How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I'd be astonished if more than a couple of percent of the population know a figure for that, or what the initialism stands for. 

I know averages and can estimate what calories i need to lose weight. 

Surely most people work on the basis that if they're putting on weight they need to eat less and less commonly losing weight, eat more. 

I think throwing jargon around makes it sound difficult and will put people off engaging. 

Yeah that's a fair point. I'm a mathematician with quite an interest in it so I've got a bit of a geeky stake in things.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Banning 500ml plus sized cans and bottles of " energy drinks" would be a start. Number of kids never mind adults you see with a can of that calorie laden shit permanently glued to their hand is unbelievable.

Absolutely mental the number of people who drink multiple cans of that stuff a day.

They must have guts like Will from the Inbetweeners permanently

Todd's right to some degree regarding the 'big is beautiful' thing though. 

Even if GPs will point out the unhealthiness to the individuals, there still seems to be a general apparent vibe out in the wider world that it's 'ok' to be overweight, and it's the ones who point it out that are in the wrong.   

I guess most will probably harbour negative thoughts in their mind, but won't dare say it to the people themselves who will be buying the BIB message whilst hearing little to argue against it.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Todd's right to some degree regarding the 'big is beautiful' thing though. 

Even if GPs will point out the unhealthiness to the individuals, there still seems to be a general apparent vibe out in the wider world that it's 'ok' to be overweight, and it's the ones who point it out are in the wrong.   

I guess most will probably harbour negative thoughts in their mind, but won't dare say it to the people themselves who will be buying the BIB message. 

Again, no one is sending the message that its healthy, just that you don't have to strive to be Kate Moss. Its societies fault that women found themselves under such pressure in the firsdt place so whilst this big is beautiful messaging might be a bit blunt, what else is there that's better?

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

We are, though. The article Michael W posted sums it up perfectly.

I'm sorry, but it doesn't. It shows some (misguided) people were offended by something, to which the relevant charity acted firmly but with understanding, and I can't see anywhere that the charity removed or altered the campaign at all. So no, someone complained about being offended by something and the result was a shrug of the shoulders and "tough". Not exactly the actions taken in a society where, again to use your own words:

we are terrified to point out something as obvious as "being overweight is unhealthy" in case we offend people

would also point out that is a single example from 2018.

17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There must be more to it than that though.  People in countries like Japan and Korea work longer than most .  They have an abundance of fast food options, and convenience stores are on every corner.  They consume alcohol liberally.  Yet obesity isn't as much of  a problem as it is in the UK.

Good point, not sure why that is. Maybe their fast food is a bit healthier like fish and noodles rather than a burger?

No idea about Japan but its a good question. Apart from sumo wrestlers I've not seen many fat Japanese people tbh

There is no question, fatty suggary foods + alcohol + stress will equal getting obese when combined with no exercise. 

37 minutes ago, deegee said:

It must be heartbreaking for teachers, when trying to incorporate healthy eating and cookery classes into the curriculum, especially at Primary level, to see a) the “starting point where the children already are in terms of weight and gluttony b) the state of the lunchboxes given to the kids by their parents and c) the lack of vegetables and fresh fruit sold by local smaller supermarkets in some of these deprived areas versus number of shit takeaway shops.

I am not exempting fat rich kids, however truth is they usually have better options with usually better sports facilities at their schools, usually have some friends with parents who’ll cook better foods and expose them to healthier options etc. 

I think we need to focus generally on educating youngsters and as said by others, improve sports and fitness availability of facilities and opportunities. Let’s make gluttony be similar in the future to how kids now view smoking and to an extent over indulging booze compared to my generation (+50).

In theory free school meals should counter this, obviously they should be given a far bigger budget to work within but then you could have kids trying all kinds of food with just 2 choices meat and non meat, when I was at school the only fish we had was breaded on Fridays that's pathetic for an island nation.

30 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd be willing to bet that less than 5% of folk know what their TDEE is.

Calories is another bugbear of mine. There are so many products that are deliberately misleading or make it incredibly difficult to work out how many calories are in it.

It's odd that it's usually products that are fairly bad for you that disguise it. Also there should be a standard that means the nutritional info is per 100g and per pack because "serving" is bullshit. Who shares a 500ml bottle of Irn Bru

23 minutes ago, Gaz said:

TDEE is the number of calories your body needs in an average day just to "stay the same". It stands for your total daily energy expenditure. It's made up of three things:

1) Your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) - this is how many calories your body needs a day just to stay alive. Imagine lying in your bed all day without moving, your body would still need calories to keep your cardiovascular, nervous, digestive systems etc. all going.

