Sarah Everard

Are the idiots calling on a 6pm curfew on men actually for fucking real?? Far too much infringement of human rights for start.  What's going to happen if a woman kills a man under the same circumstances?? Call for a curfew on women as well?? Lot of fucking nonsense.

43 minutes ago, 101 said:

We are a fucking weird country.

A satirist couldn't dream of encapsulating Britain in five words like that officer's done. :lol:

Right down to the inadvertent conflation between a statue with the actual Winston Churchill.

12 minutes ago, philpy said:

Are the idiots calling on a 6pm curfew on men actually for fucking real?? Far too much infringement of human rights for start.  What's going to happen if a woman kills a man under the same circumstances?? Call for a curfew on women as well?? Lot of fucking nonsense.

No. Look it up, FFS.

13 minutes ago, philpy said:

Are you stupid?

35 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

As I said, there are faults in many aspects of this.
It certainly appears from the small clips we have seen that there was heavy handedness. It would be good to hear what caused the police to adopt such an approach before forming a firm conclusion though....

I think it's fairly obvious their was a misunderstanding of their primary role in the circumstances. That means senior officers didn't make it clear to those on the ground. Even allowing for that, the execution of crowd control and dispersal was terribly carried out. Remember, this wasn't the BNP or Anarchists.

There will have been agitators in attendance some known to police, others not. Deal with them in the usual way. Have you ever seen the police snatch someone out a crowd at a game? I have and their very efficient when they do it properly.

16 minutes ago, philpy said:

No, they aren't serious, they are making a point. Ask yourself why they haven't explained how it would be implemented. There's a reason they haven't, because it couldn't be. It's no more serious than saying men should have babies.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

7 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

A satirist couldn't dream of encapsulating Britain in five words like that officer's done. :lol:

Right down to the inadvertent conflation between a statue with the actual Winston Churchill.

I'm actually gone at that tweet. I've seen it in three different places and I'm still convinced it has to be a shit post. There's no chance anyone in any position of authority has made the decision after yesterday's event to prioritise a fucking statue of Winston Churchill. Chris Morris should just chuck the satire game at this point.

19 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Are you stupid?

No, but thanks anyway...

I'm only trying to get my head around the fact that someone would even think about the whole fucking idea.

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

No, but thanks anyway...

I'm only trying to get my head around the fact that someone would even think about the whole fucking idea.

The lady who said it did so to satirise the dreadful police advice that women should stay home after dark. Don't be part of the problem.

Also I kind of skim read the first pages of this but just to address the "but the statistics suggest women are being unreasonably paranoid!!!" crowd.

Since we're on a Scottish football forum, I'll make a tentative (but not direct) comparison that might help you to empathise a bit more.

From what I've read on P&B, hibs.net and Twitter, there are a fair few fans of the 'other ten teams' in the Premiership each season who refuse to go to games against the Old Firm at home, particularly if they normally take their kids along with them. Reasons cited tend to be "don't want to subject my kids to ninety minutes of sectarian bile" and/or potential crowd trouble.

Now, I on the other hand, love games against the Old Firm. There's no better feeling than watching the c***s slink away on the rare occasions that Hibs beat them.

From my experiences - and I'm pretty sure that the statistics would back this up - given that there's ninety minutes in a football match, the Old Firm fans probably spend about two minutes tops actually belting out sectarian songs. Most of it's just taking their ultras taking the newest song from the European terraces and adapting it to suit them (every Saturday we follow etc.). It's not particularly interesting to listen to, especially if they've gone 2-0 up early on and are cantering to a victory, but it's not ninety minutes of sectarian bile.

So, statistically speaking, these fans who say "I'm going to watch my team play the Old Firm at home" are depriving themselves of a game because they think it's highly likely that they'll be confronted by something that is not happening very much.

However, there is a historical and cultural legacy that means "Old Firm fans = sectarian singing", which influences how they think and the decision they make.

The point is that decisions aren't always completely guided by statistical data and 'logic', especially over things as primal as fearing for your personal safety.

If you are a woman alone at night, are you going to walk through an unlit park because "well the data says it's very unlikely this'll end badly", or are you going to remember the dozens of media cases where women died doing exactly that?

TLDR; ram your statistics.

Going by the brief period we spent playing them regularly, The Rangers spend the first fifteen minutes belting out the songbook, then settle down to see what's happening on their phones.