Squad for the finals

Donathan

20 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Same Gilmour that argued with ref after a bad tackle after his last game and was sent off for disent aye some fitbaw brain against ten  men in a situation were we could have went on and won  but drew instead 

And Serbia were not a poor team and we never scrapped bye them we should have had it out of sight look at there squad

Israel are a improving team with good players aren't any mugs either

And Jack was outstanding with some great tackles stopping chances putting his body on the line by bailing out the defence

Name one better defensive midfielder notion that hasn't retired

Who is playing European football and winning?

I believe the expression is " big team found "

2 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Still think we don't miss Jack?

I think that goal highlights what he adds to the team

I think he would been in there taking it off his toe

20 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:

Same Gilmour that argued with ref after a bad tackle after his last game and was sent off for disent aye some fitbaw brain against ten  men in a situation were we could have went on and won  but drew instead 

And Serbia were not a poor team and we never scrapped bye them we should have had it out of sight look at there squad

Israel are a improving team with good players aren't any mugs either

And Jack was outstanding with some great tackles stopping chances putting his body on the line by bailing out the defence

Name one better defensive midfielder notion that hasn't retired

Who is playing European football and winning?

I believe the expression is " big team found "

I wasn't blaming him, I was just pointing out that him being missing wasn't entirely down to covid, but more down to him not being good enough to be worth picking.

And not for the first time you would be wrong, but kudos on the writing style which makes a fair attempt at having your personal opinions sound like actual real facts!!!

Did Chris Martin (Bristol City not Coldplay) retire from the NS or was he just not deemed very good by previous managers? 

I guess I’m looking for Dykes replacements to fit the system. 

Disappoinred in the lack of calls for Antti Niemi as third choice goalkeeper tbqhwy....

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 14/11/2020 at 13:39, Mean Gene said:

Players to come back in/ you will have to consider if they make an impact this season.

Ryan Fraser- definite.

James Forrest

John Fleck

Kevin Nesbit

Aaron Hickey (possible right back option if continues to make an impact at Bologna?) By all accounts he is comfy on both sides. 

Ryan Gauld ( great start to the season and now captain) 

Billy Gilmour 

Don’t know if anyone else can stake a claim? I bet a few people will start to crawl out the woodwork. 

If you're going to come out with random selections like Gauld, why not Lewis Ferguson and Ross McCrorie ?

Both of them are the stand-out midfielders in Scotland this season. 

Not that it matters now, but in 1998, 1996 and 1992 we went to North America for a couple of friendlies just before tournaments. We usually played 2-3 pre-tournament friendlies in total with others in March and April. Usually, we were shite in these matches.

With things as they are it's hard to imagine them arranging any overseas camps.

26 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Not that it matters now, but in 1998, 1996 and 1992 we went to North America for a couple of friendlies just before tournaments. We usually played 2-3 pre-tournament friendlies in total with others in March and April. Usually, we were shite in these matches.

With things as they are it's hard to imagine them arranging any overseas camps.

30 May 1986     LA Heat 0-3 Scotland
01 Jun 1986      Hollywood Kickers 0-4 Scotland

(28 May 1990     Malta 1-2 Scotland)

17 May 1992     United States 0-1 Scotland
20 May 1992     Canada 0-3 Scotland

26 May 1996     United States 2-1 Scotland
29 May 1996     Colombia 1-0 Scotland (at Miami)

23 May 1998     Colombia 2-2 Scotland (at East Rutherford)
30 May 1998     United Statrs 0-0 Scotland

Humorous aside: about 10yrs ago Hibs management wanted an Alpine pre-season training camp, so Petrie sent them to... Peebles Hotel Hydro. I'm fairly sure it was actually described as "just like the Alps but cheaper" and they bussed the team to East Main for training some days.

Jimmy Scott broke Sean Welsh's jaw during it and Calderwood was sacked by Bonfire Night.

The best thing about pre-tournament friendlies is when a country organises them against teams who are geographically close to their group opponents (although this tends to happen more in the World Cup).

Therefore, we should be playing Wales, B&H and Austria. 

6 hours ago, accies1874 said:

The best thing about pre-tournament friendlies is when a country organises them against teams who are geographically close to their group opponents (although this tends to happen more in the World Cup).

Therefore, we should be playing Wales, B&H and Austria. 

As you allude to, the main unwritten rule here is that you don't need to prepare for European opposition by playing nearby European teams. For some reason this bizarre habit only applies to non-European opposition.

My recent favourite was when all the teams in Panama's group at 2018 World Cup (England, Belgium and Tunisia) were on the look out for somewhere geographically similar so all played matches against Costa Rica in preparation.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Is that done because national managers assume that your group opponent’s geographical neighbours will have a similar style of football? I’ve never heard of this before

Yep. In fairness decades ago it was probably true. Nowadays the notion different parts of the continent or different parts of the world share distinct and differing styles is fairly archaic.

If we take England at World Cups as an example:
* 1970 drew Brazil ... played Colombia and Ecuador in warm-ups
* 1982 drew Kuwait
* 1986 drew Morocco ... played Egypt in warm-up
* 1990 drew Egypt ... played Tunisia in warm-up
* 1998 drew Tunisia and Colombia ... played Saudi Arabia, Morocco and Chile in warm-ups
* 2002 drew Argentina and Nigeria ... played Paraguay and Cameroon in warm-ups
* 2006 drew Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago ... played Uruguay and Jamaica in warm-ups
* 2010 drew USA and Algeria ... played Mexico and Egypt in warm-ups
* 2014 drew Uruguay and Costa Rica ... played Peru, Ecuador and Honduras in warm-ups
* 2018 drew Tunisia and Panama ... played Nigeria and Costa Rica in warm-ups

It's certainly an idea I'm familiar with from World Cup build-ups.

As has been pointed out before, you imagine there are very few spaces up for grabs, very few spaces that are not already cast in iron. 

Injuries, though, could prove disruptive if they hit us in key positions. Dykes, for example. An injury to him pre the finals would really hurt us. 

Whilst we have more cover at centre half and Centre mid, I'm not sure we have any players who can do the type of job Gallagher and Jack do, or certainly the job they did on Thursday night. 

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

How far away from a call up is Fraser Hornby?

Not seen much of him but if we’re still light up front then he could be a dark horse

At least all the players have 100% motivation for turning up and playing well for the three WC qualifiers in March 

Its a dry one we need imo.

7 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Is it just me that feels bringing Forrest back shouldn't be a given when he's fit?

He's been genuinely woeful in most of his caps and I don't really see where be plays in the formation we've settled on.  He's never really been a good impact player off the bench either. 

He had his most successful season stats wise last year despite it being shortened (16 goals, 22 assists) . In the nations league hes scored 5 goals in 4 games so would silly really to not utilise somebody like him in a squad.