Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
On 15/03/2021 at 12:22, wastecoatwilly said:
If Celtic can sack Billy McNeil,Tommy Burns and Neil Lennon for not winning the league it really doesn't matter who it is.

Forgetting that the men who replaced Burns and Lennon did actually win the league

The problem I've got with this is any manager coming into Celtic will be given no grace,he will be sacked if he doesn't win the league.

Any sign of Celtic appointing a manager? It seems to be that they will avoid doing so for a time to avoid the new gaffer being associated with the shit show of this season.

However that means he goes straight in to the champions league qualifiers that are always going to be difficult to navigate with a new era/team.

Not ideal.

Some chat out of afc about having a timetable but not so much for celtic?

20 minutes ago, d31 said:

Some chat out of afc about having a timetable but not so much for celtic?

Celtic are changing the structure of the football department first with a CEO then a DOF then a head coach.
IMO If Celtic don't appoint a manager(head coach) in the next 2 weeks I think he is in a job and will leave to come to Celtic.

16 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The problem I've got with this is any manager coming into Celtic will be given no grace,he will be sacked if he doesn't win the league.

Of course, any manager coming into Celtic can now point at the fact that Rangers stood by Gerrard and gave him two seasons worth of grace whilst he won hee-haw. 

The way I see it, Celtic have two rods for their back just now. One made by Rangers and mentioned above, the other made by themselves when they pushed the yacht out and went Hollywood with Brendan Rodgers. 

15 hours ago, AJF said:

Celtic will likely announce plans for their new manager at the same time season ticket renewals drop through the letter box.

Renewing my season ticket has got nothing to do with who the manager (head coach) is going to be,very strange comment.
Do you really think fans will not renew if they're not happy with the appointment of a manager?

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Renewing my season ticket has got nothing to do with who the manager (head coach) is going to be,very strange comment.
Do you really think fans will not renew if they're not happy with the appointment of a manager?

Look at the jump in attendances and season ticket sales Celtic had when Rodgers came in. Of course, that coincided with Rangers gaining promotion, but Celtic fans were adamant the increase was due to Rodgers arriving so why would it be any different this time round?

I've seen many Celtic fans suggest they'd be reluctant to renew unless there are changes so I just think the announcement of any new management team will be timed to have maximum impact. A lot of clubs do it. They hold back "good news" to coincide with season ticket renewals, kit launches etc.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Look at the jump in attendances and season ticket sales Celtic had when Rodgers came in. Of course, that coincided with Rangers gaining promotion, but Celtic fans were adamant the increase was due to Rodgers arriving so why would it be any different this time round?

I've seen many Celtic fans suggest they'd be reluctant to renew unless there are changes so I just think the announcement of any new management team will be timed to have maximum impact. A lot of clubs do it. They hold back "good news" to coincide with season ticket renewals, kit launches etc.

I've said before Celtic have a core support of about 30k to 40k regardless of the changes the club makes,Rodgers was box office so the club may go that way again. 

23 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Ralf Rangnick and Marsch combo would be box office. Would up there with very very best we could possibly hope to do

I believe Ralf Rangnick is wanting to go back to Schalke to sort out the mess they are in and he's a Schalke man and probably sees this challenge as some sort of saviour role. Although it may depend on the people who are in charge there as I think he's been siding with people looking to take control rather than the incumbent board.

Genuine question: I've heard a number of radio pundits saying that Celtic need a massive squad overhaul, and even then, it might take years for them to compete with Rangers again. Why is this the case? Is Celtic's squad not extremely similar to last season's Celtic squad which was considerably ahead of Rangers? I personally think a half-decent manager could get them competing almost instantly.

Genuine question: I've heard a number of radio pundits saying that Celtic need a massive squad overhaul, and even then, it might take years for them to compete with Rangers again. Why is this the case? Is Celtic's squad not extremely similar to last season's Celtic squad which was considerably ahead of Rangers? I personally think a half-decent manager could get them competing almost instantly.

