Ross County's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Ross County's Next Permanent Manager?  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh boy

DEREK ADAMS is in the frame for a stunning THIRD spell as Ross County boss after this evening’s sacking of Stuart Kettlewell.

Morecambe boss Adams was controversially sacked by Staggies chief Roy MacGregor in 2014.

Morecambe boss Derek Adams
Morecambe boss Derek AdamsCredit: Getty Images - Getty

Adams had led County to a fifth place finish after two successful seasons in the top flight.

But SunSport understands that MacGregor remains an admirer of the 45-year-old.

Adams is under contract until 2022 — but has a get-out clause.

He would still consider a return to the Highlands where it’s believed he has also kept his Inverness home.

Adams could be in line for a third stint as Staggies boss
Adams could be in line for a third stint as Staggies bossCredit: PA:Press Association

Ex-County star Adams — who has worked miracles in his 13 months at League Two Shrimps — won the First and Second Division titles in Dingwall.

In 2010 he took took them to the Scottish Cup Final after beating Celtic.

Other contenders include John Hughes, Tommy Wright and former County boss Jim McIntyre

Kettlewell broke the news of his sacking to the media after being informed immediately post-match against Hamilton.

He said: "I have been relieved of my duties. That is the situation.

STAGGIES AXE Ross County sack boss Stuart Kettlewell after 2-0 defeat to Hamilton in Dingwall

"Everybody knows I’ve got a brilliant relationship with the chairman, with the football club and everybody here – the cleaners, kit woman, groundsman, everybody.

"It’s a sore one, of course it is.

"I want to fight, scrap and do the best I possibly can for the football club. I have done that for a long time.

"We find ourselves bottom of the table and cut adrift a little bit off the back of this result.

"I understand football. There is no ill feeling from me towards the football club or to the chairman.

"I’m thankful for the opportunity. There have been a lot of high points, of course there have, but that’s for speaking about another day.

"It’s a bad day for me personally, and for the football club. I genuinely wish every success to the football club moving forward.

"Hopefully somebody can get a tune out of this group of players to get into a situation where we are not sitting at the foot of the table."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/6429566/adams-ross-county-kettlewell/

See if Roy MacGregor woke up one day and thought "You know what, there are actually folk out there who know football a lot better than I do, I'll pay one of them to come in and run my club for me" Ross County would have the potential to be up there challenging for European places.

MacGregor is the reason they've come so far, but his inability to look beyond people he knows and trusts to run key positions at the club is holding County back. Bringing back Derek Adams, even if it does work out, is terrible decision making because the process behind it is so bad.

55 minutes ago, G51 said:

See if Roy MacGregor woke up one day and thought "You know what, there are actually folk out there who know football a lot better than I do, I'll pay one of them to come in and run my club for me" Ross County would have the potential to be up there challenging for European places.

MacGregor is the reason they've come so far, but his inability to look beyond people he knows and trusts to run key positions at the club is holding County back. Bringing back Derek Adams, even if it does work out, is terrible decision making because the process behind it is so bad.

Wow!  Best post I have read  in a long time.

I am amazed at how spot on your comments/assumptions are, in fact, I made the very same comments this evening in the supermarket to a person.

Roy McGregor is the reason the club has come so far, his passion for Ross County is second to none.

You are so right, people he knows and trusts are the problem, not just at the football club, in some of his businesses also, there are folk there that quite simply should not be.

Over the last few years with Roy’s investments, commitments, desire, County could and should have done better, on several occasions they have been close, but should have been closer.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Alex Rae or Alan Stubbs. Both are well thought of in the media.

I always thought Saints fans were a bit OTT as to how bad a manager Stubbs was because he got sacked so early . Then I have been hearing him on Celtic TV this season and he comes across as thick as pig shit. Hibs’ Scottish cup win is even more impressive now tbh considering he was their manager.

Just now, gannonball said:

I always thought Saints fans were a bit OTT as to how bad a manager Stubbs was because he got sacked so early . Then I have been hearing him on Celtic TV this season and he comes across as thick as pig shit. Hibs’ Scottish cup win is even more impressive now tbh considering he was their manager.

