What Comic Did You Buy When You Were A Nipper?

D.A.F.C

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've still got some old Electric Soups. Editor and artist Frank Quietly went on to be quite a big deal in the US and had an exhibition in the Kelvingrove a couple of years ago

There's a pic of some Meadowbank fans who were banned from the Stadium by Blobby Hunter peeking in from Marionville Road and one of them has the Shaver's Weekly in his back pocket...

Originally from Edinburgh but can remember reading more electric Soups than shakers weekly.  Though the only character I can remember is Rocky McBlaw.   I'll look up the electric soup editors other stuff.  

On 22/11/2020 at 11:35, Tynierose said:

Yes it was, I got it delivered weekly.   Some of the other stories were great.  The golkeeper Rick Stewart,  Billy's Boots,  Hot Shot Hamish etc.

I very much regret chucking my commando comics.

Me too, I wonder how many members they actually had.

I used to go for some of the less popular comics which tended to merge with a double title before the less popular title got smaller on the front cover and then disappeared. And then on to the next merger.

So Cheeky (he wore a red and black striped jumper similar to Dennis The Menace but with a big yellow C on the front) merged with Whoopee which then merged with Tiger with Billy's Boots and Hot SHot Hamish etc. as Tynierose mentioned.

I think it then merged with the Eagle which had Dan Dare fighting against the Mekon.

Various Summer Specials and Annuals too.

On 22/11/2020 at 21:31, HooseLee said:

Not read the whole thread, but does anyone remember the two Scottish comics that were about in the late eighties, early niģties that where called Shavers weekly and Electric Soup?  Shavers weekly was Edinburgh and the electric Soup glasgow.  

I only ever bought one copy of Shavers Weekly. All I can remember from it was some guy interviewing the rock band GWAR while stark bollock naked. 

On 22/11/2020 at 22:27, tamthebam said:

I've still got some old Electric Soups. Editor and artist Frank Quietly went on to be quite a big deal in the US and had an exhibition in the Kelvingrove a couple of years ago

There's a pic of some Meadowbank fans who were banned from the Stadium by Blobby Hunter peeking in from Marionville Road and one of them has the Shaver's Weekly in his back pocket...

Yeah, Quitely did ok for himself. X-Men, Batman, and Superman are among the titles he worked on...

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

My recollection of the Viz vs DC Thompson tit for tat in the early-mid nineties was that Viz did a strip called Korky the c**t. Internet sources say that it was called Korky the Twat. Does anyone have a copy they could scan in to settle it? 

I remember  Viz having a parody Broons story where one of the kids runs home to tell Ma that they heard Granpa was away for a fight. The whole family march round to his house to find him on the outhouse cludgie reading the paper - "A fight? Naw, I said ah was awa' fur a shite!"

13 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
22 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:
Stories like Billy's Boots and Captain Cadman were my favourites.

Tuff (or Tough?) of the Track was good too.

Alf Tupper was the Tough of the Track. I think he had a pet whippet.

Liked a double fish supper the night before a race. Cannae mind the comic he was in. The Tiger maybe or Wizzard? One of Scorcher and Score's predecessors. There was a wrestler called Johnny Cougar who was of native American origin. Didnae pay much attention to wrestling pish so could nae say for sure

38 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Liked a double fish supper the night before a race. Cannae mind the comic he was in. The Tiger maybe or Wizzard? One of Scorcher and Score's predecessors. There was a wrestler called Johnny Cougar who was of native American origin. Didnae pay much attention to wrestling pish so could nae say for sure

See the source image