What Comic Did You Buy When You Were A Nipper?

D.A.F.C

When I was wee it was the Beano mainly, tried the Dandy but really only liked bananaman.

Used to enjoy the special wee comic annuals they did as well.

Had the first ever transformers comic which would now be worth a few bob but read it so much it was wrecked.

At Christmas used to get the beano/dandy books plus oor Willie and the broons.

My cousins used to collect 2000ad which I thought were pretty cool but never really got into the superhero stuff.

I started off with The Dandy as a kid, I then graduated into The Victor. As a teenager I had a brief dalliance with The Fantastic Four before moving onto more alternative stuff like Deadline and American underground stuff like The Furry Freak Brothers.

I've still got a reasonable collection, but most of them are over 25 years old. My Marvel comics are full of adverts for NES games. 

The first one I ever really bought under my own steam was Action, which was a short-lived violent-as-f**k publication from the mid-70s that I believe was some kind of indirect forerunner to 2000AD. It only lasted less than a year from memory before from being withdrawn from sale after a public outcry...heady times...

Too much action: how kids' comic Action drowned in its own ultraviolence |  Books | The Guardian

52 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Roy of the Rovers and the Beano.  Also used the get the wee football and commando comics.

Oor wullie and the brooms became a Christmas tradition.

This. 
My old boy got me the Eagle for a bit but I thought it was shite. Still got all my old Broons ans Oor Wullies and the bairn now reads them.

Beano and Dandy regularly, occassional beezer, topper, whizzer and chips. 

Victor fairly regularly, had a load of commandos. "this one's for you Fritz! Kabloom!" Yas. 

Liked but didn't read a lot of fantastic 4 and hulk. Also read Archie and jughead for some reason

Just remembered Mad as well. Spy vs spy between the panes and the folding page were the highlights of that. 

Vaguely remember a brief dalliance with Oink as a gateway to Viz and Zit towards the end of childhood. 

18 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The first one I ever really bought under my own steam was Action, which was a short-lived violent-as-f**k publication from the mid-70s that I believe was some kind of indirect forerunner to 2000AD. It only lasted less than a year from memory before from being withdrawn from sale after a public outcry...heady times...

Too much action: how kids' comic Action drowned in its own ultraviolence |  Books | The Guardian

Action was brilliant, so different to any other comic at that time.

However it was that issue, with the chain-wielding thug and the policeman cowering below,  that led to a media outcry (it was dubbed The Sevenpenny Nightmare) and questions being raised in Parliament and publication being suspended.

It came back months later but had lost all of its edge. Sales dwindled and it merged with Battle.

There's an excellent history of it here.

https://downthetubes.net/?page_id=33280