Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I see Pressley has put his name forward.

Genuinely the first I've ever heard of him being an Aberdeen fan. I thought he was Celtic.

He was on off the ball earlier in the season and he said he'd grown up an Aberdeen fan. I had no idea of that until then either but apparently from Elgin.

In any case, thank you Steven but please take yourself as far into the sea as possible.

14 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The latest Here We Go podcast is worth a listen - and having listened to it, I am 99% sure it'll be Glass.

They do seem to be telling us that Glass is coming in some kind of role although not necessarily Head Coach (which appears to be the new set up with a Head Coach and DoF type). 

Whoever comes in will need to understand that Cormack is the main man now... 

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

What a great interview from McMaster! "When I first arrived at Aberdeen in 1972 I saw a team of losers and runners-ups" before going on, "That was the mentality back then and it’s crept back into the club under Derek"...

I like McMaster and a lot of his article was a good read, but to suggest that McInnes was responsible for the malaise at AFC is a bit unfair. What about the previous 20 odd years before he arrived.  We didn't get to enough semis/finals to even have a chance to put on a predictable insipid display. 

Also, a tad unfair on the team that won the 1970 Scottish Cup as well - albeit they did blow the 71 league.

No acknowledgement that the playing field is so much less level these days as well.

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

He was on off the ball earlier in the season and he said he'd grown up an Aberdeen fan. I had no idea of that until then either but apparently from Elgin.

In any case, thank you Steven but please take yourself as far into the sea as possible.

Priscilla - thanks but no thanks - still never forgotten all his dives that inevitably led to penalties against us at Tynecastle.

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Alan Curbishley :lol:

I forgot how ridiculous changing managers was.

Separating it from the Aberdeen story, there has to be more to the facts that Curbishley went from (before the EPL really went money and foreign owner/manager crazy) being quite a highly rated manager to just completely out of the picture for managerial jobs? 

10 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Separating it from the Aberdeen story, there has to be more to the facts that Curbishley went from (before the EPL really went money and foreign owner/manager crazy) being quite a highly rated manager to just completely out of the picture for managerial jobs? 

Not 100% sure - seems he took West Ham to court for constructive dismissal and won back in 2009ish. Resigned over players being sold but sued them as he had a clause in his contract about having final say over player sales. Might be off putting for clubs. Or maybe he couldn't be arsed anymore.

32 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I like McMaster and a lot of his article was a good read, but to suggest that McInnes was responsible for the malaise at AFC is a bit unfair. What about the previous 20 odd years before he arrived.  We didn't get to enough semis/finals to even have a chance to put on a predictable insipid display. 

Also, a tad unfair on the team that won the 1970 Scottish Cup as well - albeit they did blow the 71 league.

No acknowledgement that the playing field is so much less level these days as well.

Six home draws with teams we beat away...

5 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Glass is now 4/9....

I know the Managers betting market is a volatile nonsense but consider me very underwhelmed 

I don't trust Cormack. He's made no attempt to leave America at all since March last year and comes across as a Billy big-time on social media.

He is probably still sulking that his £800,000 signing of Hernandez was constantly ignored by McInnes and wants a manager he can control in charge.

I still think Glass will be manager.

I wanted McInnes out but not to be replaced by this scenario.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Not 100% sure - seems he took West Ham to court for constructive dismissal and won back in 2009ish. Resigned over players being sold but sued them as he had a clause in his contract about having final say over player sales. Might be off putting for clubs. Or maybe he couldn't be arsed anymore.

I know it could be off putting for some clubs and certainly the ones with a healthy choice of options but when you think of clubs like Sunderland/Sheffield Wednesday etc who have struggled in England for years you wonder why none have gone for him. As you said though maybe it’s just not what he wants to do.

I can’t remember if it was Redknapp at QPR but someone had Curbishly involved as some sort of assistant/DOF a few years ago as part of quite a big coaching setup that may have also included Glenn Hoddle. In fact as I’m typing it possibly it was Tim Sherwood at Spurs who had them both as back up.

15 hours ago, ken es said:

Yes with our links with Atlanta through Cormack seems we may be going down a different route.DOF and head coach. 

Can we afford another wage?

Listening to podcast i agree looks like Glass .

I'm an Aberdeen fan and don't give 2fs for Atlanta and hating the link with them.

Jeez maybe think about changing from the Dons to the Dolphins or some other meaningless  pish .

Joking of course.

Unless the new head coach/DoF is on 17k per week then almost certainly.

19 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I think we're an attractive proposition for a lot of managers

Pre-covid debts were wiped

New training facilities

Rodgers and Gerrard coming to Scotland and either rehabbing or enhancing their reputations.

I think this is probably why an Atlanta - Aberdeen fait accompli appointment would be a bit disappointing.

