control and ordered by "God".

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Rather than his defence being that God actually spoke to him, was it not more that he was clearly mentally ill, as evidenced by the fact that he claimed God talked to him?

A subtle distinction maybe, but I think it was there.