Alcohol and Football

Alcohol and Football  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You apparently follow the biggest, bestest, staunchest team in the world, and do so in the company of 50k or so like-minded folks. Is that not enough, that you need an artificial stimulant* as well?

*Asuming you're on the Buckie - alcohol is actually a depressant.

I think you are focusing on one single aspect of my post and taking it out of context just because you don’t like the team I support.

Why do people drink at music festivals? Why do people drink at comedy gigs? Why do people drink at weddings? Why do people drink when they’re out for dinner? Why do people drink at all?

Because, for the majority, it is a choice they make as they feel that it enhances whatever experience they are at. That’s the point I was making, if you disagree, fair enough, just stop trying to ridicule what I’ve said due to the team I follow.

Edited by AJF

I went to a Spartans game once and was able to have a drink at the game in their wee bar. Now we have folk like DA Baracus saying it will cost Premiership clubs too much to set up. What a load of pish.

Also: not sure why folk keep mentioning Carling as if that would be the drink of choice by clubs to serve. It would likely be Tennents and even then the options are endless. You could sell beers from local breweries. It would be an opportunity to showcase local beers. Would be class.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I think you are focusing on one single aspect of my post and taking it out of context just because you don’t like the team I support.

Why do people drink at music festivals? Why do people drink at comedy gigs? Why do people drink at weddings? Why do people drink when they’re out for dinner? Why do people drink at all?

Because, for the majority, it is a choice they make as they feel that it it enhances whatever experience they are at. That’s the point I was making, if you disagree, fair enough, just stop trying to ridicule what I’ve said due to the team I follow.

Sod all to do with the team you follow. All to do with the inability to leave the drug alone for two hours. Not you, anyone. When I still lived in Killie, my mates and I would meet up in the Broomhill, probably have one or two in the Goldberry, and at least one in the Portmann before every home game. We certainly weren't sober going into RP, and I doubt if we'd have passed a breath test at full time, either. Inside the ground? too busy singing, taunting the opposition, and watching the game. After the game, it was watch the results in a shop window on the way home before thinking about going back out on the beer.

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Sod all to do with the team you follow. All to do with the inability to leave the drug alone for two hours. Not you, anyone. When I still lived in Killie, my mates and I would meet up in the Broomhill, probably have one or two in the Goldberry, and at least one in the Portmann before every home game. We certainly weren't sober going into RP, and I doubt if we'd have passed a breath test at full time, either. Inside the ground? too busy singing, taunting the opposition, and watching the game. After the game, it was watch the results in a shop window on the way home before thinking about going back out on the beer.

What exactly is the relevance to this of whether there should be a law banning it from football? 

This is just your old Saturday afternoon routine. 

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I find that drinking before the game deadens the pain of watching Scottish football

Which given that the whole thing is an exercise in masochism means it lessens the experience rather than enhances it.

I was thinking back to why I liked Scottish football better when I younger. I thought it was to do with the quality of the football but I suspect it was because I was under the influence most of the time.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The argument isn’t about whether people can go 90 minutes without drinking it’s about why in the year 2022 fully grown adults in Scotland aren’t allowed to make these decisions for themselves as drinking at games got banned because of a riot in 1980. Times have changed and football fans in Scotland aren’t having drunken riots on your average 3 pm fixture on a Saturday in the middle of November.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I don't think anyone's looking down on the product - but I am very much looking down on those who claim to enjoy it "for the taste". Oh, there will be a few who do but, like unsanctimonious vegans, very few and far between.

I am not familiar with Glen's(sp?) vodka - is it a superior product to Absolut or Smirnoff?

It is Scottish vodka. There is definitely a difference in taste between Glen's and other vodkas that is easy to identify. Whereas Smirnoff, Absolut all taste pretty much the same to me. Most people probably associate the taste difference to cheapness.

Glen's did win in a blind taste test, probably because it stands out a little.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/5770943/10-vodkas-put-to-the-test.html

We retaste it neat and agree that it's still our favourite, with nice spicy notes and a faint hint of citrus and ginger.

What exactly is the relevance to this of whether there should be a law banning it from football? 
Yep, which included a two or two and a half gap in alcohol intake which didn't impact on our enjoyment of the game. An inability to abstain for two hours suggests, to me, at least some kind of dependence or, at the very least, a mindset which links the two factors together in an unhealthy way.

I well remember those dark days standing on the cinder terracing and drunks pishing where they stood, then we had the cans full of pish thrown over the crowd from the back, thankfully most of that has disappeared and at my club we have a bar on the outside of the stadium where all fans, home and away can enjoy a drink before the game.

3 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yep, which included a two or two and a half gap in alcohol intake which didn't impact on our enjoyment of the game. An inability to abstain for two hours suggests, to me, at least some kind of dependence or, at the very least, a mindset which links the two factors together in an unhealthy way.

The vast majority on this forum I suspect have spent most of their lives with an ‘ability’ to abstain for two hours for a game and continue to do so regularly, so what you’re saying is nonsense. 

also judging other people as dependent with your own routine of having a pre match pint as a reference is just about the most arrogant thing I think I’ve read on here. 

I feel like I go to games in two different ways: there are the big away days (city clubs away, lower league cup tie etc) where you get on it early, few cans on train/bus then pubs near the ground followed by the pre match spirit/shot to tide you over the actual football. The other way is the run of the mill home game where I get there at 2.30 and go straight home afterward.

I feel like the average football experience for most people is probably closer to the latter, yet it’s the rarer first one that people opposed to alcohol at games bring up to suggest problems etc. If it’s a big away day I doubt I’d usually bother with queuing for the hypothetical over priced pint since it would mainly be a peeing stimulant anyway, and would have no issues if say Hibs a few weekends ago had decided not to serve alcohol in the away end when we brought almost 2k rowdy fans. But being able to sit and sip exactly two pints with my mates while watching a nil nil draw with Ross County at home or in a sparse away crowd at Fir Park or something - where’s the harm in that?

I think the idea around categorising games is a good one and I’m not sure if I’ve seen anyone opposed to bringing back drink at games even make an attempt at arguing why it isn’t a good idea.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I went to a Spartans game once and was able to have a drink at the game in their wee bar. Now we have folk like DA Baracus saying it will cost Premiership clubs too much to set up. What a load of pish.

Also: not sure why folk keep mentioning Carling as if that would be the drink of choice by clubs to serve. It would likely be Tennents and even then the options are endless. You could sell beers from local breweries. It would be an opportunity to showcase local beers. Would be class.

Never said it would cost too much, I was saying that there are costs involved and that it may not be worth it for some clubs.

As for the part about selling beers from local breweries, that sounds like it would be great, but it goes back to the costs as well as demand. Would it be viable to buy stuff from local breweries when it might not sell as well as something like Tennents? Maybe it would, and I'd be all for it. But maybe it wouldn't be. That would probably be something to look at once a sort of 'core' of customers was established I suppose. Perhaps clubs could even consult fans (a mental thought).

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Never said it would cost too much, I was saying that there are costs involved and that it may not be worth it for some clubs.

As for the part about selling beers from local breweries, that sounds like it would be great, but it goes back to the costs as well as demand. Would it be viable to buy stuff from local breweries when it might not sell as well as something like Tennents? Maybe it would, and I'd be all for it. But maybe it wouldn't be. That would probably be something to look at once a sort of 'core' of customers was established I suppose. Perhaps clubs could even consult fans (a mental thought).

Clubs well down the English pyramid sell alcohol ie well into the non-leagues in front of a few hundred fans.

No idea of the economics of it but can guarantee they wouldn't be doing it if they were losing money