Celtic's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Celtic's next permanent manager?  

445 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, G51 said:

It's an extremely unbalanced squad. Celtic need 1xGK, 2xRB, 1xCB, 1xLB, 1xRW, 1xLW, 1xCM even if they kept all of the jobbers above.

One of the comments many Rangers fans have been saying is that Celtic were so arrogant they didn't believe Rangers could catch them. You are doing the exact same thing here.

Celtic need to get rid of the players who want to leave, get a good manager and get 3-4 good key signings and it will be a close fight next year. That isn't easy to do but it is not the 2-3yr building job you are hoping for.

How many times do you see either a superb goalkeeper or centre back transform an average defence into a good one? It is different levels but Liverpool were floating about 5th in the league and they signed Van Dijk and Allison and went on to be the best team in Europe. Man Utd were in a similar position then they sign Fernandes and they become a far better side for that one signing.

Celtic had 13 or so players missing for a game against Hibs (the 3rd best team in the league) and they still didn't get beat and arguably were the better side. They only need to be consistent against the other 10 sides who you are both vastly superior too for the league to be competitive.

This is all on the assumption Rangers will be as good next year, you could regress a bit and still win the league although you could regress slightly and Celtic improve slightly and it would be close.

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

One of the comments many Rangers fans have been saying is that Celtic were so arrogant they didn't believe Rangers could catch them. You are doing the exact same thing here.

Celtic need to get rid of the players who want to leave, get a good manager and get 3-4 good key signings and it will be a close fight next year. That isn't easy to do but it is not the 2-3yr building job you are hoping for.

How many times do you see either a superb goalkeeper or centre back transform an average defence into a good one? It is different levels but Liverpool were floating about 5th in the league and they signed Van Dijk and Allison and went on to be the best team in Europe. Man Utd were in a similar position then they sign Fernandes and they become a far better side for that one signing.

Celtic had 13 or so players missing for a game against Hibs (the 3rd best team in the league) and they still didn't get beat and arguably were the better side. They only need to be consistent against the other 10 sides who you are both vastly superior too for the league to be competitive.

This is all on the assumption Rangers will be as good next year, you could regress a bit and still win the league although you could regress slightly and Celtic improve slightly and it would be close.

Yeah here's the thing though, I haven't said anywhere that Celtic cannot win the title next season. It's impossible to know what their chances are because there's so much uncertainty around them.

21 hours ago, G51 said:

I mean, this is all stuff that Kieran Maguire, the guy who makes a living studying this stuff, has been saying for a while now.

It amazes me when the OF slag off each others accounts while blissfully ignoring their own.

Here is a link to Kieran Maguire that shows they are in a better position than you yet you hold the opinion that they are in deep trouble but you are not. I find it baffling that you see it this way????

You have a lower wage bill and a slightly lower wage to revenue but in everything else they are better.

****This does not include the Frimpong sale so take that into consideration that they have an extra £8m to be added in here***

https://cfbfootball.com/2021/03/07/kieran-maguire-celtic-and-rangers-finances-assessed/

image.thumb.png.aed8a6be56566e1b74519ed367867cf5.png

2 minutes ago, ahemps said:

It amazes me when the OF slag off each others accounts while blissfully ignoring their own.

Here is a link to Kieran Maguire that shows they are in a better position than you yet you hold the opinion that they are in deep trouble but you are not. I find it baffling that you see it this way????

You have a lower wage bill and a slightly lower wage to revenue but in everything else they are better.

****This does not include the Frimpong sale so take that into consideration that they have an extra £8m to be added in here***

https://cfbfootball.com/2021/03/07/kieran-maguire-celtic-and-rangers-finances-assessed/

image.thumb.png.aed8a6be56566e1b74519ed367867cf5.png

Yet again, you're putting words into my mouth.

1) Nowhere did I say that Celtic are in "deep trouble" financially. What I said is they can't afford to buy all the players to fund the necessary rebuild without selling a few. This is based on them having £20m cash in the bank at the end of December heading into the half of the year where they have almost no income. The difference between Rangers and Celtic is that Rangers shareholders are committed to covering the losses by converting debt to equity, whereas Celtic's shareholders (so far) haven't shown the inclination to do that, so the losses have to be covered through trading or by burning cash reserves.