2) The calories you need for day-to-day living - walking around the house, getting to work, working, sitting watching TV.

3) The calories you need for any additional exercise.

I was going to say I hadn't heard of that, is there a hard and fast way to figure it out?

But this is what I mean about regularly seeing a doc or health professional they should look at you and say if you lie down all day you need this many calories etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I'm sorry, but it doesn't. It shows some (misguided) people were offended by something, to which the relevant charity acted firmly but with understanding, and I can't see anywhere that the charity removed or altered the campaign at all. So no, someone complained about being offended by something and the result was a shrug of the shoulders and "tough". Not exactly the actions taken in a society where, again to use your own words:

we are terrified to point out something as obvious as "being overweight is unhealthy" in case we offend people

would also point out that is a single example from 2018.

How about a more recent example then?

Bearing in mind we are in the middle of a pandemic where being overweight is a big risk factor, this is definitely not healthy.

callie-1608131330.png

Really looking forward to the "I bought this healthy dinner for a total of £3.22, fat people are at it when they say they can't eat healthy cheaply" type posts. 

None so far so I'll be the first! We started eating healthy at the start of the year and our food bill is far lower. It really is a myth that buying healthy ingredients is more expensive than buying processed stuff. That's before you add in takeaway food. Even bits like McDonalds are extortionate now and you don't get much change from a £20 when you get a pizza shop takeaway down here, probably worse in Cities. £20 is almost half of our weekly food bill now.

I don't know what the solution is but education has to be a big part and focussing on two areas in particular - 1. It isn't more expensive to eat healthy and more importantly 2. What to do with the ingredients. The cookbooks I use now I'd never have thought to combine some of the ingredients they suggest, I expect millions are in the same boat.

The reality of obesity is that, like addiction, the person has to want to change their lifestyle first and foremost and no amount if education or funding will change that until they are in the mindset to lose weight.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

It's odd that it's usually products that are fairly bad for you that disguise it. Also there should be a standard that means the nutritional info is per 100g and per pack because "serving" is bullshit. Who shares a 500ml bottle of Irn Bru

They should go further and be literal with their nutritional labels and say 'This packet/bottle you're holding in your hand, which, lets face it, you're going to consume yourself, is x amount of calories/grams of fat/carbs/protein'.

This serving/per 100g/mg is labeling is daft.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Bearing in mind we are in the middle of a pandemic where being overweight is a big risk factor, this is definitely not healthy.

callie-1608131330.png

Absolutely agreed, although as @Bairnardo has pointed out this is more a calibration problem as part of the effort to balance the equally unhealthy standards placed upon women historically. Obviously this needs to be corrected. But it is not evidence that:

We live in a world now where we are terrified to point out something as obvious as "being overweight is unhealthy" in case we offend people

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

30 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Again, no one is sending the message that its healthy, just that you don't have to strive to be Kate Moss. Its societies fault that women found themselves under such pressure in the firsdt place so whilst this big is beautiful messaging might be a bit blunt, what else is there that's better?

"There's no need to cry if you've got a healthy BMI"

"You can still look doss, even if yer no' Kate Moss"

"Don't be a mess, eat a bit less, and help take the strain off the poor NHS"

"Roland Rat says don't be fat, yeah"

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

They should go further and be literal with their nutritional labels and say 'This packet/bottle you're holding in your hand, which, lets face it, you're going to consume yourself, is x amount of calories/grams of fat/carbs/protein'.

This serving/per 100g/mg is labeling is daft.

Agree with this. I don't have a problem with them keeping the 100g/ml stuff, and the per portion stuff, but everything thing should have the total per pack on it as a minimum requirement.

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Banning 500ml plus sized cans and bottles of " energy drinks" would be a start. Number of kids never mind adults you see with a can of that calorie laden shit permanently glued to their hand is unbelievable.

Remember the chocolate manufacturers comitting to scrapping king sized bars a few years ago. They just replaced them with "duos" under the flimsy pretence that people would leave one for later. You'd just end up with a "handy twin pack" or some shit. 

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

We are, though. The article Michael W posted sums it up perfectly.

Why are you scared of the opinion of some hypersensitive do gooder? 

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

callie-1608131330.png

That's clearly not healthy. 

But that doesn't explain why you'd be terrified to say that

(wid by the way)