A brief investigation into his transfer dealings at St Mirren tells you all you need to know. Experienced pros and Directors were astonished at the absolute dross in quality that he was bringing in. They reckon they could have found better players in the Paisley and District Amateur Leagues. Besides the fact he had zero man management skills and alienated the dressing room after only two weeks. However his pals still talk him up.

2 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

A brief investigation into his transfer dealings at St Mirren tells you all you need to know. Experienced pros and Directors were astonished at the absolute dross in quality that he was bringing in. They reckon they could have found better players in the Paisley and District Amateur Leagues. Besides the fact he had zero man management skills and alienated the dressing room after only two weeks. However his pals still talk him up.

The upheaval he tried considering the team had just horsed promotion was a strange one tbh

21 minutes ago, gannonball said:

He's the slowest-talking Scouser I've ever heard. I know the Hibs boys love him for the cup win, but he is honestly atrocious. 

He set us back a very long way in a few short months and it was a miracle that we stayed up that season.

Re the squad... It was probably needing a bit of an overhaul anyway, so the whole 'he ripped up a great squad' narrative isn't the full picture. I'd say only Gavin Reilly should have stayed. He also didn't sign Liam Smith, but we already had Paul McGinn by that point. I'm not defending Stubbs at all, but Jack Ross clearly wasn't hanging about and had hugely neglected to forward plan for us (McGinn signing being the exception).

The issue, as @NorthBank says, really was the dross Stubbs brought in. Managers have shown before and since, and also at other clubs, that you can assemble a competitive squad with our budget range, but it takes care and talent. 

That said, I do think it'd be an excellent idea for County to give him the shot at management he deserves.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

This is a job that could appeal to Tommy Wright. The Highland lifestyle, a chairman that will certainly back him and no legacy issues regarding his time at Saints. 

Not sure the assistant manager would be his ideal partner though... 

I'd be surprised if he didn't fancy it.  An underdog in a scrap that he will relish, good financial backing from the chairman with a transfer window not far away, and no interfering director of football.

I think he wanted a crack at a bigger club that he thought he could bring on, possibly the likes of one of the Dundees or an Edinburgh side, but otherwise I think County is a decent fit for him going on the above.

38 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'd be surprised if he didn't fancy it.  An underdog in a scrap that he will relish, good financial backing from the chairman with a transfer window not far away, and no interfering director of football.

I think he wanted a crack at a bigger club that he thought he could bring on, possibly the likes of one of the Dundees or an Edinburgh side, but otherwise I think County is a decent fit for him going on the above.

I've been told it's his if he wants it.

The fans would be absolutely delighted for Adams to be appointed. Those fans are, of course, the ones that support Hamilton, St Johnstone, Livi, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, etc.

We will all look forward to the couple of seasons he'll be there; Winter and Spring.

Edited by Ric

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've been told it's his if he wants it.

I'd imagine almost any job in the Country is "his if he wants it", tbh, barring a couple a couple of clubs at the top obvs.

He'd get free reign to run the club how he wanted, including signings, and he knows County can pay more than most in this division.

Not sure why he wouldn't take the job tbh.

County had someone else running the show when Papa Adams was DoF. In theory Ferguson is supposed to be doing the same job as Chief Exec, but he's clearly less ruthless than Adams was.

Derek Adams coming back would be interesting. His time had come a natural conclusion when he was sacked, but he's done reasonably okay since leaving County. I'd be keen to see how he would get on back in Dingwall without George above him.

Plus he's box office, baby.

17 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Got to feel for Kettlewell: he absolutely nailed the Superman 2 villain look and it still wasn't good enough for McGregor. I don't know what else he could have done.

FTFY

Could General Zod even save the Staggies? 

Sportsound mentioning Derek Adams - has Morecombe punching above their weight. I don't think he is interested coming back to Scottish football at the moment.

Yogi as said.

Gary Holt flung in rather lazily. 

Is there not a couple of ex-County players cutting their teeth in the HFL?