I mostly agree with this, with the caveat that some of their better players (Edouard, Ajer, possibly McGregor and Christie) will most likely be off in the summer given that they'll only have a year left on their contract.

However, if you had swapped the managers around at the start of the season I think this Celtic squad would be winning the league by miles.

13 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Because Celtic have a number of players that will be transferring out of the squad in the summer.

Edouard, Ajer, Christie and Ntcham have all let their contracts run down, and are available on a Bosman in 2022. It's widely anticipated Celtic will sell them this summer to recover some value and help balance the books.

The loanees will all be going back (Duffy, Laxalt, Kenny, Elyounoussi).

Brown probably gets another year but he needs replaced.

Assuming they sell those players, the squad for next season, as it stands:

Barkas, Bain, Hazard

Jullien (probably injured until January), Welsh, Taylor, Bitton, Ralston

Soro, McGregor, Turnbull, Brown, Forrest, Rogic, Johnston

Ajeti, Klimala, Griffiths

At least half of those players (possibly even more) aren't good enough to play a role in the next title-winning Celtic squad. Three of the players that aren't good enough are goalkeepers.

It's an extremely unbalanced squad. Celtic need 1xGK, 2xRB, 1xCB, 1xLB, 1xRW, 1xLW, 1xCM even if they kept all of the jobbers above.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

Because Celtic have a number of players that will be transferring out of the squad in the summer.

Edouard, Ajer, Christie and Ntcham have all let their contracts run down, and are available on a Bosman in 2022. It's widely anticipated Celtic will sell them this summer to recover some value and help balance the books.

Barkas, Bain, Hazard

At least half of those players (possibly even more) aren't good enough to play a role in the next title-winning Celtic squad. Three of the players that aren't good enough are goalkeepers.

It's an extremely unbalanced squad. Celtic need 1xGK, 2xRB, 1xCB, 1xLB, 1xRW, 1xLW, 1xCM even if they kept all of the jobbers above.

The if buts and maybe's are quality to be fair.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

The only ifs are whether Celtic decide to lose Edouard, Ajer and Christie for free next summer instead of for reduced value now. Ntcham has already got a fee in his loan agreement to leave (assuming Marseille want to keep him, which isn't a given).

Maybe that's what they want to do. But I think the players would have something to say about that.

You clearly don't think significant transfer activity is required?

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

The only ifs are whether Celtic decide to lose Edouard, Ajer and Christie for free next summer instead of for reduced value now. Ntcham has already got a fee in his loan agreement to leave (assuming Marseille want to keep him, which isn't a given).

Maybe that's what they want to do. But I think the players would have something to say about that.

I have no dog in the Celtic Rangers fight and I agree that Celtic need signings. I would assume that the new coach would be looking to build his team around Turnbull and possibly Christie if he signs a new contract. However when he goes on international duty and he's room sharing with Robbo, Tierney or McGinn he's probably getting his head turned toward what he could earn down south.  Celtic may have to take what they can get in the summer for him. 

I still think Celtic have a powerful squad there but Lennon's tactics of picking fights with players and then chucking them under the bus in the eyes of the media to get a reaction out of them ran out of steam the same way it did at Hibs.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Celtic are in a strong financial position yes the squad will be looked at by the new football management coming in.
Players will only leave if the price is right , why do we need to balance the books Lawwell is leaving plus we have dosh in the bank?

31 minutes ago, G51 said:

Barkas, Bain, Hazard

24 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

No "ifs" and "buts" or "maybes" that I can see. One "probably" and one "assuming".

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic are in a strong financial position yes the squad will be looked at by the new football management coming in.
Players will only leave if the price is right , why do we need to balance the books Lawwell is leaving plus we have dosh in the bank?

It'll depend on whether Celtic qualify for the Champions League next season. The model they are currently operating under means they will make a loss each season unless they sell a player or qualify for the champions league.