2) You didn't even read the conclusion of the article you posted:

Celtic have had a substantial financial advantage over Rangers and all other football clubs in Scotland for many years. This has been a major factor in their success in winning trophies during that period. That financial advantage has eroded though in the last couple of seasons and perhaps the club has been complacent in terms of player related issues. Rangers are now able to genuinely challenge Celtic and have made a far better start both domestically and in the Europa League. If Rangers qualify for the Champions League group stages, then they are likely to overtake Celtic in terms of revenue generation in a league where finishing second for either team is regarded as failure.

18 hours ago, G51 said:

Yet again, you're putting words into my mouth.

1) Nowhere did I say that Celtic are in "deep trouble" financially. What I said is they can't afford to buy all the players to fund the necessary rebuild without selling a few. This is based on them having £20m cash in the bank at the end of December heading into the half of the year where they have almost no income. The difference between Rangers and Celtic is that Rangers shareholders are committed to covering the losses by converting debt to equity, whereas Celtic's shareholders (so far) haven't shown the inclination to do that, so the losses have to be covered through trading or by burning cash reserves.

2) You didn't even read the conclusion of the article you posted:

Fair enough you didn't say it, I am probably debating with you with comments and views I have heard other Rangers fans say, that isn't fair.

Genuine question though are Rangers directors all still going to be happy throwing money at Rangers post covid? Will none of their business's have been effected?

It is a view held by some Rangers fans that making losses while having backers willing to cover these is better than making a profit or being sustainable. Is this just a purely partisan view? As in my opinion I would rather be in the latter camp.

The conclusion of the article is pretty obvious though and applies to either of the old firm as to get into the Champions league they'll gain a huge financial advantage to the tune of around 30m. 

Celtic could easily bring in ~£50m-£60m this Summer.

Ajer, Jullien, Ntcham, Christie, Edouard bring in over £50m combined at least, then dross like Hendry, Rogic, Shved, Klimala plus others like Barkas could bring in £10m or so too.

That still leaves them with a midfield of McGregor, Soro and Turnbull. Forrest on the right, Elyounoussi apparently £8m for left. Johnston is quality too. Ajeti up front, or Grififths.

Taylor is fine at left back and Bain is probably fine as a keeper for a season.

So they'd have ~£40m to sign a defence, plus strengthen their depth. A quality manager pushes the weakest players I've mentioned (Bain, Taylor, Soro) up a level, and gets the best out underperforming players like Elyounoussi and Ajeti.

It's not impossible they overthrow Rangers next season, it's just improbable as they'd have to nail everything this Summer.

Mental that they had a decade to build something but never seemed to have a long term plan in place.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Agree with most of that but Bain is never a title winning keeper. They need to sign a goalkeeper more than any other position, and they need to actually get it right this summer.

I think he's passable in most of the games they play, especially if the defence is strong, but would worry about him games v stronger sides.

22 hours ago, ahemps said:

I agree with most of that,I think Celtic peaked too soon under Rodgers and the down turn happened with improving the players at the club and not recruiting good enough to carry the squad through to get the 10,being at the top is easier than staying at the top.

Surely both Edouard and Morelos will be away in the summer ?

I would imagine the Rangers directors will not be able to supply the same cash to keep them going as previously.

Do Rangers not intend to sell more players this summer ?

Edited by ewan14

4 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Surely both Edouard and Morelos will be away in the summer ?

I would imagine the Rangers directors will not be able to supply the same cash to keep them going as previously.

Do Rangers not intend to sell more players this summer ?

They'll be getting a decent wedge from their European adventures and that'll only increase with Champions League money.

Scott Bain should never, ever be a Celtic number 1 (and I'm not saying that just because I hate Bain). Good and successful teams always have a strong and reliable keeper. If Celtic go into next season with Scott Bain as first or even second choice, then the new manager is doing something wrong.