That's not to say Glass (if it is him) may not turn out to be a good option but I'd guess that if the job was genuinely open to applicants then you'd probably find a decent level of interest and possibly some unexpected applicants. I mean, Eddie Howe and the like may be completely delusional shouts but the Aberdeen job should still be pretty attractive to an ambitious coach.

The rub with that is that an 'ambitious' coach probably only sees Aberdeen as a stepping stone so you only get 2 or max 3 seasons out him but I'd guess that's something the support could live with if he brought some sort of tangible success.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think this is probably why an Atlanta - Aberdeen fait accompli appointment would be a bit disappointing.

That's not to say Glass (if it is him) may not turn out to be a good option but I'd guess that if the job was genuinely open to applicants then you'd probably find a decent level of interest and possibly some unexpected applicants. I mean, Eddie Howe and the like may be completely delusional shouts but the Aberdeen job should still be pretty attractive to an ambitious coach.

The rub with that is that an 'ambitious' coach probably only sees Aberdeen as a stepping stone so you only get 2 or max 3 seasons out him but I'd guess that's something the support could live with if he brought some sort of tangible success.

Yes, hard to disagree with this. If an Aberdeen manager is truly successful then he probably has a three year shelf life. This is the case for all managers up here IMO.

We saw that with McInnes except he chose to stay.

16 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The latest Here We Go podcast is worth a listen - and having listened to it, I am 99% sure it'll be Glass.

Yep, that's the impression I got too.  I think Cormack has realised that putting himself in the dugout is a step too far, but can appoint someone that could pass for a younger version of himself.

Cormack-Glass.jpg

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I have no issue with an ambitious coach who sees us as a stepping stone. Obviously within reason, you don't want someone who is going to do one season then jump ship immediately but absolutely give me a guy who wants to put himself in the shop window by achieving something special and alerting the bigger leagues.

That's how I saw Mcinnes for his early days, yes he fell short at times but he clearly wanted us to be winning trophies regularly and competing in the EL group stages to put himself in that spotlight. Towards the end it felt more like he was having to defend the more average performances, in relative terms.

I think the Aberdeen job is a tough gig TBH and I wonder what type of manager really suits it. Like Hearts supporters, Dons (rightly?) have a built in high expectation level based on having a bigger budget than other non-OF clubs but does that budget really make the sort of difference that people think it does? 

OF aside, in any given season, budget doesn't necessarily equal league placing and with that in mind, McInnes arguably has had Aberdeen punching their weight quite comfortably, which isn't easy. I get that he had probably hit his expiration date as over the number of years he's been in charge, there are lots of opportunities to erode goodwill from the support until you don't have much left to get you through a crap spell of form but this is arguably one of the harsher sackings of recent years.

By sacking a manager when you are in a European berth and 3 points off the highest realistic position that's available, you make the job description for the new manager pretty tough. It's basically "win cups and keep the league position the same or you've failed" and winning cups is much less of a science than being consistent in the league is (eg, I've seen 'Well in 4 finals since we won a cup and they've all been against good Celtic and Rangers sides rather than fellow diddies).

tl;dr: I'd be surprised if anyone that is a realistic prospect of taking the job could make a significant enough improvement to meet expectations.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the Aberdeen job is a tough gig TBH and I wonder what type of manager really suits it. Like Hearts supporters, Dons (rightly?) have a built in high expectation level based on having a bigger budget than other non-OF clubs but does that budget really make the sort of difference that people think it does? 

OF aside, in any given season, budget doesn't necessarily equal league placing and with that in mind, McInnes arguably has had Aberdeen punching their weight quite comfortably, which isn't easy. I get that he had probably hit his expiration date as over the number of years he's been in charge, there are lots of opportunities to erode goodwill from the support until you don't have much left to get you through a crap spell of form but this is arguably one of the harsher sackings of recent years.

By sacking a manager when you are in a European berth and 3 points off the highest realistic position that's available, you make the job description for the new manager pretty tough. It's basically "win cups and keep the league position the same or you've failed" and winning cups is much less of a science than being consistent in the league is (eg, I've seen 'Well in 4 finals since we won a cup and they've all been against good Celtic and Rangers sides rather than fellow diddies).

tl;dr: I'd be surprised if anyone that is a realistic prospect of taking the job could make a significant enough improvement to meet expectations.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/06/25/aberdeen-football-club-unveils-football-philosophy-and-strategy/#:~:text=The Club is aiming to,feet%2C with intensity and pace.

This is what they're after.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think also on the non-footballing side players 9 times out of 10 players are going to choose Hibs/Hearts over Aberdeen. Aberdeen having a bigger budget is often to encourage the same level of player just to stay in Aberdeen.

ETA - same could be said for Ross County competing with several central belt clubs. 

Edited by gannonball